White soon to be cost option?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Re: White soon to be cost option?

Post by RisingRoc »

rm0rgan wrote:
RisingRoc wrote:...and just watch the value of white cars drop in the second hand market as everyone realises they are everywhere and pain to keep clean!
Really? This recent article would seem to suggest the opposite :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found this quote interesting - "Blue cars still languish below market average values, continuing to earn the trade's disdain with popular label of 'doom blue'" :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z29jESxAlz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some cars are just suited to white better than others- I don't think any manufacturer would miss out on the opportunity to make a little extra margin if they can :nod:
That kind of doesn't suprise me as the data is probably from the last couple of years. As white has become SO common across SO many cars it's residual value will drop as people look for something different. THese things are all cyclical. Guess I'm still screwed with my Rising Blue though!
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

White is boring anyway :devil . Red suits the shape well though! :)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I love red cars and have owned a few over the years but for some reason that I can't explain I don't like the red on the Scirocco.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Yes - as said above, I guess these things are cyclical. Back in the 90's I owned a white Astra GTE, but then white seemed to switch over to silver as the 'must have' colour.

I nearly bought a brand new silver Ford Puma in 1999 but literally changed my mind at the time of order (in favour of blue) when I could see the forecourt was awash with silver cars!

Now white is the fashionable colour so yes, not surprised they are charging a premium for it. I am sure white will be thrown in as part of a deal anyway, but obviously leaves less negotiation for other discounts.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Cuprabob wrote:I love red cars and have owned a few over the years but for some reason that I can't explain I don't like the red on the Scirocco.
I think the shade of red isn't as bright as others in the VW range. Polos suit Flash red, Golfs suit Tornado red, both very bright shades, Salsa isn't bright enough IMO. Scirocco is a fussy car for colour, it's shape seems to suit some colours better than others.

There are a lot of metallic browns about at the moment - I think this is a trend colour and will fall out of favour hard.

I'd be interested to know if White is as popular when you have to pay for it.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Maisbitt - I happen to agree with you there - Salsa Red is a slightly dull shade compared to Tornado Red which is super bright! I think most agree that white suits the car (yes I also think it is very colour sensitive) and white will still represent better value than spending almost £500 for metallics. Indeed the only remaing 'free' option is red. I think VW should put an end to these silly paint charges, particularly now with a car in their range with only one premium free colour - they do not do it in the US.
mikezero
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: 19" Talladega, Leather Interior, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Xenons, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, MIBII, Pana Sunroof, Park Assist, Winter Pack, DCC, RV Camera, Rear 90% tint, Car Net, Voice Activation.

Post by mikezero »

The £200 cost option for white is now listed on the configurator when one is building a new Roc.
b0rk
With a: DSG box
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

The problem with Salsa red is goes very flat with traffic grime requiring washing and polishing very regularly. The red that really suits the rocco is fire spark metallic if only VW would put it into production. Image

VW flat/standard paints do have a clear coat. However with standard paint you buy the much cheaper "pen" which is base colour only or the more paint expensive kit that include liquid base and liquid clear coat.
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

maisbitt wrote: I think the shade of red isn't as bright as others in the VW range. Polos suit Flash red, Golfs suit Tornado red, both very bright shades, Salsa isn't bright enough IMO. Scirocco is a fussy car for colour, it's shape seems to suit some colours better than others.
That is definitely true but it does seem to suit white best - which is why VW always used white in the advertising blurb.
I don't hold with those that say white loses value because its too common. Everyone agrees that off beat colours like Viper are less wanted and harder to sell so common colours should be easier to sell. In any event across the car market generally silver / grey cars are by far the most common. And if the best sellers are neither odd nor common colours then what is? Seemingly not middle of the road colours either like blue :shrug:
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

White was holding its value better than any other colour according to one survey Last month
Still going strong =)
PaulGL79
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 18 inch interlargos wheels, DAB Radio

Post by PaulGL79 »

Little bit of a sneeky way to make a few more quid without increasing the list price, I think many other manufactures now charge for white as its popularity has taken off. Reds the only no cost option, must admit I did consider ordering my roc in the salsa as ive had quite a few red cars in the past. The salsa suits the roc better when its pristine clean, my worries would of been paint fade if I didn't keep on top of the polishing I know the old Mk2 Golfs and Polos often faded to pink.