What engine would you have?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
gibbsy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Re: What engine would you have?

Post by gibbsy »

Drive_with_Style wrote:Friend from work has got a golf 2.0 gt tdi 170 Dpf. Now I asked him if he has had any trouble with the Dpf. He said no and he drives about 2 mile to work each way. And like me goes on 30 mile plus trips now and again.
What is recommended if the DPF warning light comes on is that you drive for approx 20 minutes at or above 45 mph or until the light goes out. I'll tell you one thing for free, if you get a 170 you'll just want to drive it for fun. I've done just over 5,000 miles and I only picked my 170 DSG up on the 23rd June and as I'm retired I only drive for fun. :nod:
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

gibbsy wrote:
Drive_with_Style wrote:Friend from work has got a golf 2.0 gt tdi 170 Dpf. Now I asked him if he has had any trouble with the Dpf. He said no and he drives about 2 mile to work each way. And like me goes on 30 mile plus trips now and again.
What is recommended if the DPF warning light comes on is that you drive for approx 20 minutes at or above 45 mph or until the light goes out. I'll tell you one thing for free, if you get a 170 you'll just want to drive it for fun. I've done just over 5,000 miles and I only picked my 170 DSG up on the 23rd June and as I'm retired I only drive for fun. :nod:
5000 miles in 3 and a bit months - wow, that's some going. :eek: I have just rolled over 10,000 and has taken me 2 1/2 years.
peppermuncher
In: Deep Black

Post by peppermuncher »

I'm also in the dilemma of which engine to get. Either 2.0 tsi or 2.0 170 tdi.

Only do about 7000 miles a year.

Go to the gym 2-3 times a week that can be taken on a carrageway. 5.5 miles there, 5.5 miles back.

Pop into local town almost everyday for business stuff. 5 mile round trip.

Every 3 months take a 80 mile round trip on the motorway. Every fortnight make a 22 mile round trip (mixture of country roads and 40-50 mph carrageway.

Was swaying towards the diesel, reasons:

a lot lower road tax £125 , insurance is lower and alot better mpg.

Unfortunately getting a bit too old and mature for fast driving. 29! Got a business so i'm very responsible. Boring i know.

Any sound and well balanced opinions will be greatly appreciated.
robmx
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

^^^^

I do pretty much the same sort of mileage as you and I don't think I'd trade my 2.0 TSi in for a diesel any time soon. I'm 30, don't really fancy being boring yet.

My engine of choice (money no object) would be the 5 pot out of a TT-RS.
coullstar

Post by coullstar »

robmx wrote:^^^^

I do pretty much the same sort of mileage as you and I don't think I'd trade my 2.0 TSi in for a diesel any time soon. I'm 30, don't really fancy being boring yet.

My engine of choice (money no object) would be the 5 pot out of a TT-RS.
This man talks sense. I cant believe folk are considering a diseasel if there doing less than 10k miles a year. Looks at fuel costs as well, diesel is about 10p a litre more so you need to be doing big miles to get any apprciable cost difference. I just hate the power delivery, noise and smell of them, granted newer cars are better but its still the devils juice powering them. Even my 2l Tsi is too diesel like in power delivery. FYI I drive 15miles or so a day mainly in light town traffic and I average about 31mpg. I had a diesel Golf before and it would get 42mpg doing the same. That only works out about £250 cheaper on say 7kmiles, you'll spend that easily these days so I dont really see it as a cost argument unless you doing a guge amont of miles.
robmx
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

coullstar wrote:Even my 2l Tsi is too diesel like in power delivery. FYI I drive 15miles or so a day mainly in light town traffic and I average about 31mpg.
You're right there, I came from a 16v Mk3 GTi and granted it was only a bit over 150bhp, so nowhere near as fast, it had such a linear power delivery. It'd pull all the way to limiter, where the TSi feels like it runs out of breath and gets a bit gutless at the top end.
Mark_D

Post by Mark_D »

I had the same dilemma and went for the 2.0TSi (only picked it up on Saturday, yet to stop grinning). Also 30 and not ready to compromise that much just yet. Diesels just can't match the fun and noise of a petrol.

I haven't done massive miles in it yet but I felt it was more that it pulled harder than I expected at lower revs, rather than less than I expected at higher revs. It's much smoother than other turbo engined cars I've driven or been in.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

robmx wrote:
coullstar wrote:Even my 2l Tsi is too diesel like in power delivery. FYI I drive 15miles or so a day mainly in light town traffic and I average about 31mpg.
You're right there, I came from a 16v Mk3 GTi and granted it was only a bit over 150bhp, so nowhere near as fast, it had such a linear power delivery. It'd pull all the way to limiter, where the TSi feels like it runs out of breath and gets a bit gutless at the top end.
having driven mine standard for the last few weeks you really notice the drop off from 5500rpm compared to stage 2 when it pretty much held peak power after 5.5k, in reality the K04 tsi/tsfi lumps are only getting into the swing of things then, they say power corrupts but 200bhp rocco feels rather slow :D
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Post by sciroccorocket »

my old GT 2.0 tsi ran out of breath at higher RPM but my R is a complete different animal all together