Could you live without the Adaptive Chassis Control?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
CTRnutter
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Re: Could you live without the Adaptive Chassis Control?

Post by CTRnutter »

heavymetalmayhem wrote:
CTRnutter wrote: I was about to say the same it makes no difference to throttle well at least I didnt think it did!?
I thought sport sharpened the throttle response. I find that with DSG in sport mode it can be quite difficult to accelerate quickly and smoothly in the wet without wheel spin where as in comfort I find it easier to balance and prevent wheel spin. Also I find in-gear acceleration is sharper in sport mode and the DSG will change down where as in comfort it will hold a gear longer.
Think we have crossed wires, I'm talking about ACC in sport mode not the DSG. Yes the DSG sports mode has a more aggressive throttle response and also holds the revs for longer, if you put it into manual that also has the same effect :) and changes on the limiter even if you dont change gear manually :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
heavymetalmayhem
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

CTRnutter wrote:
heavymetalmayhem wrote:
CTRnutter wrote: I was about to say the same it makes no difference to throttle well at least I didnt think it did!?
I thought sport sharpened the throttle response. I find that with DSG in sport mode it can be quite difficult to accelerate quickly and smoothly in the wet without wheel spin where as in comfort I find it easier to balance and prevent wheel spin. Also I find in-gear acceleration is sharper in sport mode and the DSG will change down where as in comfort it will hold a gear longer.
Think we have crossed wires, I'm talking about ACC in sport mode not the DSG. Yes the DSG sports mode has a more aggressive throttle response and also holds the revs for longer, if you put it into manual that also has the same effect :) and changes on the limiter even if you dont change gear manually :)

I didn't explain very well... I actually meant DSG normal mode ACC in sport mode. :doh:
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

there has been something niggling me about the roc handling over the last few weeks, its currently out of favour for me and i've been wondering why it aint been doing it for me for some reason, penny has dropped for me and its do do with the ACC having, i don't mind the damping (al be it sport is a bit more compromised in my view on UK surfaces) issue for me is i love the weighting of the steering in sport but not in comfort or normal as for me the feel is compromised, thought this debate was worth opening again, and throw a couple of thoughts:

1) the R appears to have it as standard (another reason i'd try before i'd conisder it)
2) people have banged on about it for being an option on the mk6 GTI, i think VW have done the right thing in my view, all be it your dealer demos will proabbly have it as they seem failry well speciified
3) most other countries get this as an option
4) having the ACC on board has detered at so far even the more experienced modders in the UK from putting on a set of coliovers, so far we've stopped at a spring change

answer for me is keep it in sport at the moment, considering the longer term view, but yes i can defiantely life without it :(
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Nobby
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Carat - Top French Spec with Leather heated electric seats, Electric mirrors, Rain Sensor, Auto headlights, Bi-zone air con, Cruise control, Puddle lights, Alloy pedals etc.
+ Sat Nav & alarm (Pack Techno)
+ DCC
+ Parking Sensors & Tyre pressure indicator (Pack City Light)

Post by Nobby »

I test drove the 1.4 without DCC twice, it's not standard here

The car drove great on the standard suspension, just hard enough, still very comfortable & it stuck to the road like sh*t to a blanket !
The test car was on 18" wheels so probably just a little bit harsher than the 17"s

I have specced it on my car but it was only €967.00, I didn't need it but I wanted it :)
(I'm used to £1.00 being worth about €1.50 so It seemed like about £700.00 quid to me - I still think in £s even after 11 years here!)

I don't know if I'd have paid £1200.00 for it but I guess it's personal choice in the end

For example I decided that Dual Xenons weren't worth €1250.00 whereas some people "couldn't live without them"
DickyP
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Interlagos, Multifunction Wheel

Post by DickyP »

Had a roc for the day, first drive to cement my decision on having one. Anyway I was amazed by the acc, how quickly it changes is brilliant. Having a mk2 leon FR I know about firm rides so the rocco in sport mode was firm but comfortable and not fidgety at all.

For me as it's a works car I get complaints in the leon but I hate soft rides so this is the best of both worlds. Hazar VW
Evil Derboy
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

If you're going to stick ACC in either Sport or Comfort all the time then it's definitely not worth having. These are most likely the 2 extremes of stiff and soft in the variable range that Normal mode has. It makes more sense to have it in normal most of the times, then the suspension actually adapts.

Have VW sharpened the steering and throttle response for Sport? More likely they've taken the best settings and dulled it for Normal and Comfort. Don't see the point of that - it seems a backward step just for VW to be able to say that Sport is sportier (and not just because of the ride on Sport setting). Why can't we have the proper throttle resonse and direct steering on all ACC settlings (maybe lose the steering setting on comfort)?

As a Diesel tight-arse, I probably wouldn't have specced it without giving it a thorough test out first, but it does its job well - glad I have it! The ride is much better than my MK5 Golf, but i'm not sure how much of that is down to the ACC and how much is down to chassis improvement of the Scirocco over the MK5 Golf?

I generally keep mine in Normal, except a 1 mile stretch of road that is a 20mph zone and is littered with speedbumps - it goes into Comfort then.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI