Reverse light failure

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Reverse light failure

Post by mordred1973 »

So the bulb failure warning went and told me left reverse bulb had failed, having taken light cluster out, changed bulb (which looked ok) put it all back, you guessed it, it still doesn't work and the warning is correctly still showing.

The right hand reverse light is working fine.

Anyone got an ideas? the bulb holder looks ok, it's the one bulb of the lot that just pushes in.....

Cheers and Happy New Year guys and gals
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Reverse light failure

Post by RW1 »

First check on the Rear Lamp Unit flat 7 way connector that the Black with Blue stripe wire has 12 volts on the car's connection when the car is in reverse.

- If yes, the fault is in the Rear Lamp Unit metal track to the lamp holder from the Rear Lamp Unit connection. Line out with a DVM to narrow where in the unit it is failing to work releative to the car connection point.

- If not, most likely a fault within the Central Electrics 09 Controller just below the cubby holder draw by the headlight switch, inside the dash. The Black/Blue wire is straight from the rear connection to the Controller 09 connection. The split for left/right reversing lights is inside the CE-09 controller so the reverse switch and its single wire feed input to the Controller 09 are OK.

Assume the other lights work like sidelights in the Rear Lamp Unit, in which case the earth Brown wire is OK. The earth "star " connection onto the metal bodywork is behind the small access panel removed to get at the securing wingnut for the Rear Lamp Unit. The Star has two earth Brown wires attached to it.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Re: Reverse light failure

Post by mordred1973 »

Thanks Chris, I'll have another play next weekend, currently not been over excited being only one reverse light