Tyre Choice & uneven wear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
gogzy01
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding mirrors, reverse sensors, leather, sat nav

Tyre Choice & uneven wear

Post by gogzy01 »

Hi

I'm needing to replace the two front tyres and was wondering if anybody had changed to something other than the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos 235/40/18 and if so what did you go for and would you recommend?

My two fronts have worn down in the middle of the tyre but still a reasonable about of tread left on the outer edges even though the tyres are filled to the recommended pressures. Anybody else notice this with theirs?

Cheers
Last edited by gogzy01 on Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Re: Tyre Choice

Post by Rob »

Yes me! I emailed Pirelli who have told me when I change them get the company I buy them from to send them back to Pirelli. Mine have lasted coming upto 16k miles, but on my old car I had Bridgestone Potenzas and they lasted 18k+.
voyager
Options: cruise control

Post by voyager »

I've got Bridgestone Potenzas on mine and at 20,000mls they're still OK but the fronts will need replacing before the MoT in Oct. Tread-wear as you describe is usually caused either by over-inflation or having wide tyres on inappropriately narrow rims. Also, what do you use to check your pressures- petrol station gauges are notoriously inaccurate which is why I always use one of those pen-sized gauges from Halfords or similar; I have frequently found that petrol station gauges can be 5psi out.
Massipet
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Leather

Post by Massipet »

Haven't tried them yet but goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 seem to get great reviews. Will probably look at these next.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... tric-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Massipet wrote:Haven't tried them yet but goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 seem to get great reviews. Will probably look at these next.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... tric-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just replaced my bridgestones with the Goodyears based on reviews. Have to say so far I have been very impressed. Ther seem very quiet and have superb grip in both wet and dry. My bridgestones lasted about 11k. Had pirellis on my first roc, they were about on par with bridgestones.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
Sam63
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Post by Sam63 »

jonallen628 wrote:
Massipet wrote:Haven't tried them yet but goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 seem to get great reviews. Will probably look at these next.

Just replaced my bridgestones with the Goodyears based on reviews. Have to say so far I have been very impressed. Ther seem very quiet and have superb grip in both wet and dry. My bridgestones lasted about 11k. Had pirellis on my first roc, they were about on par with bridgestones.
Can't recommend the Goodyears highly enough, an excellent tyre can't wait to get rid of my remaining two crappy Dunlops.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

I've just put two of these on the front. Can't recommend them highly enough for driving in a drought. Great grip in the wet. Paid £170 each fitted at Kwik Fit on a recent promotion.
gogzy01
Options: Folding mirrors, reverse sensors, leather, sat nav

Post by gogzy01 »

Thanks guys. I went for the Goodyear Eagle F1's and i cant fault them. Great grip and low road noise.

The only thing is, the guys that fitted them said they should run at 36psi on the front but i think thats excessive. Any thoughts???
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

gogzy01 wrote:

Thanks guys. I went for the Goodyear Eagle F1's and i cant fault them. Great grip and low road noise.

The only thing is, the guys that fitted them said they should run at 36psi on the front but i think thats excessive. Any thoughts???
Try e-mailing the Goodyear tech dept. I've done this when changing brands for the last few I've used and they've always been more than helpful. Current tyre manufacturer recommended 34 front 38 rear and it does seem a good set up.
playing in my '86
Bryzo
Options: Bluetooth handsfree, Parking sensors, Folding wing mirrors,
Winter pack, Luxury floor mats, Mud flaps, Autoglym superguard, scuffplates.

Re: Tyre Choice & uneven wear

Post by Bryzo »

Hi have seen a couply off yous have been experienceing the same problem as myself, Scirocco gt is 8 months old, has only done 5,600 miles tyres are wearing down in the midle outside and inside are grand. Tyre pressure monitor has never came on so havent done anything with the presure since i picked the car up from the dealer, so was wondering were i would stand in gettin new ones, would pirellis problem are vw's because i am not wanting to fork out over £300 already for new front tyres.

Thanks Brian
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Tyre Choice & uneven wear

Post by Cuprabob »

Bryzo wrote:Hi have seen a couply off yous have been experienceing the same problem as myself, Scirocco gt is 8 months old, has only done 5,600 miles tyres are wearing down in the midle outside and inside are grand. Tyre pressure monitor has never came on so havent done anything with the presure since i picked the car up from the dealer, so was wondering were i would stand in gettin new ones, would pirellis problem are vw's because i am not wanting to fork out over £300 already for new front tyres.

Thanks Brian
The tyre pressure monitor only picks up drop in pressure and is not an indication of the correct pressure. You could blow up each tyre to 50psi, reset the monitor and all will be well.

First thing I do when I pick up a new car is check the pressures with a good gauge. Not once have the pressures been close to the recommended pressures when I checked them after picking it up.

You should check your pressures regularly as a matter of course. All VW and Pirelli will say is the tyre is wearing in the middle due to over inflation.