What size wheels

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Keithp
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Xenons
DAB
Dynaudio
Leather

What size wheels

Post by Keithp »

Hi,

I think I am just about to put pen to paper on a new 2l petrol Tsi dsg. But can't make my mind up on the std 18's or upgrade to the 19's. Looks v ride v handling. I've got a standard focus ST apart from a Dreamscience at the moment.
Grampa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Re: What size wheels

Post by Grampa »

I've only ever driven a Scirocco on 19's but I faced the same dilemma with my previous Astra - standard 18's (like the demo I drove) or go for the (with the Astra) much better looking 19's. I went for the 19's and to be honest there turned out to be very little difference - nothing at all in what I would define as 'ride' but on the 'wrong' surface, which I very rarely encounter, the 19's felt a little harsher.

Handling differences between 18's and 19's? - on the road? - unless you're going to be running round like a lunatic magazine tester and so running the risk of losing your licence or your NCD I can't see that being an issue.

On standard suspension the Scirocco does suffer from rather large arch gaps - although the rolling radius is not very different, the 19's do help to fill the arches visually at least, to negate the arch gaps a little.
scott.taylor
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by scott.taylor »

+1 for what Grampa said.

19's are needed for visual purposes, but ride quality isnt really sacrificed, you wont notice it tbh.
Paralla
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

One thing to consider is kerbing.

I just got a Scirocco with 19's and I'm paranoid about kerbing them, the 35 profile tyres offer no protection from kerbs at all. Maybe 18's would be better in this regard. Obviously 19's look better IMHO.
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

19 inch alloys look great but with the quality of road surfaces down here in Surrey I would not go above 18 inch. I have a couple of friends who have already written off (expensive) low profile tyres fitted to 19 inch alloys.
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have 19's, and can mirror what Grampa said.

On certain roads the feel is a lot harsher, I currently run Avon ZZ3's and have to admit, compared to the SportMaxx's I had, they are a lot more quieter though. Set in Comfort mode this is btw.

Handling, I feel the rocco is a good all rounder, I had a Fiesta ST and the handling in that baby was awesome, the rocco isn't better, but it's not a million times worse. I know the Fezza and Focus are different, but at least it's a little more to add to the comparison. I did learn to drive in a Focus and the set-up was similar to the ST and general road feel, which is why I went for the ST as my first motor.
sparki
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Leather and Lows...

Post by sparki »

Paralla wrote:One thing to consider is kerbing.

I just got a Scirocco with 19's and I'm paranoid about kerbing them, the 35 profile tyres offer no protection from kerbs at all. Maybe 18's would be better in this regard. Obviously 19's look better IMHO.
The 18's are not protected either, there's very little rubber before you hit alloy so dont let that get in your way of some lovely 19s like i did
Keithp
Options: Xenons
DAB
Dynaudio
Leather

Post by Keithp »

19's it is then. With regard to the kerbing issue, you need to look for tyres with a good rim protection, as I found out in the ST.