Question - factory xenon -quick question for you guys i

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Question - factory xenon -quick question for you guys i

Post by Sootchucker »

Hi all quick question for you guys with Xenons. As I understand it, they are not dual optic headlamps (with the inner light being a DRL rather than a main beam). So I guess the main beam is done from the dipped light assembly using some sort of mechanical shutter. I've always liked the dual optic headlamps as I always found having a separate main beam light not only gave a more powerful main beam, but also differentiated it from the dipped beam when say flashing someone.

So the question is, how powerful is the main beam on cars with xenons and does it all work just as well (or better than halogens) please ?
Last edited by Sootchucker on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Question - i-Xeni all, quick question for you guys i

Post by Cuprabob »

As it uses the same Xenon bulb the main beam is the same brighness as the dipped beam. The light pattern is changed by a shutter mechanism.

Mainbeam is spot on and I don't notice it being any worse than my R32 which had inboard halogens in addition to the Xenon main beam.
kenny.c
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Re: Question - factory xenon -quick question for you guys i

Post by kenny.c »

Actual light output is very good.....and as there isnt a height adjustment like all OEM xenons the factory beam height is spot on. I dont regret ticking the xenon box when ordered what so ever....

Ken
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

There is height adjustment, it's just automatic based on the sensors on the front and rear suspension along with a reference datum set in vagcom.

It's a legal requirement for all cars fitted with Xenons to have self levelling and headlight washers.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

They are still a bafflingly expensive option for slightly nicer looking, slightly brighter lights. If they were £300 I think many more people would spec them. As it is they are a rare sight...
Last edited by Mark V on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

I agree that they are expensive but you do get a couple of extra sweeteners;

- static cornering lights within cluster
- LED number plate lights (MY12 onwards)
- dedicated DRLs that can be switched on and off from MFD
Last edited by Cuprabob on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenny.c
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

Cuprabob wrote:There is height adjustment, it's just automatic based on the sensors on the front and rear suspension along with a reference datum set in vagcom.

It's a legal requirement for all cars fitted with Xenons to have self levelling and headlight washers.
Goes without saying......so.....there isnt any height adjustement......

"factory beam height is spot on"
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

kenny.c wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:There is height adjustment, it's just automatic based on the sensors on the front and rear suspension along with a reference datum set in vagcom.

Goes without saying......so.....there isnt any height adjustement......

"factory beam height is spot on"
Yes, sorry I actually misread your original post.

Being automatic though doesn't mean it is spot on. I've had to have my beam adjusted as the beam pattern was too short. I assume the datum was set wrong at the factory.
bobsie
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by bobsie »

Once you become accustomed to driving with Xenon lights at night, it becomes difficult to make do with conventional Halogen lights. The Xenons are very bright and give a generous spread of light over a long distance. Drive a Scirocco fitted with Xenons (at night of course) to help you decide if its a worthwhile option to have fitted to your car. Good Luck!
maddogdave
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Xenon, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth

Post by maddogdave »

It's an expensive option (and even more expensive now than when I got my vehicle), but it you drive a lot at night and on unlit roads then I would say the benefits are worth it. The high / low beam gives a very good cut off on low and a good spread on high beam. The auto height adjustment does constantly twitch to keep the lights level on uneven roads, but there's always optimum coverage (assuming that the factory setting was correct - a few owners on here have needed them reset). The cornering lights (halogen bulb) are positioned correctly and much more useful than the trend that has now been used by other manufacturers in switching individual front fog lights when cornering. I would choose them again rather than go back to halogens, but the cost is likely to be a consideration with the equivalent spec vehicle now costing nearly £5k more now than in 2009.
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

I'd agree that cost aside, they are a very good safety feature and I would certainly like them, it's just the £900 (ouch!). Why is it that VW charge so much, yet when I was in a BMW dealer the other day (which historically is known for charging through the nose for extras), the Xenon option on the 1 series and 3 series was only between £400-500 ? These also come with levellers and headlight wash(just maybe not cornering lights). Why is VW twice as expensive ?

If they were about £400 I'd spec them in heartbeat.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

They are a £970 option on the Roc - as I said - 'Bafflingly expensive' to the point where you wonder if they are trying to discourage people from speccing them.... :shrug:
maddogdave
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Xenon, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth

Post by maddogdave »

There was a stage where they were on the option list and then disappeared, just before I ordered my vehicle (June 2009). I'm not sure whether this was a component supply issue or a technical problem at that time. On one price list the option wasn't available and the updated one the dealer had just received they were once again listed. I ordered and got the option on my car MY2010 delivered late Sept 2009 (59). This may explain the short supply of early vehicles with this option fitted. I've had no problems with mine in over 3 years. The only potential issue is if using the vehicle abroad regarding the beam pattern. It does have a very distinct cut off without much of a raised beam to the left as with halogens, so it may not be an issue, but there has been some previous discussions as to whether the lamps have a lever to adjust a cut off shutter for 'continental' driving or whether it's a setting in the diagnostics to lower the overall beam electronically (and then have to reset when back in the UK). I never discovered the answer but my car hasn't left the UK so I didn't investigate further.
john250666
In: Salsa Red

Post by john250666 »

Hi all could someone explain what static cornering lights are?! i have never heard of these before!
cheers JOHN
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

These are lights (either the fog lights or dedicated bulbs in main headlight unit) that illuminate when you make a turn. They can be activated by the indicator or steering geometry. On the Roc the Xenon units have them integrated but halogen equipped cars can have the fog lights activated by VCDS to act as static cornering lights. They illuminate as desribed and then fade off again once turn is completed. They draw additionla attention to the turning vehicle from a pedestrian point of view. Critics suggest they are a waste of time! Personally I have them activated at the moment....
Cuprabob

Post by Cuprabob »

I also find the static cornering lights very useful. They only work at low speeds exactly as Mark described
john250666
In: Salsa Red

Post by john250666 »

Thanks for the repay guys, Think i will look into having mine activated
cheers JOHN