Daylight running lights

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Mark V

Re: Daylight running lights

Post by Mark V »

Tail lights will also be permenantly on in this configuration though.....
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

When I asked my VW dealer about DRLs and the fact that my later built car did not follow the "indicator stalk" routine to disable DRLs, they said that as the introduction of DRLs was (apparently) under EU law, they are strongly advising customers not to disable them.

Last year, I got clouted on a narrow country lane by someone driving too fast coming towards me. When I put in my insurance claim statement - amongst many things - that my car's lights were on because it was fitted with permanently active DRLs, it weakened her case about how she came to collide with me. I made full recovery through her insurance and my No Claims record is intact.

This experience more than makes up for any negative thoughts about trundling around in summer sunshine with my lights one !

D
Baptised with Aerosmith
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Deagol wrote:When I asked my VW dealer about DRLs and the fact that my later built car did not follow the "indicator stalk" routine to disable DRLs, they said that as the introduction of DRLs was (apparently) under EU law, they are strongly advising customers not to disable them.
Yes - the introduction of DRL lighting to passenger cars does indeed come under EU law - but what your dealer neglected to to tell you was that it only applies to new designs of cars that were Type Approved after February 2011 (ie not your Scirocco)!

Furthermore the lighting set up on the current (non xenon) Scirroco are not DRL's - they are simply headlights which heve been rendered inoperable and are neither DRL compliant nor required by the law (EU DRL specifications state that the use of the headlights as DRL's is not acceptable in any case!).

You should certainly give consideration to the use of headlights in any situation where they would make your vehicle more easily seen by other road users and pedestians - although headlights are designed primarily to see with, not to render your car more visible.

Take a look here for more info:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... ing_Lights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stian82
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Repainted the car from deep black to candy white.made it emblem free. Milltek nonres exaust. Scirocco R20 frontbumper orginal drl led.

Post by Stian82 »

Hi everyone.
I have an 2009 rocco 2,0tsi. Halogen lights.
I bought original R20 bumper and orginal drl led.
Do i need adapter or something to get them to work? Its 2pins in the parklight and my new drl are 3pins...
To get the blinkers to be in the headlight needs to drill a hole in the headlight..? Or using wagcom..
This gives me headake hehe.
Stian...
Dubvrs
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: XDS activated
Rain closure
Beep on unlock and lock
Panoramic roof
DAB
Rear parking sensors
Tan Vienna leather
Yeti tail pipes
Led number plate lights
Black VW badges
Golf GTI pedals

Post by Dubvrs »

De activated my DRLs on my 2010 Rocco. Managed to get both the dipped and sidelights off.
A3Baak
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Dark Oak
Options: Light and sight package
Dynamic package
RCD 310 and NO Bluetooth
Donington 17" With Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by A3Baak »

De-activated the DRL yesterday at a non VW garage, and let him do a lot more.
Paid the chap 20 euros as agreed.

Cheers,

Adrie
Vador
Options: 19" Luganos
Cruise Control
Winter Pack (Heated Seat Heaven)
Philips Bulb Upgrades
RLine Steering Wheel Badge
RLine Metal Pedals
VAG Scirocco boot liner
Avon ZZ5 Tyres
DRL Deactivated via VCDS

Post by Vador »

Got mine sorted at Awesome GTI recently.

Off = Off (Everything off)
On = On (Everything on)
Side = (Sides & Rears)
Auto = (Works as it should do, lights on in dark/dull conditions & off in bright conditions)

Bit like Ronseal now, does exactly what it says on the switch :)
Toreilly
Options: Retrofit Cruise Control
Deactivated DRL

Post by Toreilly »

Hi all,

I have a 2010 GT 170 Scirocco and have the annoying daylight running lights.

Can anyone recommend a garage around Birmingham which would be able to disable them?

Thanks.
junti
In: Viper Green
Options: Xenon Lights, Panorama sunroof, Bluetooth, RNS310, Multifunc. steeringwheel.

Post by junti »

Hi Guys, I need help, I have 2010 rocco with bixenon lights, I have DRL running (led) and I find them perfect, only thing I don't like is the rear light are off, is there a way in VAG how to keep front DRL as it is and + activate rear parking light or normal lights ( I guess they are the same) ?
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

junti wrote:Hi Guys, I need help, I have 2010 rocco with bixenon lights, I have DRL running (led) and I find them perfect, only thing I don't like is the rear light are off, is there a way in VAG how to keep front DRL as it is and + activate rear parking light or normal lights ( I guess they are the same) ?
why wouldn't you just put your sidelights on using the switch ? - this will achieve exactly what you've just asked for :rolleyes:
junti
In: Viper Green
Options: Xenon Lights, Panorama sunroof, Bluetooth, RNS310, Multifunc. steeringwheel.

Post by junti »

why wouldn't you just put your sidelights on using the switch ? - this will achieve exactly what you've just asked for :rolleyes:[/quote]

not exactly, if I switch to ''parking lights''(first position to the right) the rear will be on and the parking lights will be on, if I move switch button 2 times to right xenon lights will be on together with rear light.

I would like to keep it on ''Auto'' so during the night I am on xenons and during the day I am using ''day time running lights'' only problem during this DRL the rear lights are off - it is completely fine with EU legislation, I would just prefer to have rear light on so others can see me better.
ajaymakhecha
With a: DSG box

Post by ajaymakhecha »

Dougal16 wrote:
RisingRoc wrote:Hi Topaz - pretty sure (and Mark V will confirm) that if the DRL's are turned off in VCDS, the AUTO light function still works - ie the lights will come on when it's dark in winter no problem.
Morning all

I confirm that if you use a garage that has Vagcom, and they disable the Headlights from coming on with the sidelights as DRLs, then the AUTO light function still works OK. The sidelights then stay on as DRLS .

I run a 63 plate 2.0 GT Diesel Auto Scirocco, I live in East Sussex, close to the Kent border and there is an excellent VW privately owned garage (with Vagcom) in Tunbridge Wells, hope this helps.

Best wishes all,
Dougal
Hey Dougal,
What is the name of the garage in Tunbridge Wells? and how much did they charge you?