2.0 tsi clutch squeal and cold start problems

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
iamcabaged
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

2.0 tsi clutch squeal and cold start problems

Post by iamcabaged »

Hi,
I've had a Scirocco GT 2.0 tsi for 6 months now but I'm struggling to enjoy the car due to some annoying problems
I have a 2 year AA warranty but I need to know if I'm covered for these problems
so I was wondering if someone can help me.

The first problem is an annoying squeal when pulling away from a standing start.
I found a video on youtube of someone else with the same problem.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can hear the sound at 6 seconds in.
It sounds like its coming from the clutch release bearing but its very hard to work out where its coming from.

The second problem is a stutter or misfire from a cold start.
It seems to idle ok, but as soon as I start driving its very hard to stop it jerking along.
This normally happens under 2500rpm and only goes away when fully warm.
I guessing it could be a number of things, injectors, idle control value, spark plugs, coil pack, air flow meter etc.

Can I take it into the vw dealership even though I have no manufacturer warranty?
Are the problems due to wear and tear or failed components?
any suggestions for the problems?

Thanks in advance
Pete
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: 2.0 tsi clutch squeal and cold start problems

Post by RW1 »

Dealers for you.

With time the Clutch develops free play due to wear between the Clutch Membrane Spring ring and Clutch Housing. As a consequence, the Clutch Pressure Plate vibrates, ie. the noise in the video. Can only get worse with time.

Dealer will replace the Clutch Pressure Plate and Clutch Friction Plate.

Under VW Warranty it is claimable. Ref.: TPI 2024969/2 - 12 Jan. 2012.

Stutter needs looking at by the car. Could be plugs or a poor injector.

Dealer will always look at it. If its out of VW Warranty, then you pay in accordance with what you AA cover does not give you. What is covered is in your AA policy between you and the AA. :shrug:

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Although many 3rd party warranties don't cover you for main dealer labour rates (unless you pay an extra premium for that). If not then you will have to pay the difference.
iamcabaged

Post by iamcabaged »

thanks
I will try and claim on my AA warranty for the clutch problem as i'm pretty sure I know whats wrong now.
I'm still concerned about the cold start problem though. Would a diagnostics show up this type of problem?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Depends on the problem, which is why I wrote "by the car". You need someone local to use VCDS and see what is stored in the memory.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iamcabaged

Post by iamcabaged »

Hi,
I Took the car to the garage and they can hear the gearbox noise.
They spoke to the AA Warranty company who said they would have to take the gearbox apart to diagnose the problem.
They also said if the problem is due to to wear and tear, the problem would not be covered and I would be left with a bill of £300 for labour.

so...I know this problem is quite common but I have two answers for what the problem could be.
1. Throw out bearing not being lubricated properly
2. Free play due to wear between the Clutch Membrane Spring ring and Clutch Housing.

I guess that 1 would be covered but 2 wouldn't.
Is there anyone out there who has had the same problem and had it fixed?

The worst case scenario would be a £300 bill and the problem still there. (I would probably get the clutch changed anyway so around £500)
The best case scenario would be a £50 bill for the excess and the problem fixed.

Any help would be appreciated :)
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

2. Wouldn't class it as "normal " wear & tear otherwise why would VW have it under 3 year new sale warranty. The clutch friction plate hasn't worn out. Its a fault in the design with a part of the clutch which shouldn't wear.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iamcabaged

Post by iamcabaged »

I see what you mean.
I will drop in the VW dealer today to see what they think. Hopefully they will be friendly.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Ask them to have a look at TPI 2025969/2, 12.01.12. There's a sound file attached exactly the same as described above they can listen to.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iamcabaged

Post by iamcabaged »

Update.

Unfortunately its bad news.
The mechanic at the VW garage took it for a test drive and said it was the clutch plate and is a wear and tear problem.

I tried giving them the TPI number but they didn't recognise it.

looks like i will have to live with it or change it myself :(
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

iamcabaged wrote:I tried giving them the TPI number but they didn't recognise it.
Ha! Useless dealership. Or they can't be arse going the computer.

Just rechecked in case I made a typo :shake:

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iamcabaged

Post by iamcabaged »

nope I'm sure you are correct, I found it mentioned on some German sites.

