What now diesel?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Deft
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Rear parking sensors

Re: What now diesel?

Post by Deft »

You can check your VIN on the VW UK site. My 2010 TDI 170 is affected. I think probably the newest TDI variants are fine as they are EU6?
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
In: Candy White
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

Mine is affected :no:

Scirocco GTS 177 Tdi 14MY (1st Registered in July 2013)

chucked my VIN into VW's webpage checker http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo
and got this message

Dear Volkswagen customer,

We regret to inform you that the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the Vehicle Identification Number wvwzzz13zev****** you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy.

We are very sorry to have broken your trust and are working at full speed to find a technical solution. Volkswagen will cover the cost relating directly to this repair.

We will be in touch with you directly to explain what steps are required. We'll do the necessary work at our cost and have you quickly back on the road.

Yours faithfully,

Volkswagen.

Lee
Shaun1982
With a: DSG box

Post by Shaun1982 »

Just checked mine but I'm not on the list with my 2009 59 170
Mr OCD
In: Shadow Blue
Options: All of them ... lol

Post by Mr OCD »

59 reg 170 ... Mines affected.
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

So how does that work then. Shaun has a 59 reg 170 and isn't affected.

Mr ocd has a 59 reg 170 and is affected? ?

Confused.com
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Astrix
I drive a: R-Line
In: Salsa Red

Post by Astrix »

Mine is affected as well.
Anyone any idea what this will mean for the power and fuel economy?
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Just checked
Yep mine is affected to.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Mr OCD
In: Shadow Blue
Options: All of them ... lol

Post by Mr OCD »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:So how does that work then. Shaun has a 59 reg 170 and isn't affected.

Mr ocd has a 59 reg 170 and is affected? ?

Confused.com
Probably down to build week... Mines a very late 59 reg.
VW Scirocco GT 170 in shadow blue metallic with vienna leather, cruise control, parking radar, nav, bluetooth and dynaudio sound system. Remapped and shortshift fitted.
Shaun1982

Post by Shaun1982 »

Mine was registered December 2nd 2009, think I've got the build date at home though,for some reason I'm feeling it was built 2 months prior to registration
Roc Hopper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: CC RPS
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
HBK Sills and chrome fog rings
La Prealpina Aero Roof Bars off for now
Bluetooth done now
Chrome exhaust tips (yeti)
Recessed front plate

Post by Roc Hopper »

Naturally Walter is affected - typical Hopper luck !

Give it ten years and watch the government tell us that electric hybrids are the biggest contributor to the melting polar ice caps the world has ever seen, once we've done what they want which is to go buy a Prius - sigh
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

I am starting to think this whole VW diesel thing will blow over in time. British motorists see VW cars as well designed and built and VW owners don't want to see extra depreciation on their (diesel) cars. Give it a year or two and it will be 'what VW problem?' although I think more generally sales of diesel cars will fall a bit.
brian2.0TDiblue
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Sports pack - RNS-510, Alcantara seats,

Post by brian2.0TDiblue »

Checked, mines affected too, does anyone think we have any recourse with the dealer/VW on the excessive depreciation (assumed) our cars will have. Also, what if the road tax we pay changes, anything happens to that then we surely have grounds for something under being mislead,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

The government have already said that the road tax will not change. Lots of speculation about at the moment about compensation on the fact cars would of lost money. Some places say could be £1000s some say who knows?

My issue is if this recall would be compulsory and I took it in. And it did alter the performance of the car by reducing the power output. I would then want compensation for buying a car on the grounds it had x amount of power and now it's not. Also it would wipe my remap off which would be annoying.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Jason81
In: Deep Black
Options: - Rear Parking Sensors
- Parrot Bluetooth
- LED Sidelights

Post by Jason81 »

Just received a letter from VW stating that my vehicle is affected by this issue (Type EA189 2.0l Diesel engine). And that they are working on a technical solution, ensuring that no immediate action is required and that my car is both safe technically and roadworthy. And they will be in touch when the technical solution is available.
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

Interesting to see that they have not yet got a technical solution. I think the reaction of many of us here (and maybe the market for the cars more generally) will depend on what the solution is. So none of us really knows yet. (Mine is a 2010 TDI 140 so I have had the letter too.)
Jimijokela
Options: Airlift Performance suspension, Work Emitz 10"x19", 10.5"x19", R-bodykit and exhaust, Mk7 flat bottom steering wheel, remap, carbon interior, fully working Facelift R bi-xenons.

Post by Jimijokela »

lol, the letter hasn't arrived yet in Finland but i know mine's affected. Dont like it at all since im probably losing the remap. If it affects the hp i'll remap it again immediately.
Deagol
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Left my 170 TDi at the dealer this morning for its annual service. My car is affected, so I asked the Service Manager "Am I forced to take VWs solution on the recall, given that it is not a safety issue?" He told me that I won't HAVE to have the work done but if I chose to go that way, there'd probably be a bit of paper for me to sign taking full responsibility for declining the "technical solution" - whatever that turns out to be.

This might be a comfort to those members who have a remapped car.

Frankly, unless VW go public with the full details of what this "cheat software" actually does at the testing station versus what the car kicks out of the exhaust when it's not in cheat mode, then no-one is going to understand it anyway. And if the solution to the problem has only a marginal impact on MPH / MPG / CO2 / NOx then I suspect it will be a solution to shut the American market up rather than EU.

I'm still waiting for the next manufacturer to get their collar felt by the California fun-police. Not that any US-built gas guzzlers would ever come under scrutiny (or am I being too cynical in my old age.....) Can anyone compare the nasty emissions of a VW diesel against say a Buick or a Caddy (or a Mack or a Peterbilt) ?

D
Baptised with Aerosmith