Dash camera

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Rob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Re: Dash camera

Post by Rob »

RocPaperScissors wrote:
And the passenger side. I do intend to tidy it up a bit, possibly using the 8 inch lens extension for the mobius and put the mobius out of sight, but for now it's fine.
Is there not a strap attachment that goes through thhe plastic holder that the suction mount screws into on these? If there is can you not use that to attach to the rear view mirror mount? Not having to use the auction mount would not half tidy it up a lot. I've got a mini0803 fitted to mine and if the möbius can attach to the rear view mount, I might swap mine over.
GeordieViper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Black Lugano wheels
Black Vienna Leather
RNS 510 Nav
Piano black dash trim

Post by GeordieViper »

Any advice on removing the interior light and A pillar trim?
dimexi
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Interior light is easy enough - see the bluetooth installation thread. I wouldnt take off the pillar if I were you. I'd tuck the wires down the side
GeordieViper
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Black Lugano wheels
Black Vienna Leather
RNS 510 Nav
Piano black dash trim

Post by GeordieViper »

Thanks dimexi, I'll give it a go
RocPaperScissors
In: Night Blue
Options: Facelift GT 184
Titan Black Alcantara/Cloth Upholstry
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

Post by RocPaperScissors »

Rob wrote:Is there not a strap attachment that goes through thhe plastic holder that the suction mount screws into on these? If there is can you not use that to attach to the rear view mirror mount? Not having to use the auction mount would not half tidy it up a lot. I've got a mini0803 fitted to mine and if the möbius can attach to the rear view mount, I might swap mine over.
Yeah there is, there are 4 small slots on the top (and you can actually remove the mount screw easily) which you could slot something through, though they go front to back so might need some fiddling to attach at a sensible angle. I might have a go one day. Alternatively I was tempted to shove the möbius into the interior light assembly and poke the lense cable out somehow if I can manage that without damaging anything.
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

dimexi wrote:Interior light is easy enough - see the bluetooth installation thread. I wouldnt take off the pillar if I were you. I'd tuck the wires down the side
Yeah if you're happy with tucking the wires down I'd do that, getting the a pillar off was a right pain in the ass. I had to remove the small airbag clip (which I broke and had to buy another from vw for a few quid), it's designed to be self destructing so be careful! Once you get that off there's a small clip you need to press with a small flathead while pulling the whole a pillar away towards the dash and up slightly, mine required some serious force to get it off, I thought I was going to break it. It has 3 different spring pins spread evenly along it to hold it in place. You'll need to take even more care if yours has an airbag behind it not to knock it or set it off and make sure the wires aren't in the way if it does need to go off, the facelift didn't have one there (it's above the door). Once I got it all off I managed to get the wires hidden completely down to the fuse box behind bits of detachable trim, but it was not fun. As dimexi said, don't do it unless you really feel confident and have to!
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

The only reason why I said it is because I have prior experience :')... When I was going to fit my bluetooth module, I thought I had to take off the A pillar - first of all, I almost broke the clip (one of the legs/lugs has been hyper stretched - then I panicked because I didnt know I could buy another!! Then actually getting the A Pillar to move was a nightmare, I hadnt spotted the slot you needed to release! Then I had to drive around for a few days with my trim hanging off as I figured a way to remove it lol. Then I thought it possible wasnt best to put any wires in there as they might at as a projectile on airbag deployment...

If you are worried about it going off while installing, disconnect the battery negative terminal - I think that helps (as per cruise control installation)....

I might struggle tucking the wires in the side as the bluetooth module is already installed - but I will give it a good go, or just buy the airbag clips ready.

what is the part number for the little bugger? Do you know?

Also, I have had a little tuck at the trim located at the rear view mirror... It is pretty hard to pry off! How did you get the wires through there?!
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Post by /////AMG »

I used the bluetooth guide too for my Mobius. The trim/roof lining area was tough. The closer I got to the rear view mirror the less give I had, so I didn't risk pulling it down. Try as much as you can and feed the wire on the edge of it. It will stay even if it's not fully hidden. TBH if you do that the small bit of wiring that does stick out close to the rear view mirror isn't noticeable at all unless you are looking from underneath.

