Calling all 1.4 122ps owners and Scirocco enthusiasts!!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
jmotero

Re: Calling all 1.4 122ps owners and Scirocco enthusiasts!!!

Post by jmotero »

Have you tried the 1.4 160 bhp?
iceiffy
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Post by iceiffy »

im a 25 year old married man that owns a 122! im very happy with it its got a little kick when i put my foot down saves alot of money on petrol & insurance!
plus if the powers not enough take it to your local ABT Tunner and they can give give u a little map that gives u an extra 50bhp! so you looking at 177bhp with heavyly modding :)

over all the cars great
SwedRoc
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sport pack, Premium pack, panorama glass roof, Dynaudio, RCD510. RS6 18" winter wheels, Interlagos 18" summer wheels, H&R -35mm kit. Full R kit. Custom 3" SS exhaust. Full carbon mirror caps. And bonnet gas struts! ;-)

Post by SwedRoc »

I went for a smaller engine than typical in Sweden, there is an old tradition over here preferring larger cc like 2.4 and up. Very energyminded country but crap at understanding how the Otto engine works...

The downsizing is the best thing in car development in 100 years. Less volume = less internal friction = more efficiency. The lack of "cubic inch" as the americans put it, is compensated by the supercharger/turbo combo which adds up to a high power high tourqe engine. And I don't have to pay for a lot of fuel that's consumed just to run the engine itself. To me, it's great to have a 160hp car that only drinks 5,4 litres per 100km.

Even better so, it's easy and very cost effective to further improve performance without losing fuel efficiency by remap. I'm looking to get 200hp from just 1.4 litre engine and enogh tourqe to make the 2.0 engines rather pointless. I'm not after a track car but a good looking and fun to drive nice handling car with reasonable running and purchase costs. Thus I fully understand and respect the choice for a lesser engine as everyone has different needs and budgets. Some hard core enthusiasts think all of us are going to race in the same track series championship and lesser engine versions will not be competitive enough. ;-)
egobreed
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
Options: Nada!

Post by egobreed »

Just make the most of what you have dude, ignorance is bliss. Mine was ordered as a company car - initially I was getting the 160 petrol, and then it got vetoed because of fuel costs and insurance. I ended up with the TDI 140 despite it being over my monthly rental limit.
If I'd tested the 160 or the 2.0 TSI then I would probably always be conscious of the limitations of the diesel, but it's the only Roc I've driven so I just appreciate it for what it is. On the right road, you can have a lot of fun with it.
And hey, it looks awesome. Still makes me smile every single morning when I walk up to it, and that's when you know that you've made the right choice.
04philj
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by 04philj »

Hughesy88 wrote:my current car (scirocco on order for sept) is a fiesta 1.25 with 75bhp.... so a 122 scirocco is a good step up, people saying 'oh 122 whats the point' obviously dont consider everyones needs. i have 0 no claims and im getting my insurance on my own for the first time, its going to cost me a fortune on a 122 nevermind a remapped 160 or whatever.

Plus im 22, 2 months into my first job after uni, im so excited to get my car and i will be made up and thorougly satisfied and proud to own a 122 at my age.

Hi Hughsey, quite funny that im in the same position you were 5 years ago, currently have a fiesta 1.25 looking to get the new 125bhp gt roc. how did the car end up for you?
CleanDiesel
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: 184 TDI, Dynaudio sound system, adaptive suspenion, electronic differential lock, 90% tinted glass, cruise control, winter pack, reverse camera, fancy phone linking up stuff.

Post by CleanDiesel »

Can't tell you about the 122 as ive never driven in or against anything with that engine.

My advise to you would be don't kid yourself. If you're having to convince yourself, then don't. If the 122 is the target in order to afford insurance, you have to ask yourself what you want. Sure it will be quicker than a 1.2 girls car, but not much. It will look nice for definite. You can tell yourself you're saving £££ on insurance and fuel costs, but if deep down you want something fast, I wouldn't bother, I'd wait and save for a year or two until it becomes feasible to have a fast one.

If all you're after is a nice, sporty looking car to potter about in like a pensioner, then go for it.