Mirror Selector - Tiny niggle

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
MartyRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Factory Debadge

Mirror Selector - Tiny niggle

Post by MartyRocco »

Is it me - or is it the wrong way round? To my mind, turning anti-clockwise from 0 should select the left mirror, not the right. I'm sure it was that way around on my Audi.

Not a real problem though!
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Re: Mirror Selector - Tiny niggle

Post by sciroccorocket »

anti clockwise is the left mirror on mine
jonosussex
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

My problem is that when I try to heat the bloody things, I turn the thing wrong way - and they fold!
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

I think the worst thing is when you come to adjust them for the first time. It's like patting your head and rubbing your belly!
jimma1983
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
Options: DAB tuner, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Smoking Pack

Post by jimma1983 »

Anti clockwise is left on mine too. The thing that really bugs me about the mirrors is why they decided to put the heating option on that switch and not tie it in with the rear windscreen. I've forgotten to switch them off many times!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

jimma1983 wrote:I've forgotten to switch them off many times!
Its programmed by the factory in the diagnostics to switch off mirror heating after approximately 10 mins. If you want it to continue another 10 mins, then it has to be de-selected and re-selected. I've re-programmed mine to 5 minutes as most times that seems all that is needed.

(Same applies with the HRW switch, that can be changed from 10 mins - again I've gone for 5 mins.)

The switch is wrongly positioned for its design. It shouldn't face across the cabin so you can't see all its positions. They've used similar switch on other VW's where the switch faces you on a panel inset into the door card, so you can see all the positions. :shake:

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
MartyRocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Factory Debadge

Post by MartyRocco »

Just checked again
Heat is at 10 o'clock
R is at 2 o'clock
0 is at 3 o'clock
L is at 4 o'clock
montstable
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Leather, 19in alloys, DSG, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors and Sunroof

Post by montstable »

Yeah, anticlockwise is for the right mirror on mine. The whole switch is very un-ergonomic.
Gilez
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

For me, to turn the knob to fold the mirrors is a nuisance. I had an Astra before and that was a button in the middle of the mirror control, so no mistakenly folding the mirrors.
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Paralla
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

I thought this was just me being daft. The mirror switch is a disaster. Heating, folding, mirror adjustment, left mirror dip on reverse all on one control with not nearly enough markings.
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

agreed...the mirror controls are poor at best.....

SEAT have it right, heating with rear window, fold option on switch or on locking from remote, with auto unfold on restarting the car.
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote:
jimma1983 wrote:I've forgotten to switch them off many times!
Its programmed by the factory in the diagnostics to switch off mirror heating after approximately 10 mins. If you want it to continue another 10 mins, then it has to be de-selected and re-selected. I've re-programmed mine to 5 minutes as most times that seems all that is needed.

(Same applies with the HRW switch, that can be changed from 10 mins - again I've gone for 5 mins.)

The switch is wrongly positioned for its design. It shouldn't face across the cabin so you can't see all its positions. They've used similar switch on other VW's where the switch faces you on a panel inset into the door card, so you can see all the positions. :shake:

C.
But if they are turned to the heating position and left there will they come on for 10 minutes every tine you start the car ?
Paralla
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

In my old E46 BMW 3 series Coupe the heated mirrors were on all the time, there was no control for them at all. It always seemed slightly wastefull to me I thought it would be better if they came on below a certain ambient temperature.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

ZephyR wrote:But if they are turned to the heating position and left there will they come on for 10 minutes every tine you start the car ?
I haven't tried but if its like the other control of the mirror functions the Door Contoller operates, its "on trigger". ie. the switch has to move to that position. Folding Mirrors only moves if the switch moves to/from the selection while the Door Controller is on, ie.ignition on. Move it to/from "folded" while the ignition is off and it remains blind to the new switch position when the ignition is turned back on (unless the doors haven't been opened when getting out of the car).

With never having them heated on previous cars , tend to forget these bells & whistles and do old fashion things like wipe de-icer onto the mirror glass before setting off.

I don't use the position a lot, as I use the "L" to get reverse left mirror dip and leave it in that position.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!