TT Tdi Vs Scirocco Tdi

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Paralla
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

TT Tdi Vs Scirocco Tdi

Post by Paralla »

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=26616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: TT Tdi Vs Scirocco Tdi

Post by Cuprabob »

Nothing really to discuss as it was a really dull article.

Both good cars, one has a nicer interior and Haldex, which would be useful in damp conditions, but is more expensive.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Can't get a pretty Cocker Spaniel in the back of a TT and they are as common as muck. :nod:
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I thought the facts stated in the article were pretty accurate - TT is faster 0-62 due to it's quattro, looks great in any colour (for me some of the Scirocco colours don't do it any favours), looks sportier (lower inside driving position and looks lower outside) and most of the extra purchase cost is justified in the spec (alcantara vs standard cloth, 4wd vs 2wd, 3 years breakdown, slightly better quality interior plastics etc).

For me the Scirocco is not a TT contender, more of a better looking alternative to a 3 door Golf. If I had absolutely no use for the rear seats of my car then i'd probably get a TT, but they're of no use to passengers over the age of 7.

VW have been pricing themselves more and more into Audi's territory, and maybe that will backfire on them when people maybe decide to spend just a little more to go for the Audi instead. Prices between the 2 marques seem to have gone up in parallel across all equivalent models, so the % difference in list price between the 2 has shortened a lot. The biggest price jump was when the MK5 Golf was superceded by the MK6 - the cost of a Golf GTI/GTD rose 25% (£20k GTI MK5/£25k GTI MK6for almost no gain in product quality or equipment and the rest of the VW range hunkered up their prices to match scale.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

maisbitt wrote:I thought the facts stated in the article were pretty accurate - TT is faster 0-62 due to it's quattro, looks great in any colour (for me some of the Scirocco colours don't do it any favours), looks sportier (lower inside driving position and looks lower outside) and most of the extra purchase cost is justified in the spec (alcantara vs standard cloth, 4wd vs 2wd, 3 years breakdown, slightly better quality interior plastics etc).

For me the Scirocco is not a TT contender, more of a better looking alternative to a 3 door Golf. If I had absolutely no use for the rear seats of my car then i'd probably get a TT, but they're of no use to passengers over the age of 7.

VW have been pricing themselves more and more into Audi's territory, and maybe that will backfire on them when people maybe decide to spend just a little more to go for the Audi instead. Prices between the 2 marques seem to have gone up in parallel across all equivalent models, so the % difference in list price between the 2 has shortened a lot. The biggest price jump was when the MK5 Golf was superceded by the MK6 - the cost of a Golf GTI/GTD rose 25% (£20k GTI MK5/£25k GTI MK6for almost no gain in product quality or equipment and the rest of the VW range hunkered up their prices to match scale.
A very good summary.

For me VW are going to have to rethink some of their pricing based on cars like the BMW135i coming along which has a base price of under £30k, good economy and a 320bhp 6 cylinder under the bonnet. Not the prettiest car but it should be along in a coupe variant soon.
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Something else you can't put a monetary figure on - VW customer service vs Audi customer service. If you've ever had a grievance with your dealer or a repair you'll know just how utterly useless VW customer services are in resolving the issue or mediating.

In the case of the TT, you'll also recoup some of your extra spend with slightly higher residual values (55% over 3 years for Scirocco/60% for the TT according to What Car? last time I looked) - Spend £25k on a 170 TDI Roc = £13750 retained vs £28k TT TDI = £16800 retained. So, you should get all of your extra £3k outlay back if you purchase outright or monthly rental should be nigh on the same.

So if you're prepared to tie up that "extra" £3k for 3 years, you can have a sportier, faster accelerating car (at the expense of rear seat practicality) with 4WD (and almost no fuel penalty for it) for the same money (if you consider the cars "cost" as the depreciation only).
Paralla
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

According to Parkers the TT Tdi is a higher insurance rating that the equivalent Scirocco which means higher insurance premiums. This makes a big difference to me having to park on the mean streets of Central London.

VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI (170bhp) GT 3d DSG Insurance Group 24
Audi TT 2.0 TDI Quattro S Line (2012) 2d S Tronic Insurance Group 32
phil4
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Lots: Leather, Electric driver's seat, 19" rims, sunroof, RNS510, Dynaudio, colour MFD, electric folding wing mirrors, cruise control, parking sensors.

