Test drive dilemma

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Test drive dilemma

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Question to all

I went for a test drive in a 2.0 TSI DSG yesterday. Wow. Let me start by saying how much I loved it! What a motor.. I badly want one now.

The only trouble is that absolutely no VW dealers in my area had the car I actually want to buy to test drive - which is a 1.4 TSI with DSG. The nearest equivalent was the 2.0 TSI DSG. So, I thought this would give me the closest experience in order to make a decision. I'm left a little nervous. I'm nervous because I want to place an order this week (because of the long build time - dealer quoted me 14 weeks). The problem is that I feel I'm taking a big risk in ordering a car I've never driven (not done this with any past car purchase). It's a lot of money to make a potential mistake.

Has anybody else had the same dilemma?
How did you solve it?
Can anybody put my mind at ease?

I'm thinking of placing my order with either Broadspeed or Drive The Deal with a few extras: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone A/C, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddles, Front & Rear Mats and Rising Blue metallic paint. Any good/bad reports about these online brokers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gary_Monkey
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: Test drive dilemma

Post by wigit »

back in july last year ordered mine of the magazine pictures, think i drove one 3 weeks before it arrived, only grumble was the comedy right height when i picked it up, that said i've been no rush to go for an r as its a car i'd like to try before i buy to see if it meets my expecations, a few guys have also used Broadspeed and got some stonking deals

a few 7speed dsg owners on here may be able to give some feedback
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
bianco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

Remember to get the Tire Pressure thing at almost no cost, and the rear park assist at half the cost of a dent... :yes:

From reading magasins with pretty pictures, I have gathered that the 2.0 is a little more brute force and the 1.4 is a little more well balanced. But the difference is marginal.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

I'm in the same boat Gary, I test drove the 2.0 Tsi DSG as it was the only engine my local dealer had (even though they had 3 cars at the time) but have ordered the 1.4 Tsi Manual.
My dealer wasn't even able to source a golf with that engine for me to test drive to get a similar feel. Because of the newness of the engine it is highly unlikely that you will be able to source the exact engine through the dealer network at least you have test driven the right gearbox!

Also I have placed my order through Broadspeed, so far so good but I only placed my order this time last week (have had all the paper work through & lots of updates though) other brokers you might like tha take a look at are Dealdrivers, I heard about them from jc74 they also came in with an extremely good price but have not dealt with them, or Orangewheels might be worth a look.

S
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Try to test drive a Golf GT with the 1.4TSI engine. Ride won't be too different (similar suspension set-up, albeit without ACC that you get on the Scirocco, same steering wheel as the MY2010 Scirocco). It's as close as you'll get to a Scirocco 1.4TSI.

My dealer hasn't had any in yet - every Scirocco sold has either been a 2.0TSI GT or 2.0TDI in both GT and non-GT trim.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Nobby
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

I had a similar problem

I test drove a 1.4 manual Scirocco (3 times in different garages before buying) but could only find a diesel Seat to try the DSG !

I liked the engine & the box separately so I figured they would be good together, so I ordered a 1.4 TSI DSG :)
pat15312
In: Candy White
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

i had the exact same thing. i test drove a 2.0 dsg and loved it but was worried i wouldn't like the 1.4 as much.
the 1.4 is a quality engine and not much slower that the 2.0 to 60mph!
one thing i would say is that if your planning on doing any engine modifications AT ALL, don't get the dsg as it has a torque limit set on it to prevent damage to the amazing (if slightly fragile) 7 speed gearbox.
As soon as you do anything to increase performance, you'll be up over the 250nm torque limit (it has 240nm to start with) and you will get a smaller benefit from the modifications as you will never be able to lay down more than 250nm of torque.
this is the main reason why i didn't have the dsg. i REALY wanted the paddle shift... but i wanted performance more...
pm me if you have any questions!
222bhp & 340Nm
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

snap, my dealer has a number of branches all over south wales and they dont have any rocs, no demos no rocs for sale nothing.

as i said to him, how can i be expected to buy a car that i havnt driven????

the best they can offer is a golf gti dsg which isnt really the same as i told him.

im now having to look further a field such as bristol, england etc.

if anyone can help please let me know. thanks.
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

I sourced my car through Broadspeed, first time i had used a broker. I have to say my experience of the whole process was faultless, the supplying dealer was in touch within a couple of hours of me paying the broker fee and i dealt with the dealer from that point on. I guess your experience could differ slightly depending on which one you end up with at the brokers tend to use a number of brokers.

It was just like buying directly from the dealer except i had to pay £299 upfront but saved £2000 on the list price so it was a no brainer. The dealer was certainly not local to me, about an hour and half away but this didn't present a problem. It just gave me an opportunity to get to know the car on the way back!
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
Dr_Doug
In: Candy White

Post by Dr_Doug »

For onfo,

I dealt with Orangewheels.com & have so far been very pleased with the experience. Put me in contact with the dealer without taking any 'fee' upfront. I assume they get a 'finders fee' from the dealer if you buy. Dealer is some way away (Manchester area) but can deliver the car on Transporter if required.

DrivetheDeal seemed to be pretty good as well (and were a bit cheaper) but their dealers couldn't offer the Scirocco on the scrappage scheme (due to the lead time).
sth
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Xenon • Part-Leather • RNS310 Dynaudio • Some more stuff a car like this should have • Bad spelling (sorry) ;)

Post by sth »

Gary_Monkey wrote:I went for a test drive in a 2.0 TSI DSG yesterday. Wow. Let me start by saying how much I loved it! What a motor.. I badly want one now.
Before test-driving the Roc' I thought that the 1.4/160hp engine would be a great package in terms of price/performance. After driving a 1.4 and two 2.0s I still think it is BUT the 2.0 is just so much fun that I ended up ordering a 2.0 with a manual box (DSG is great but not a must-have for me).