Window seals

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
Henry6
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: I added panoramic sunroof, cruise control
then VW added SatNav and leather !

Window seals

Post by Henry6 »

Hi, any advice for maintenance of the window seals on my Scirocco? Once or twice after leaving the car parked up for a couple of days I have noticed on unlocking, the windows have semi stuck themselves to the door seals. Is there a product to keep the seals non-stick? My main worry is repeated occurence will result in damagie to the window mechanism. I was offered a VW product for the Eos at £40 plus! but told it was really to stop the roof seals leaking. I have also read about applying a smear of vaseline or similar, again for the Eos. Any thoughts out there?
RisingRoc
In: Rising Blue
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Re: Window seals

Post by RisingRoc »

If you do a search you'll find a couple of threads on 'frozen windows'. There's also a thread on general winter prep with lots of good links. I use Gummipfledge which has done the job for me so far. Comes in a wee bottle with built in applicator so dead quick and easy to apply.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

:welcome:

Hello Henry,

Welcome along.

A bit of light reading as the window seals are not the only problem when cold. ;) . Scirocco Winter Prep.

If the windows were sufficiently stuck enough, the door controller will have also registered fault codes associated with cold weather window dropping problem:
1 Fault Found:
00932 - Electric Window Motor; Drivers Side (V147)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent
1 Fault Found:
00933 - Electric Window Motor; Passenger Side (V148)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - Intermittent
The Scirocco can run with these faults but a windows reset should be done as contained in the above Winter Prep link to make sure the windows will close up and not drop later.

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
bobsie
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box

Post by bobsie »

Gummipfledge works well on rubber seals. Inexpensive, and simple to use. Give it a try.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Just found out my 12 month old car needs a replacement door controller as the window is not closing the gap in to to the seal enough - the effect being a constant wind rustle next to the right ear....
trix935
Options: Cruise control

Post by trix935 »

Mark V wrote:Just found out my 12 month old car needs a replacement door controller as the window is not closing the gap in to to the seal enough - the effect being a constant wind rustle next to the right ear....
Glad you figured out the problem!

Have you tried the window reset in the link in RW1's post above?
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Trix, it was discovered by Harlow VWduring the cars first service last Friday and they have ordered the new part. I thought it was just a quick adjustment needed but no....

I have nothing but praise for this particular dealership :-)
Henry6
Options: I added panoramic sunroof, cruise control
then VW added SatNav and leather !

Post by Henry6 »

Gummipfledge in the post to me now, hopefully in time for next weeks forecasted freeze.
Thanks for the links - some useful stuff.