Post by phil4 »

Don't forget VW and Audi are part of the same company, VAG (Seat, Skoda, VW, Audi, Porshce, Bentley, Lamborghini etc).

So just as VW doesn't canabalise it's own lineup, by offering a better spec'd, better capable car at lower price than others in it's own range, so to a degree VAG won't allow VW to do the same to Audi.

As an example, where the VW range stop with the R, Audi match with the S, and counter with the RS.

VAG will allocate each manufacturer their own little market segments to target, and VW won't be allowed to have a car that's better in every respect than a TT for example, because VW is lower down the pecking order than Audi.

Instead, you as a customer will be given the choice, if you want better trim, slightly sportier, you can, but you buy the Audi and pay the extra money. If Audi isn't premium enough and you've got more money to spend.... Porsche/Lambo will take your money if you want sporty, Bentley if you want luxury).

And if you look a the full line-up, from Seat/Skoda up, there's something for everyone, each tier up being slightly higher priced, but better spec'd/faster for it.

Either way, whether you buy the VW or the Audi, VAG win, they get your money.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

@Phil4: You have the choice, but with VW priced so close to Audi now, that choice to buy a VW might not be quite so clear. The gap between the 2 is very small now, it has shrunk a lot over the last 5 years.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i had this dilemma when buying my roc of the unleaded variety, summed up well that the roc was an alternative to a 3 door golf as at the time the TT was rejected on practicality grounds but still a cracking car
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

At my end of the range the Roc really is a 3-door Golf alternative. I am in fact replacing a Golf VI Match and its virtualy the same price at just over £18k after discounts. I did not even think about a TT but higher up the Roc range I would think some careful thought would be needed.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

If the great floods don't become a regular occurrence to scare me into buying a Q5/Tiguan, I think i'll be buying a TT next time around. Presumed replacement in 2014 would be great timing - unless the new one is an absolute dog.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

I looked at the TT when I got my Roc.
They are not really comparable, the Roc is a practical, good looking hatch
The TT is a impratical good looking coupe, its got a tiny boot, the rear seats are useless and its a lot more cramped inside.

Besides the prices are not that comparable base price for the TT TDI is £5k more, thats 20%! Add in bluetooth, adaptive dampers and a few more odds and ends you now get standard on the Roc and its £8k more. Thats quite a big difference.

I like the TT, and I'm sure its a great steer and all that but its not really a like for like comparison.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

[quote="goatboy"]

Besides the prices are not that comparable base price for the TT TDI is £5k more, thats 20%! Add in bluetooth, adaptive dampers and a few more odds and ends you now get standard on the Roc and its £8k more. Thats quite a big difference.[quote].

Not quite sure where you get 20% from unless you're comparing the TT TDI sport (which is 170PS) to the 140PS non GT Roc.

TT TDI Sport = £28585
170 GT Roc = £25450
140 BMT Roc = £22225

It's not really fair to price up equipment differences on the Roc vs TT and then not acknowledge the provision of 4WD on the TT (although it cannot be specced on the Roc, how much would VW charge you for it if you could?), full European Audi assist breakdown cover for the Audi - got to be worth a minimum of £150 for 2 years more than VW give, Leather/Alcantara seats, better quality plastic on the interior. I think there's your £3k between the TT and 170GT Roc right there. Magnetic ride is a £980 option, and an upgrade to the audi equivalent of the RCD510 is £270.

In terms of practicality you're right though - that is kids room at the back only.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Whats the equivelant Roc to the Audi TT 1.8FSI (non Quattro) - which is the base model TT at £24,355 OTR. Presumably the 160 TSI (at £21,450)? Still a three grand difference but a nearer comparison as the 4WD factor is removed....
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

maisbitt wrote: Not quite sure where you get 20% from unless you're comparing the TT TDI sport (which is 170PS) to the 140PS non GT Roc.

TT TDI Sport = £28585
170 GT Roc = £25450
140 BMT Roc = £22225
Sorry, my bad, I looked at the Audi website and saw £30k+ (hence 20% more) what I didn't notice was that was the price of the s-tronic car. Doh :shrug: