How often do you wash your car

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
flashash
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio, Dab RAdio, Factory Bluetooth, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors. Leather

How often do you wash your car

Post by flashash »

How often do you guys wash your cars, and is it possible to wash it too often.
Sure my neighbour think I am strange. Wash it nearly twice a week, but I do have to park under a tree at work and it gets covered in sap an bird plop.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Re: How often do you wash your car

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Usually once every 2 weeks but sometimes once a week. Atm it hasn't been washed in over 3 weeks due to being busy with work.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
xiaohong
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box

Post by xiaohong »

I wash it everyday
Skollers
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: ECU Remapped to 175bhp
Bluetooth (OEM)
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors
Upgraded bulbs

Post by Skollers »

I will admit I don't wash mine often but it does get washed about very 2 wks normally costs me £5 lol
2009 2.0gt tdi 140bhp
2003 Suzuki Gsxr 1000 Rizla green/yellow (My baby) !
BunnyJen

Post by BunnyJen »

Normally once a week sometimes every two weeks. But at one point I was like you and parked under a tree which kept covering it in tree sap and bird poop. In the end I complained so much I got a new space. I was rinsing it off most nights in fear of my paintwork being damaged, and received funny looks from the neighbours. ;)
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Who cares - wash it as many times as you like and #&@! what anyone else thinks :)

I wash mine one a fortnight, maybe once a week, but I'll spend all day on it. I do get funny looks from my neighbour sometimes but just give him funny looks when he mows his lawn several times a week :rolleyes:

*EDIT* for bird crap, I find using a very warm (almost hot) squirty bottle of water on the affected area will usually shift most of it, without needing to do a wash :)
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
butchcannon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by butchcannon »

probably every couple of weeks on average but depends on weather and external factors.

Will be spending all day ion it this weekend though with my clay bar and filling in stone chips. That's a once every 6 months or so job
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I find a strong dilution of valet pro citrus power left to dwell for a few mins then use pressure washer to rinse down removes bird crap.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
dimexi
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Not as often as I'd like... However, I have been in an out of VW a few times in the past 3 months, so they have been doing the washing :):):)
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

dimexi wrote:Not as often as I'd like... However, I have been in an out of VW a few times in the past 3 months, so they have been doing the washing :):):)
And the scratching no doubt! ;)
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Nuh, they haven't scratched anything - I run a pretty tight inspection ;). I don't mind when others wash my car anyway, getting worried about things like that only raises your blood pressure.

I am going to look for a local detailer though, I think my 'roc deserves it. Once I fit in the bluetooth kit, I will get searching
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Fair enough.. But I personally wouldn't let the valeters at dealers wash my car. After watching undercover boss the other night and seeing how Hyundai dealers wash there cars I wouldn't let any dealer touch mine.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:I find a strong dilution of valet pro citrus power left to dwell for a few mins then use pressure washer to rinse down removes bird crap.
Yep. Good stuff.

I wash mine when it needs doing and when I've got the time for it.

Better doing that than most car washes. Just been out and watched them at a new hand car wash near us. Saw one guy using a long handled brush on the roof of one car and then put it down on the ground when he's finished. Another guy pressure washing a car using a dirt burster lance (too aggressive) and another washing the front from bottom to top and all the bonnet with one slurp of water.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

ZephyR wrote:
whiteDevil_170 wrote:I find a strong dilution of valet pro citrus power left to dwell for a few mins then use pressure washer to rinse down removes bird crap.
Better doing that than most car washes. Just been out and watched them at a new hand car wash near us. Saw one guy using a long handled brush on the roof of one car and then put it down on the ground when he's finished. Another guy pressure washing a car using a dirt burster lance (too aggressive) and another washing the front from bottom to top and all the bonnet with one slurp of water.
And that's the reason why I don't trust using them.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

ZephyR wrote:
Yep. Good stuff.

Stuff like that does worry me I guess, but I live in flats and I don't have any taps in sight, so I can't start any kind of pressure water :(. Would be buckets of water hurled down the stairs for me
butchcannon

Post by butchcannon »

dimexi wrote:
ZephyR wrote:
Yep. Good stuff.

Stuff like that does worry me I guess, but I live in flats and I don't have any taps in sight, so I can't start any kind of pressure water :(. Would be buckets of water hurled down the stairs for me
i used to use 'Showroom Shine' on my old car when i lived in flats. The car park was underground so no taps and no wind so using a waterless washing thing like that worked wonders.

I'd never take my car to a 'valet' or other cheap hadn car wash for the above reasons. I don;t trust where their brushes etc have been or for thme to clean them between cars