Going to buy new tyres... Suggestions?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
lordoftheriffs
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Going to buy new tyres... Suggestions?

Post by lordoftheriffs »

Hi, I am almost done with the factory fitted Continental Sport Contact2 fitted, and I found them awful. They lost their initial grip very soon, and wet traction is as bad as it gets... Looking for a replacement tyre, with good, presice handling and high grip as my priorities. I do spirited driving every weekend on country roads and the car is a 1.4 with around 230 bhp. Original tyre size was 235/40/ZR18 95Y, as fitted to Interlagos wheels. Wanted to fit the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but the size I want is not available in EU, only in US. Any suggestions?
sadtranz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Winter pack, parking sensors, H&R springs, Bluefin remap

Re: Going to buy new tyres... Suggestions?

Post by sadtranz »

See below posted by Yellowplum, Goodyear look good

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm
lordoftheriffs

Post by lordoftheriffs »

I was also thinking Goodyear, looks great all round with emphasis on treadlife... What do you think about extreme performance tyres, or even semi slicks? Toyo r1r and many other tyres do seem to have more dry grip, what about their life?
sadtranz
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, Winter pack, parking sensors, H&R springs, Bluefin remap

Post by sadtranz »

Softer rubber = more grip but shorter life, anyway you would have to drive like a madman to lose grip from a decent make of tyer
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I've got Pirelli Pzero's on at the moment. They seem fine. A little bit more grippy than the conti sport contact 3s I had last time.
lordoftheriffs

Post by lordoftheriffs »

Aside from different brands, should I stay with the 235/40/18, or go with the 225/40/18? As you probably know, Interlagos wheels have rim width of 8 inches,to which according to tyre manufacturers, 225 width tyres suit better, while 235 fits just. With what tyre should I have the better handling?
Also should I choose Pilot Super Sports with 225/40/18 88Y? It doesn't have the XL index, and don't know if it suits the car.
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

Lots of choices, ultimately it boils down to how much you want to pay - Hankook S1 evo2 is quite good around £119, Goodyear Eagle 2 around £135 are also good, Continentals are the softest and will not last as long (5P) £145 - Pirelli is good too but not particularly happy with the fault that I got with one of them.
Red201

Post by Red201 »

Would anyone recommend vredestein ultrac sessantas?
ScottC25
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Flash Red
Options: Lisbon Alloys

Post by ScottC25 »

We have the vreds on the wife's Clio 197. I have thrown it around big time with them on it and been quite impressed. Hard to say whether they'd suit the scirocco though
lordoftheriffs

Post by lordoftheriffs »

I received an e-mail from camskill.uk that Michelin will make Pilot Super Sport sizes 225/40/18 XL and 235/40/18 XL from June/July... Let's hope they do that, my CSC2's have still some tread left
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Got the vreds on my summer wheels. Can't complain about them. At least as good as the stock bridgestones in the dry and considerably better in the wet.
playing in my '86