What Transmission Option would you have?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RussZS
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Re: What Transmission Option would you have?

Post by RussZS »

Agree that you really need to try both, and I think it depends how much time you spend sat in traffic jams.

I have a manual Edition 30 Golf, running 315BHP and I wish I'd have gone DSG now as it could handle a larger amount of power through the clutch, and I do spend a lot of time in traffic on the M5/6.

Defo DSG for me in future.
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Re: What Transmission Option would you have?

Post by Gary_Monkey »

After years of commuting in heavy traffic using a manual I was desperate for DSG when I ordered my Scirocco. Never regretted my decision. First time I've ever had it in a car and I love it. It's a joy to use especially in heavy commuter traffic. You just let the DSG do all the hard work.

Smooth as silk too. The gear changes are imperceptible. You only notice the revs drop as it moves up the gears.

Another incredible fact is that the 7 speed DSG is more economical than the manual. I reckon the next 6 speed variant will do the same too. Or they'll just re-engineer the current 7 sp to make it more robust (i.e. be able to handle far more torque) and fit it on the rest of the range.

Only gripes (and I'm nit picking here) are not being able to go from say 7th down to 2nd in one jump. It just can't be done with DSG. Also when you're going down a steep incline the car does run away with its self until you manually override it. Engine breaking isn't as good with DSG either (or maybe that's just my tiny 1.4 engine for you).

My advice is test both and see which one gives you the biggest smile.

Gaz
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009