Dash camera

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
lesvw123
I drive a: R-Line
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: BCS R TWIN SPORTS CAT BACK EXHAUST
Votex front diffuser
road angel halo crash camera
Folding mirrors
90% rear tint
stage 1 remap Celtic tuning 199bhp
Pedal box
Rear camera
Vwr springs
Ispiri irs10 wheels 8.5 et 32
VWR panel filter

Re: Dash camera

Post by lesvw123 »

Just insured my car and for the first time they gave discount for having a dash cam with swift cover .com it didn't give a percentage it was in with the quote but it looks like it's the way forward to keep insurance prices down
I'm very impressed with the road angel cam as well as front and rear camera you have gps location so on play back you can follow your route via map or sat
I connected mine to the fuse box as it comes with a separate hardwire and fuse connection
Blowie123
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Nav, Front & Rear OPS, Heated Leather, Metal Pedals, Interior LED's, 18" Black Interlagos, Black Mirrors & Badges, Red Calipers

Post by Blowie123 »

RocPaperScissors wrote:Here you are. The add-a-fuse is in the top row 2nd from left. It was previously empty (facelift) and is switched. I have a 3a fuse in there and the small black box half hanging off where I knocked the tape is a 5V 3a step down module with two USB ports earthed to the chassis you can see top right wrapped in electrical tape.

From the drivers side, you can't actually see it sitting in the drivers seat.

And the passenger side. I do intend to tidy it up a bit, possibly using the 8 inch lens extension for the mobius and put the mobius out of sight, but for now it's fine.
Hi RocPaperScissors, im looking at hardwiring a USB from my fusebox to use as a phone charger, can you offer some advise?

I'm planning on buying the below, will this do the job?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What fuse will I need to buy aswell, and is it as simple as crimping the red wire from the usb box into the piggy back fuse, what do I do with the black wire from the usb box?
Springs
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Post by Springs »

they will work, need to work out which fuse will work for you as there are micro fuses as well in the car. If going by the picture above it would be a micro fuse tap you would need.

the red wire from the tap in fuse goes to the red wire on the usb, the black wire is the earth. This needs to be connected on a common earth point. On the picture it's connected to one of the dash bolts.
Blowie123
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: Nav, Front & Rear OPS, Heated Leather, Metal Pedals, Interior LED's, 18" Black Interlagos, Black Mirrors & Badges, Red Calipers

Post by Blowie123 »

Thanks mate much appreciated, will order the bits tonight and fit over the weekend