Headlights on all the time

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: Headlights on all the time

Post by maisbitt »

An 11 reg car (i.e. registered on or after 01 March 2011) with no DRLs is breaking the new EU law. All cars for sale within the EU after 07 February 2011 have to have them. You can disable the DRLs through VAGCOM, but if you do it for a 07 Feb 2011 and onwards car, you could be done for it.

Looking through the UK guidance (see weblink below), it seems perfectly acceptable to make your sidelights your DRLs and stop the dipped beam being on permanently, as is set up by the factory. If a dealer were to disable them for you for an 11 reg car, they'd be in trouble too.

The likelihood of getting stopped by the bobbies is probably low (less so with a personal plate, as your car's age isn't obvious), but you'd probably fail your MOT if you didn't have them back on for the test.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicle ... lights.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Transport Technology and Standards
Department for Transport
General requirements
Legislation and requirements:

...... DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL.
@maisbitt
OK reading through that Information Sheet......

So how are you going to solve this one with your pending sidelight DRL modification otherwise the sidelight DRL configuration is illegal is it not?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
robbiesykes123
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by robbiesykes123 »

Picking up my new Scirocco next week, having had A3s for 10 years and got fed up of waiting for Audi to pull their fingers out on the new one...

Really looking forward to picking up a great looking car, having been driving its 2.0T DSG cousin for the past 4 years, but this headlights business is putting a bit of a dampener on it. I knew Scirocco GTs didn't have dedicated DRLs but hadn't realised it was the actual headlights that are on all the time until I started browsing round here! Bugger. :grumpy:

I can't believe how VW have cocked-up on this. What would have been so difficult about having the tiny sidelights on, with the headlights coming on via the auto function or manually? Do the headlights operate at full-on maximum brightness during the day, or only when you manually switch them on or the sensor judges it sufficiently dark?

I did wonder if VW had no option because the sidelights really are tiny and low down, and might be less visible when indicating? The DfT document linked above does seem to suggest sidelights are fine as DRLs, but I suppose the legislation itself needs to be scrutinised. If that is the reason, then maybe switching to sidelights only would technically be illegal.

I suppose it's an unplanned early trip to my friendly backstreet garage to hook up to his VAGCOM, as I guess the dealers won't want to interfere, especially if the legal position is a bit ambiguous.

Has anyone out there just got used to it, or actually think it adds to the "look"?
dougroc
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Viper Green
Options: heated leather seats

Post by dougroc »

The headlights being on all the time doesn't really bother me, because after all what is the problem. However, it does seem odd and I wonder if anyone has ever had an official announcement from Vw as to why they are done like this? Would have looked far better to have led's standard on all models.
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

RW1 wrote:
Transport Technology and Standards
Department for Transport
General requirements
Legislation and requirements:

...... DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL.
@maisbitt
OK reading through that Information Sheet......

So how are you going to solve this one with your pending sidelight DRL modification otherwise the sidelight DRL configuration is illegal is it not?

C.
RW: I'm under the the impression that the use of the word "may" doesn't make it mandatory to dim sidelights as DRLs when indicating, dimming is just something that manufacturers may consider doing, although that link does say that it is the DTIs interpretation of the EU law - seems that the DTI don't know the full extent of the legislation, only their interpretation of it. How close is close when determining distance between DRLs and indicators? There is no minimum or maximum requirement for DRL brightness according to that information sheet, so how bright does a DRL close to an indicator have to be before it would be considered to be masking the indicator if it does not dim when the indicators are on?

Are the sidelights on when you are running DRLs (dipped beam) on a non xenon Roc? I think they are on mine (looking at the reflection of the front of the car on the garage door) , and if so the indicators could potentially be masked.

I think the new law is very wooly, open to much interpretation. It is in your best interests not to have sidelight DRLs so much brighter than the indicator as to render the indicator useless, but I think a straightforward use of sidelights as DRLs won't do this with either the use of a standard bulb or a moderate LED bulb replacement.

I think we wouldn't be considered to be breaking the law by doing my proposed mod.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Just that, with DRLs side by side or very near proximity do dim, in fact they go out on other cars from what I have seen, Scirocco's are in the same unit! (If you do it.) Seems the manufacturers may have taken the latter sentence as the hint to do it to avoid uncertainty.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
roadrat

Post by roadrat »

Because my car doesn't have the stalk method to deactivate the DRLs I asked the dealer to disable them at its first service and got the same response as others, i.e. VW don't allow them to do it. The guy was very apologetic but it doesn't help me!

Has anyone formally raised this nonsense with VW UK? For me it is definitely a safety HAZARD as the number of times people have pulled out in front of me is ridiculous.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my DRL's deactivated?

Thanks
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

The idea of DRLs is to make you more noticeable on the road. Unfortunately standard dipped headlights during brighter days make a rather poor job of that and don't make you stand out.
Quite a few cars now are driving round with LEDs as DRLs and even on bright days these are really obvious. I'm sure this is the way most manufacturers will go with DRLs. Its a greener option too as LEDs use less power, are more efficient and last longer than bulbs.
However I do have my doubts about the true value of this idea in years to come when every car on the road will be driving round with DRLs on. Perhaps by then they'll decide that turning them off makes you more noticeable :shrug:
JohnFol
In: Deep Black
Options: 10 'plate
RNS-510
reversing sensors
Dynaudio
Disabled DRL

Post by JohnFol »

Hi roadrat, I tried to get the dealer to turn them off as they did not behave as per the instruction manual. They raised the issue with VW, but the technican left the dealership. I tried with VW and they said "speak to the dealer if they do not behave as per the instruction manual". Back to the dealer and they say VW don't allow them to deactivate DRLs. Back to VW on a different approach. "Dear VW, I paid for auto dusk sensing lights as part of the price of my car, yet they do not work. I believe a setting made by VW renders this safety feature inoperative. Please can you direct the dealer to assist?"
tumbleweed. . .. . ..nothing . .. silence. . . .
In the end, get VAGCOM or find someone local to get them deactivated, but bear in mind all that has been said about being registered after March 2011 and the EU legislation.
I'd boycot VW, but I guess that the next new car I buy, VW or otherwise will have DRLs so what is a boy to do!