Getting scratches out?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jonny96
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Premium mats, Premium sills

Getting scratches out?

Post by Jonny96 »

Had mine around 3 months now and been washing it quite a lot! Recently as the suns been out a bit more, i've noticed little scratches all over the paint. Not noticable unless the light catches them, but they're all over the car! Like some grit or dirt has got in my cloth, and i've just done it to the whole car!! :grumpy:

Would t-cut get it out??

I've got some of this QUIXX stuff, but thats really for isolated areas. Not the whole car!

Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks !
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Re: Getting scratches out?

Post by jonallen628 »

Are you using a sponge to wash the car as this might be culprit?
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Check out www.detailingworld.co.uk

Sounds like you might need a professional detail on the paintwork to take it back to showroom condition, and then change your car washing technique and products.
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
Jonny96

Post by Jonny96 »

I've been using a car washing kit with chamois and leather and all that good stuff!

Just think some dirt must have got in it!

I'm not sure i no what you mean when you say ''professional detail'' on it?
iAmbu

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

A professional detail can mean lots of things, but in respect to paintwork, it can involve using a PC (Porter Cable) to polish the paint to remove the surface scratches you are describing. Very common after using any automatic car washes, lots of supermarket car park based hand car washes, or a sponge to wash your car with (as jonallen628 says).

www.detailingworld.co.uk will help you out massively to get to grips with detailing, and all things related to car care (interior and exterior).

Check this thread out for starters..... http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=4637

Does your car washing kit contain a sponge, or a lambswool / sheepswool wash mitt? The above article describes why I ask...

Hope that helps. :)
iAmbu
Jonny96

Post by Jonny96 »

Thanks for the thread! 2 bucket method sounds great! Also i don't really pre rinse so that may be where i'm going wrong!!

You know any companys that could restore it and what price im looking at roughly??
iAmbu

Post by iAmbu »

As I've never had a car detailed I can't help you there I'm afraid, but have a search of the DW forums and I'm sure you'll come across a company someone can recommend in your area. Or register on the site and ask :yes:
iAmbu
Jonny96

Post by Jonny96 »

Thanks iambu! I'll check it out!
chr15
In: Rising Blue

Post by chr15 »

Where abouts are you based?

Paint Correction to remove swirls you are probably looking at about £350 to remove them and add a wax on top.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=40246

Have a look on the above thread for a list of the pros, someone will cover your area. Have a look on the websites and see what you think.

Chris
Dan Fitz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio soundpack, Winter pack, DAB & carpets plus have the First aid kit and Triangle on order.

Post by Dan Fitz »

You might need to wash the car with the two bucket method, then dry, then polish with something like Autoglym's Super Resin Polish and see how it looks. I would try avoid T-cut at the moment, as it can be very course, there are lots of finer ones out there that will not do as much damage to the paint.

You might not need to get it detailed professionally but phone around there are a few places like chip busters and that, they will be able to have a look and are normally very easy to talk to and are happy to give advise. If not go to the dealer, they normally have a few guys there that all they do is sort cars. If not they have local contacts that will be able to look for you.
iAmbu

Post by iAmbu »

Thanks chr15, that page was what I was hunting for to show Jonny96 :nod:
iAmbu
chr15

Post by chr15 »

Dan Fitz wrote:You might need to wash the car with the two bucket method, then dry, then polish with something like Autoglym's Super Resin Polish and see how it looks. I would try avoid T-cut at the moment, as it can be very course, there are lots of finer ones out there that will not do as much damage to the paint.

You might not need to get it detailed professionally but phone around there are a few places like chip busters and that, they will be able to have a look and are normally very easy to talk to and are happy to give advise. If not go to the dealer, they normally have a few guys there that all they do is sort cars. If not they have local contacts that will be able to look for you.
Autoglym SRP won't remove the marks but will fill them slightly so they may not be as noticeable. It is also not a permanent fix. You won't 'fix' it by hand either, a rotary polisher or similar is needed.
chr15

Post by chr15 »

iambu wrote:Thanks chr15, that page was what I was hunting for to show Jonny96 :nod:
You a detailing addict aswell then? :D
Jonny96

Post by Jonny96 »

I'm in leeds so i'm sure there are a few places round here that could help me!

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it!

I'll let you know how i get on!
Dan Fitz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio soundpack, Winter pack, DAB & carpets plus have the First aid kit and Triangle on order.

Post by Dan Fitz »

Cheers Chr15 I did not know that about Autoglym SPR
iAmbu

Post by iAmbu »

chr15 wrote:
iambu wrote:Thanks chr15, that page was what I was hunting for to show Jonny96 :nod:
You a detailing addict aswell then? :D
Not currently as I'm still on my first car, but like to keep up to date with things on DW, for when I get a Scirocco in a year's time (that's the plan!)
iAmbu
JaseW
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

You could try some of Meguairs new swirl x product before going the full detailing route. Their Scratch x product works well on scratches.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Stor ... ductId=851
I luv Roc!