Winter wheels 2014 Scirocco GT

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
ashandiamo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pure White
With a: DSG box

Winter wheels 2014 Scirocco GT

Post by ashandiamo »

I have a 2014 Scirocco 150 Tdi GT which came with the 18" Interlagos alloys. I love the car and was lucky enough to pick up a set of genuine VW 17" Donnington alloys which I planned to fit winter tyres to for winter use.
I went to order tyres from a well known Internet company but first asked if there was likely to be any issues downsizing from 18" to 17" on the car. A really helpful guy contacted me and said that it might not be possible to downsize as the vehicle stability control would sense a change in rotation etc and could effectively kick in and cause serious vehicle stability issues.
He must must be concerned to tell me such a thing because he's potentially just done himself out of a set of four tyres.
I thought it was a simple switch from the 18" to 17" as I'm keeping the standard tyre sizes that each wheel was originally fitted with.
Any advice from the forum would be really appreciated as I'm pretty confused. I also contacted VW but not heard anything yet.
Thanks
Andy
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Winter wheels 2014 Scirocco GT

Post by Cuprabob »

You won't have any issues downsizing to 17" from 18".
The guy is just being over cautious and maybe not aware that 17" wheels are one of the OEM fitments on a Scirocco. Just stick to the OEM tyre sizes and you'll be fine.
Griffspeed
I drive a: R-Line
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise control
Winter pack
Folding mirrors

Post by Griffspeed »

I have the same car as you. My winter wheels are 17" and standards are 18".
No problems at all - you only need to reset the tyre pressure monitor as the rolling rotation is different.
Other than that, perfect swap.
D C
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, electric seat, 19"Luganos

Post by D C »

I've run 16" with offset 38 for the last two winters and absolutely no problems.
Shod with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D which are excellent and very quiet. DCC set to sport works nicely.
Don't forget to tell your insurance company, as with me there should be no problem and no extra cost.
Dave.
Dave.
ashandiamo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pure White

Post by ashandiamo »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I suspected the 17's would be fine but wanted to check.
They originally had 235/45/17 tyres but I was considering moving to 215/50/17 for the winter tyres. I've checked the rolling diameter and it is almost identical and feel the narrower width might be a good thing for the winter.
Andy