R brakes advice

Everything about the R for potential owners.
b0rk
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Re: R brakes advice

Post by b0rk »

From experience the juddering will subside over time it's likely you've over heated the factory pads and they've deposited material on discs. This may take a few weeks of normal use to clean up, slamming the brakes on will not generally clean up pad residue. I'd be surprised if you've warped the discs. Getting the surface of the disc skimmed may resolve matters quicker than letting it subside naturally if it's pad material build up.

Upgrade wise personally I'd go for a harder pads there are plenty that fit ds2500's being the obvious choice, then if you still find the car under braked upgraded disc's/callipers. Any decent multipot design will do and I wouldn't become obsessed with disc diameter, remember a E43 M3 has "only" 325mm dia discs, E9x M3 360mm dia, b6 RS4 365mm dia... Do check for pad "options" with any particular BBK upgrade as some really limit the range of choices. Porsche 996TT callipers (vv cheap on ebay) are probably an upgrade in terms of stopping power even with no increase in rotor size, a fitting kit is obviously required as but potentially for sub £1000 all in represents a worthwhile budget option.

For me I'll be trying Mintex M1144 compound pads next with yet more OEM rotors having managed kill off a set DS2500's after only four track days. :shrug:
I assume the tarox strada pads are fairly similar in terms of performance to a set of "brembo" HP sport pads which I tried and rejected late last year as both are ECE R90 so limited in terms upgraded performance to max +15% friction. The HP2000 really where not a patch on DS2500's on track. Personally I'd stay away from drilled rotors having had a set develop cracking long before being ready for replacement on a previous car a few years ago.