!!Timing Chain Tensioner!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Re: !!Timing Chain Tensioner!!

Post by Paradox1 »

Chrisc_91 wrote:Thanks for that Blower! Mines exactly the same as the cam shaft noise in the video. Would you still advise the tensioner upgrade on my 60 plate 1.4tsi for peace of mind?
For the cost of it you may as well get it replaced for piece of mind.
Chrisc_91
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Urano Grey
With a: Manual box

Post by Chrisc_91 »

Waiting for a phone call to get it booked in for a replacement, better to be safe than sorry
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Thats it. I spoke to my mechanic a moment ago. he said hes had a few TSI engines in for a failed tensioner. The repair would come to about £800

I have him the part number of the revised tensioner so he's ordered that for me ready for when I bring my car in. should come in at about £300ish to replace the tensioner
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

My mechanic has seen a few failures in the 1.4 tsi which resulted in complete engine failure. I'll be replacing mine ASAP
blower
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by blower »

VW now do a complete kit which comes with a new chain tensioner, chain, camshaft adjuster, guide rails and sprockets for £200

Part number for the kit for 1.4 TSI 160 : 03C198229C

Note the kit has a different crankshaft and camshaft sprocket and chain to the existing one on the engine, so you must replace everything with whats in the kit (don't just do the camshaft adjuster)
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Candy White

Post by Komar »

when I was replacing my chain set these year, my mechanic ordered all part by car number chasis.....

But not sure if those were the latest revision parts? didnt asked him....

we will see eventualy :D
blower

Post by blower »

Komar wrote:when I was replacing my chain set these year, my mechanic ordered all part by car number chasis.....

But not sure if those were the latest revision parts? didnt asked him....

we will see eventualy :D
The kit is the cheapest way to replacing the chain & tensioner, and you also get a new revised camshaft adjuster as well.

What VW did last year was consolidate a load of engines (1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 FSI / TSI) with just 2 chain kits. Rather than have all these different part numbers.
They did this by coming up with a universal kit that only differed by the crankshaft/oil pump sprocket.
The kit does have a different number of teeth on all the sprockets supplied, compared to what's on the engine from factory - which is why you must replace all the sprockets and camshaft adjuster.
The ratio of course stay the same so the engine runs the same. The chain is also a bit beefier.
Chrisc_91

Post by Chrisc_91 »

I have mentioned the pack to my machanic I'm just awaiting a phone call with a price. What are the rough estimates for this job? So I have an idea. Cheers
blower

Post by blower »

£400 in labour is a rough estimate....depends on their hourly rate and just how good they are with vag cars.
Komar

Post by Komar »

exactly.

Mine was 320£.

I wonder how much would VW dealer take the charge with labour..
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Komar wrote:exactly.

Mine was 320£.

I wonder how much would VW dealer take the charge with labour..
Youd probably have to remortgage.....

Mine is done now.I think there are more seal and gaskets needed to change on the tsi so a bit more than you paid
blower

Post by blower »

Paradox1 wrote:
Youd probably have to remortgage.....

Mine is done now.I think there are more seal and gaskets needed to change on the tsi so a bit more than you paid
Yes the amount of renewable bits is pretty extensive on a timing chain job, let alone the full head removal i did to fit forged pistons.

Not that I (or anyone) actually replaces every single thing the VW workshop guide tells you too....they want you to replace every rubber o-ring seal every time you remove a charge hose.
I replace stretch bolts and critical gaskets, but as for o-rings on ducting/charge hoses i just inspect and if it looks good, back on it goes.
SciroccoEire
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Milltek Cat back , H&R Springs , Stage 1 Remap

Post by SciroccoEire »

Posted in another thread but no harm putting this here too , if it could potentially convince someone else to have the preventative measures carried out!

This just happened this week on my Car ( 69,000 Miles )

Absolutely gutted is an understatement. Car was running perfect and was always maintained to the highest standard.
I would advise anyone to undertake the preventative measures to stop this happening and just pay to fit the revised part.

I am now looking at a 7,000Euro Bill to fit a new engine.

Not sure what i am going to / or can do in this situation . I have had the car for about 4 or 5 years , and absolutely love it to pieces.
Putting 7K back into it when it probably isnt worth that much more....not sure what to do.

I have already had the dreaded intake manifold issue and paid for that replacement , but this is on another level.

Any advice?
PS F*ck you VW and your shit parts!
blower

Post by blower »

SciroccoEire wrote: PS F*ck you VW and your shit parts!
Yep for my preventative measures I stripped my engine down to the cylinder block and rebuilt it with forged pistons (1.4 tsi twincharger), changing the chain, tensioner, sprockets, guide rails, camshaft adjuster and water pump/supercharger clutch with new revised parts whilst there.

Cost me £1200 all in - but that's with me doing all the labour and getting some bargains on parts.....better than needing a new engine when the chocolate pistons crack.
Paradox1

Post by Paradox1 »

Poor show on VW

I got mine done last week. Hadnt noticed any change. it didnt have the rattling noise but at the shame time i didnt want it to Sh1t itself and leave me a massive bill
Komar

Post by Komar »

Well shit!

Mine chain, tensioner and other parts were changed 12 000 miles ago, and now few day back I fell some simpthomps again as it was before we replaced the chain and tensioner :rolleyes:

Not as often as before but I can fell under certan acceleration car jerks a bit, but only when the gas pedal is presed betwen 50-80%.....on low throotle an max goes fine...
And that is all 3tdh gear and up.....not so noticable in first or second.

The other thing is that car couple day ago started to have that weir acceleratin again as before. That is because im writing this, since i had those simptoms before.
Lets say you are in third gear on 2500rpm, you hit the pedal 100%, and that first second acceleration and engine sound feels strange, like there sudden too much torque fors first second, or revs go first then enigine falowws sec later....almost like clutch slipper bit it is not......like something is not sinchronized.....something like chain :D

Since i have wag com at home i will see first if there are any faults....if not can i somehow see timing with vcds?
I know i can read some degress values of camshaft or something....

What the you think blower?
Is it possible that chain has streched again in such low milege? Or maybe it is the tensioner only?
Komar

Post by Komar »

false alarm on that....

i did found the problem while ago, and the problem was sticking GFB....so I removed it, put the brand new OEM Diverter valve now car goes fine....
blower

Post by blower »

Yep i had to remove my GFB DV+ - sticks and caused similar symptoms.
Komar

Post by Komar »

blower wrote:Yep i had to remove my GFB DV+ - sticks and caused similar symptoms.
little offtopic, but is it good on 1.4 tsi after a while to clean a thorrotle body and do adpataion?
blower

Post by blower »

Komar wrote:
blower wrote:Yep i had to remove my GFB DV+ - sticks and caused similar symptoms.
little offtopic, but is it good on 1.4 tsi after a while to clean a thorrotle body and do adpataion?
Definitely - i did mine a few months ago, immediately noticed an improvement in throttle response off the line.
It didn't look that dirty but it was a very noticeable improvement. Of course always do the adaption after.