Fuel/Distance Remaining, how low can it go?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
IROC-CH
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: NAV, Xenon, Sport Pack, Comfort Pack, Multi-Function, PDC, ACC, Cruise

Re: Fuel/Distance Remaining, how low can it go?

Post by IROC-CH »

By filling it really slowly :)

Seriously the pump will auto stop at around 53 or 55 liters. Then from there I slowly fill it up to the top. Basically you are filling up the airlock within the tank.

Recently there was a Golf TDI which ran from Zimbabwe to Cape Town on 1 tank of fuel 1900km odd.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/General_ ... k-20110819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crossbone
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sports package with black alcantara leather seats, metal pedals, tinted rear windows, 18' Interlagos, multi-function steering wheel, rcd 510, 2 zone climatronic, armrest, premium mats, winter package, lights and mirrors package, aluminum foot rest, covered cup holder.

Post by Crossbone »

It's the first time I've heard someone managing to get in more than 56 liters in a scirocco. Clever trick. ;)
Is there any risk of some sort of damage?
IROC-CH
Options: NAV, Xenon, Sport Pack, Comfort Pack, Multi-Function, PDC, ACC, Cruise

Post by IROC-CH »

I don't think that there is a problem with filling it up to the brim. I have done this on all my cars. Perhaps in a hot climate it could over flow if you filled it up when it was really cold outside. But as I fill it up and then drive the fuel is being used.

I suppose from reading the posts here that having to little fuel is worse than having to much.
jamesABT
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box
Options: air ride, abt kit, full custom interior, 19" rotis etc..

Post by jamesABT »

sciroccoboy wrote:You can co until it stops. FACT!

hhahahaahhahahahaahahah CORRECT
blue5
In: Shadow Blue

699km out of a full tank..

Post by blue5 »

I dunno about you but I was delighted with this out of a 2.0 TSI. Image

At the start of a full tank I would get a reading of 740Km range, I've never reached this but the picture shows how close I came. With 8km left in the range (I know there's usually a bit more than the reading). I'm not doing a regular journey during the week but it's all mainly Urban driving and usually have to fill up after 600km. This tank was over a week and a weekend of city and motorway driving.
char
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black

Post by char »

IROC-CH wrote:I don't think that there is a problem with filling it up to the brim. I have done this on all my cars. Perhaps in a hot climate it could over flow if you filled it up when it was really cold outside. But as I fill it up and then drive the fuel is being used.

I suppose from reading the posts here that having to little fuel is worse than having to much.
I cant see why it would cause a problem but I'm pretty sure I read in the manual not to fill it to the brim, like you suggest expansion I guess. :shrug:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Once filled up with cold fuel in another car on a hot day. Drove 4 miles home and parked up on the driveway. 2 hours later came out to find the car venting through the tank vent under the car (older car without charcoal canister vent system) and fuel pushing its way past the fuel filler cap. There was quite a lot of leaked fuel around and it was dissolving the tarmac driveway pretty quickly. Fuel expands quite a bit if it is cold in the underground storage and then put into the tank on a 25'C summer day. Its not a few drips, more like a slow pouring leak!

No doubt if it happens to an overfilled Scirocco III, the fuel will do the same and make its way through the charcoal filter box in the engine bay as well as pushing past the filler cap. As it says in the handbook... "If the automatic filler nozzleis operated correctly, it will switch itself off as soon as the tank is full. Do not try to put in more fuel after the nozzle cuts out, as this will fill the expansion chamber in the fuel tank. This could cause the petrol or diesel to overflow if it becomes warm." Wise words!

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
OldPOP
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by OldPOP »

Based on my walk of shame I managed to get 57.8L in an empty tank until (brimmed).
My R will give a warning at 40miles and at this point it will take 51.5L & 52.25L to brim the tank
When filled from zero I can get 53.5L & 54.0L in to brim the tank
This means I have 6L from the warning to empty and 4L from zero to empty so I agree with others that the warning section drops quicker than reality.
Based on my 30MPG there is 40 miles available on the mechanical trip meter from the warning but the digital counter will say its empty sooner.
p.s. I got caught out because I was expecting about 100 miles from first warning to empty and I forgot how much my R drinks when cold.