They only found 3 in the system for my model.
1. Boot strut problem
2. Dsg gearbox problem
3. Something else I cant remember
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Those you have listed are "Workshop Recalls", not standard maintenance/rectification notifications. TPI = Technical Product Information otherwise known as Technical Service Bulletins sometimes.

TPI's include recalls but also solutions to general run of the mill problems. They are all notified by the same system to the dealers. The routine ones are actioned upon when a customer brings in a vehicle with a problem. Rather than something has to be put right ie. "Recall Campaign" or needs to be done at the next visit of the vehicle to the dealership workshop which is classed as "Workshop Campaign".

2025969/2 is not a Recall or Workshop classed TPI but the third option, ie. you have gone in with the Scirocco with a specific problem. The solution when confirmed is a new clutch plate and pressure plate 06J 141 015KX kit (Check this part number with your Parts Dept to be sure). The noise is not caused by a worn friction plate. Warranty instructions are specified for the job with this TPI assuming your Sciorcco has under 3 years or extended VW warranty.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Coroona
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors and retro bluetooth

2.0 Tsi clutch problem

Post by Coroona »

Hi guys, i've been a lurker for quite a while before I bought my Scirocco. Picked it up last week and im loving it so far apart from one problem....

From a cold start when I pull away in first gear at the biting point of the clutch there's a loud squeal, its noticiable from within the cabin. Once the car warms up it becomes a lot quieter. It also happens when reversing up an incline, it's a lot louder when doing this and it doesnt matter if the car has warmed up. It sounds like the same problem someone else had here.

Is this a common problem and do you think it will be covered by the dealer/warranty? My rocco is an 09 2.0 TSI, 37k on the clock. I bought it from a dealer (not volkswagen) and it has a 6 month autoguard warranty. The warranty paperwork says clutch components and wear & tear are not covered apart from mechanical failure.

Just after a bit of advice, i'd rather not shell out for a new clutch on a car I bought a week ago!!

Cheers

(Accidentally posted this under the thread I quoted :rolleyes: )
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Hello,

Above should answer what it is. It is a fault but with nearly 4 years & 37k you will have a hard time with the dealers that it is not just wear & tear. You can only approach them. The symptoms are not the clutch plate friction surface wearing. That maybe is the point to get across to the Dealer's Service desk/workshop and ask them to look at TPI 2025969/2 as described above.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Coroona

Post by Coroona »

Thanks! I thought that might be case.... Just a shame I didnt notice the noise when I took it out to test!!

If it's not causing any serious issues with the clutch then I guess i'll live with the noise for a while!
ollietheking
Options: Leather with 12 way adjustment, PDC, Cruise Control, Bluetooth

Post by ollietheking »

Hello.
I have the same squealing noise from mine as well, mainly when reversing. Mines just over 3 years old with 42k on the clock so there shouldn't be any clutch issues.
Although its out of its original 3 year warranty, its was bought last Oct from a VW dealers and is covered under their 12 month used car warranty.
Its booked to go in next week and I will let you know how I get on with them.
Coroona

Post by Coroona »

Thanks for the update ollie. My problem also mainly happens when reversing, be interested to hear how you get on!
ollietheking

Post by ollietheking »

Hey, I dropped the car off at the dealers this morning and demonstrated the squeal to one of their technicians.

Had to reverse up a steep hill though to make it happen, and stressed to him that it happens more frequently when its colder outside. But he agree'd it isn't right, so they are going to drop the gearbox out to investigate and sort it out.

I will keep you posted, should have it back end of this week (got a "lovely" little 1.2l Polo S in replacement!)

Ollie
ollietheking

Post by ollietheking »

Just a quick update on this...
I have found out that VW in Blackburn sold me the car with a Lookers Warranty and not the 'Das WeltAuto' VW warranty. And they have asked for my authorisation for 3 hours labour if the issue isn't covered under their warranty to investigate. Also they have explained that the Lookers Warranty doesn't cover clutches.

I have complained to VW and Lookers because I thought I bought the car under 'Das WeltAuto'...

I'll keep you posted!