Brakes

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
lloydie63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Brakes

Post by lloydie63 »

Hi all,
Just bought my Scirocco 59 plate 2.0 tsi auto, from an approved dealer, My concern is when i brake it sounds like the rear brakes are grinding is this normal? the car had a service the day before it was handed back to the dealer and has had it's checks before i was allowed to drive it away the car has covered 9400 miles.

If there was a problem with the brakes would this not show on the display as a fault/check?

Thanks in advance
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Re: Brakes

Post by Ian_Mac »

Could be due to the car being parked up for a while, give it a good drive with some heavy braking (making sure there's no-one close behind).
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

Post by carlpea »

Ian_Mac wrote:Could be due to the car being parked up for a while, give it a good drive with some heavy braking (making sure there's no-one close behind).
I wouldn't worry too much about that with the standard brakes

:p
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

carlpea wrote:
Ian_Mac wrote:Could be due to the car being parked up for a while, give it a good drive with some heavy braking (making sure there's no-one close behind).

:? Standard brakes are very good, tad confused with that statement, but grinding noise not normal. Build up of rust on the discs perhaps, but this should clean up very quickly.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

skippy wrote: :? Standard brakes are very good, tad confused with that statement
not compared to the opposition on a car with sporting pretentious, real lack of progressive feel, callipers are where the issue is as two pot and heavy, the R set up is far more reassuring
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
lloydie63
In: Deep Black

Post by lloydie63 »

carlpea wrote:

I cannot say for fear of ridicule what my last vehicle was, but it was a 4x4, weighed 2 tons and had rear drum brakes, when I went for a test drive in the Sirocco and hit the brakes, I thought I was going to put me and the Mrs through the windscreen, I hit the brakes like I would in my old truck and that was to get it to slow down never mind about stopping. Scirocco brakes to me anyway are brilliant.
polo classic
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: H&R Ultra-lows and BBS RS-GT 9,5 20

Post by polo classic »

The grinding noise usually go away with one hard brake from say 40-45.

I belive it is from brake pad residue on the discs. Happens to mine when I haven't driven/braked hard for a while. Same with my old Golf 2,0 FSI
jimma1983
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
Options: DAB tuner, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Smoking Pack

Post by jimma1983 »

polo classic wrote:The grinding noise usually go away with one hard brake from say 40-45.

I belive it is from brake pad residue on the discs. Happens to mine when I haven't driven/braked hard for a while. Same with my old Golf 2,0 FSI
Same for me too if i havent driven the car for a while, a hard break usually clears the problem.
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

skippy wrote:
carlpea wrote:

:? Standard brakes are very good, tad confused with that statement, but grinding noise not normal. Build up of rust on the discs perhaps, but this should clean up very quickly.

I used to have a Clio 200 so that could explain it...
buster
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Indium Grey
Options: chrome exhaust tips, chrome sill protecters, over carpets.

Post by buster »

lloydie63 wrote:
carlpea wrote:

I cannot say for fear of ridicule what my last vehicle was, but it was a 4x4, weighed 2 tons and had rear drum brakes, when I went for a test drive in the Sirocco and hit the brakes, I thought I was going to put me and the Mrs through the windscreen, I hit the brakes like I would in my old truck and that was to get it to slow down never mind about stopping. Scirocco brakes to me anyway are brilliant.

I would go along with that, though we came from a volvo s40 i still remember the look terror on the salesmans face :eek: when i touched the brake peddle just as we left the dealership for the test drive. i and the wife shot foward and the chap who had not put his seat belt on nearly came though the center of the front seats .needless to say his directions on our test run kept it quite short . :clap:
but i would certainly not let any brake noise go unchecked for long.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

For me I think the brakes are the worst dynamic aspect of the rocco package - the stock ride height being the worst looks issue.

The brakes are fine in normal driving but anything else and they become a bit iffy. Had to do an emergency stop from speed once and I was not overly impressed at all.

Some sort of brake upgrade is definitely on the to do list.
playing in my '86