I'll post my pics up if I can, I wish I had taken some during my install now.
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

That's what I thought... Not worries man, I will figure it out, I wrote the Bluetooth guide, so should be able to figure it out (even thought I installed the bluetooth 2 years ago lol)
erics67
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: 2.0 TSI 220
Keyless - Xenon - Park Assist - Dynaudio Excite - Glass Roof

Post by erics67 »

Hi,
I used a dashcam first HP210, yet HP310 since over one year
to have it proper in the Scirocco, I put an USB cord in the roof and plug it into 12V->5V converter who is connected behind the Cigar lighter
Has the converter had 2 USB plug, i used the second with another USB cord to recharge my smartphone
2015 Volkswagen Scirocco 2.0 TSI 220 R-Line Ultra Violet
lesvw123
I drive a: R-Line
Options: BCS R TWIN SPORTS CAT BACK EXHAUST
Votex front diffuser
road angel halo crash camera
Folding mirrors
90% rear tint
stage 1 remap Celtic tuning 199bhp
Pedal box
Rear camera
Vwr springs
Ispiri irs10 wheels 8.5 et 32
VWR panel filter

Post by lesvw123 »

just fitted a road angel halo dash camera comes with front and rear cameras ive managed to hide the cables under the headlining using a panel tool
I will post some pics shortly the software and quality of video is amazing other than the cost on offer at the moment £169 from road angel group a bit steep but good quality
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

dimexi wrote:what is the part number for the little bugger? Do you know?
Completely missed this...the part number for the little clip is 1K8 853 437 82V.
Last edited by RocPaperScissors on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Thanks for the part number!! No worries man! I havent got round to even buying a dash cam yet, going to have to research which is best. Day after day, the need gets bigger and bigger. People complain about london drivers, at least they are not brain dead like drivers in Bristol :(
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

No worries. Turns out you need the colour code on the end too (82V). They are <£2.

Yeah I've caught some crazy drivers on mine and a couple of close shaves and I've only had it in for around 5000 miles. Including one who'd spun and parked on a bush in the side of the road, a lorry who'd taken out roadworks on the motorway which scattered chunks of cone and safety light on the carriageway (which I promptly drove over at 50mph and almost cried but no damage luckily) and a taxi scrape a drivers bumper while parking in front of them on the roadside only to pretend nothing had happened, I had the whole thing recorded from the other side of the road. If I get a <expletive here> person driving particularly close to my rear end tend to speak their license number, just in case, call me paranoid...

The mobius is a great bit of kit for the cost though.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Have a look at the mobius helmet mount, it's actually a better fit than the actual car one. Obviously you have to cut off the strap and I shaved the loop that the strap goes though off just to make it look that bit neater. Sticks to the footed area around the rear view and totally misses the surround for the light sensor
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by /////AMG »

What is the cheapest mobius around? I am looking to add a rear facing camera to my collection ever since I was rear ended! I'm sure they used to so something like an #80 for £15 but can't seem to find anything except the ActionCam on sale.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You'll need one that starts recording when it gets power to it so approx £45
Rob

Post by Rob »

There's a new basic camera that looks like it'll do the job, you'll still need a power cable though.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0874297245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the actual manufacturer of the mobius cameras, I bought 4 from them and they arrived in 10 days.
selleym
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/1/k ... amera.html
This it's the dash cam I want. Just waiting for UK retailer!
Be nice to tuck it away two tiny cameras! And if you have a headunit with video in. You can have your dash cam on the headunit! Shame I only have an rcd510 :(
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

So I fitted my Dashcam today!! I bought a pretty pricey model, and it might not be everyone's kettle of fish, but hopefully it will last me years and years!! IT is a Blackvue DR650 2 Channel cam
I havent made a howto guide unfortunately, but I havent come across anyone who had difficulty installing.

It must have taken me in total about 2.5 hrs, that includes faffing time (and I DO faff a lot!!).

I took off the map console light, but I really didnt need to do that..

The driver side vanity light was the key!!! I have a two channel camera, so the front needed to be connected to the rear one.

- Remove the vanity light, pull down the trim directly in line with it. Poke one end of the cable through and feed it till you see it poke out at the light.
- Drag most of the cable through, make sure you leave the right length at the windshield area for connection.
- (see bluetooth guide for this step) - peel down the room trim at the driver door area and feed through a coat hangar till it reaches the vanity light area.
-Tape the other end of the rear cam cable to a straightened out coat hanger and pull it through.
- Now the hard bit!! Start to peel down the roof trim along the B Pillar and feed the wire (while tucking in) towards the back.
-Tuck any excess wire into the rear airbag plastic trim.

-For the power cable, I couldnt feed this the way I fed the 2-CH rear cam cable.
- Power cable: use a plastic trim tool to carefully pry back the top of the A pillar airbag trim. Feed the cable around and into it.
- Tuck the connector end of the cable between the Roof trim and the windshield.
- Feed the power end of the cable AWAY from the A pillar and into the Roof trim area, and carry on towards the rear of the vehicle as you did with the first Cable.

I took A few Pics:

Power cable install: See how I squezzed the cable into the Airbag A pillar trim? it fit pretty well

Both cables dangling after being tucked between windshield are roof trim

Cables fed all the way to the rear, thats a snap from the boot area. I connected to the cigarette lighter socket in the boot.. What a fantastic idea to have one there