What would you do?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
v4nisher
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Leathers heated
Golf Gti Gear stick (Mk5)
BBS CH
LED bulb interior
Xenons
Heated Leather Seats

What would you do?

Post by v4nisher »

OK, so cut a long story short, in a private car park my car was parked.......I went to work....came back after work, and it was apparent somebody had reversed into my back bumper, and got off.....luckily a little note was left by a witness who saw everything.

A big Mercedes Vito had tried to get into a spot failed, and hit my bumper, reversed drove out the car park, 2 mins later came back look at the damage on my car and drove off again, all seen by my witness who managed to get the reg of the car.

I rang my witness who was prepared to leave a statement for my insurance upon me making a claim against the third party.....

Subsequently had my car repaired payed the excess, and waited patiently whilst my insurance company got in touch with the third party's insurance company etc.......

2months dragged by, and It appears the third party admitted liability!! I received my excess back in the form of a nice cheque .....

Now at the time, I said to myself if I win this, I will reward the witness. As in this day and age to find a person that will do that is 50-50 in my eyes....

I thought to myself a bottle of champagne would be a nice touch to give to my witness....

However I would like to see other peoples thoughts on this? what would you give as a reward just to say thanks?

As if he never put the note on my windscreen I would have lost out in terms of money spent repairing it, via insurance or privately

thanks
Ian_Mac
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Re: What would you do?

Post by Ian_Mac »

Sounds like a good idea, you could always ask what their favourite tipple is then you know it will be enjoyed as well.
BenBAC
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box

Post by BenBAC »

Nice touch, I would like to thank them if I were in your position.
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Ask if the person wants it, they might not drink alcohol. But it's a very very nice touch! Glad people like that are around. I'd do the same thing
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I agree sounds like a nice touch.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

dimexi wrote:Ask if the person wants it, they might not drink alcohol. But it's a very very nice touch! Glad people like that are around. I'd do the same thing
Was thinking the same thing - how about vouchers for a nice restaurant instead?
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

I would give them a 20 and they can do what they want with it. Gave a taxi driver a tenner after leaving my phone in his car and him finding my home number in the phone and ringing me.
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

robinalex wrote:I would give them a 20 and they can do what they want with it. Gave a taxi driver a tenner after leaving my phone in his car and him finding my home number in the phone and ringing me.
Just giving Cash to a stranger might be a bit much really. I'd definitely convert it to some kind of gift; he/she might be insulted by just being handed a £20 note, dont you guys think? And can be kind of awkward too, except if it's in the services industry
buster
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Indium Grey
Options: chrome exhaust tips, chrome sill protecters, over carpets.

Post by buster »

Nice to think someone cared enough to leave you a note, reward with a gift as the person will probably refuse a cash sum anyway, :yes: to you for the thought, not all is lost in this self centred get away with it if you can island. :clap: :clap: :clap:
butchcannon

Post by butchcannon »

good idea, but not cash, and maybe not alcohol either.

How about some flowers? Don't have to spend much and can get thme delivered easily enough assuming you have their address - better than jsut dropping by with a bottle of booze
v4nisher
Options: Leathers heated
Golf Gti Gear stick (Mk5)
BBS CH
LED bulb interior
Xenons
Heated Leather Seats

Post by v4nisher »

Thank you for all your thoughts...yes I was thinking handing money over, as dimexi says, handing money over, can be insulting to the extent of how much does one or should one hand over, another person might think £50 is acceptable, yet someone else would say £20 is fine.

I think a nice thank you card, and a bottle of champagne/chocolates/flowers what ever the gift is should suffice.

As afterall, this guy was a witness never to hear from me again.......(or so he thinks)......So I think the surprise just out of the blue will be welcoming in itself.

thanks for your thoughts though!!
Griffspeed
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Cruise control
Winter pack
Folding mirrors

Post by Griffspeed »

What a nice story - good to hear there are still some good people around.
I'm sure your witness will appreciate anything you give them as they will be just as pleased that justice was done in the end.
I would explain in your card that without their kind gesture, you would have had to foot the bill and I'll bet that news alone will give them a big smile :) .
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

As above, what a refreshing story, too many people would have just ignored this situation and turned a blind eye, so pleased it is all sorted.

Yes a small gift would go along way in showing appreciation, so yes, champagne, flowers, chocolates or something along those lines. :clap: