Manual or DSG?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Re: Manual or DSG?

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Never driven a dsg.
But been out in my uncles golf dsg and really liked it.
If I was to choose again then would really consider dsg myself.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
SC0TTRS
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by SC0TTRS »

Been driving Manual all my 'driving life' so going to DSG was a bit strange but always wanted one. 8)

Honestly, i'm still not 100% sure I like it at the moment......To me, I feel slightly detached from the car.. :( like i'm not in full control even in Manual as the box will still drop down a gear if it thinks it's needed, (I know a DSG Re-map would solve this issue, but i'm not liking the £299+ price for the privilege :grumpy:) and i'm always visually looking at what gear i'm in, instead of using ya trusty 'hand on the gear stick' and concentrating on the road when giving it the beans! lol

Gearbox in 'Drive' will change up too quickly for my liking in certain circumstances and in 'Sport' not soon enough when cruising so I can't use as an alternative and 'Manual' is only useful when racing up and down the gears.....maybe i'm expecting too much from the DSG. :rolleyes:

On the plus side I find a long drive not so tiring and stuck in traffic, bliss. :clap:

So.....so far i'm concluded maybe DSG is not suited for my driving style.....i'm too far down the 'Manual' style to use anything else....I still need to get used to it?!....or its just crap! hah :lol:

Been driving it for a month now.

Just my humble option, guys. ;)
Stejay21
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Post by Stejay21 »

I'm really confused by this sudden demand of DSG over manual, especially in a sports car. I can't help but wonder why so many people are moving away from manual. Surely there's an element of control being lost with a DSG and whilst I recognise the marginally improved speed and smoothness of gear changes, is there something else I'm missing, it can't just be personal preference?
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by andyy »

Stejay21 wrote:I'm really confused by this sudden demand of DSG over manual, especially in a sports car. I can't help but wonder why so many people are moving away from manual. Surely there's an element of control being lost with a DSG and whilst I recognise the marginally improved speed and smoothness of gear changes, is there something else I'm missing, it can't just be personal preference?
Imo I think it's not only the fact that the semi auto / auto boxes have come a long way in the past few years.

Also, the fact that congestion on roads is getting worse and worse! DSG boxes and the like let you have an easy commute in traffic, but give you the option to have a bit of fun with the paddles in the 'manual' mode when you get the opportunity :)
andyy
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by andyy »

Stejay21 wrote:I'm really confused by this sudden demand of DSG over manual, especially in a sports car. I can't help but wonder why so many people are moving away from manual. Surely there's an element of control being lost with a DSG and whilst I recognise the marginally improved speed and smoothness of gear changes, is there something else I'm missing, it can't just be personal preference?
Imo.. I think it's not only the fact that the semi auto / auto boxes have come a long way in the past few years.

Also, the fact that congestion on roads is getting worse and worse! DSG boxes and the like let you have an easy commute in traffic, but give you the option to have a bit of fun with the paddles in the 'manual' mode when you get the opportunity :)
SMB
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: RNS510, Parking, Panoramic Roof, Deep Black, Heated Seats, Leather, Electric Drivers Seat, Dynaudio, 19", Colour display, Electric folding Mirrors, cruise, Parking Sensors

Post by SMB »

There are a number of reasons dual clutch boxes are taking over.
- congestion as already mentioned, ease of use, fuel efficiency, co2 efficiency in official tests, more consistent acceleration in the latest generation of smaller turbo engines, trend for more gears in search of efficiency, headline performance figures, a new generation of drivers brought up on computer games,

In real terms I find that any modern car is easy to drive, almost too easy, they flatter your driving style, are well mannered and handle well. Some of the enjoy,ent of driving well has been lost in a modern car, as the skill required to do it just right I think is less. The manual gearbox really hasn't changed in decades, the biggest evolution being more gears, but they just aren't as much fun to drive well as an older car.

When cars go electric will there be a manual gearbox? I think not.

I went dsg 2.5 years ago on the daily driver, keeping a manual for the weekend sportscar. I never feel bored in the dsg but I do arrive somehow slightly less tired by the journey.