New personal lease Scirocco R coming late Feb/ early March

Everything about the R for potential owners.
Needajobby
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: Metallic grey

Re: New personal lease Scirocco R coming late Feb/ early Mar

Post by Needajobby »

I'm going to wait as the exhaust is already quite loud. It's likely to get louder after a few k miles so I'll wait until then. Seems like a piece of cake to do. Be good to hear your thoughts if you go for it sooner.
123hjms
In: Pure White

Post by 123hjms »

Needajobby wrote:I'm going to wait as the exhaust is already quite loud. It's likely to get louder after a few k miles so I'll wait until then. Seems like a piece of cake to do. Be good to hear your thoughts if you go for it sooner.
Have you seen a guide anywhere yet mate? I've searched and saw a few threads but none will any actual guides

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Needajobby

Post by Needajobby »

Try this thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=21254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
123hjms

Post by 123hjms »

Needajobby wrote:Try this thread http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=21254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks pal, I wanted to avoid the cable tie method incase the hose split as it could throw up errors due to the solenoid.

GavP
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

New personal lease Scirocco R coming late Feb/ early March

Post by GavP »

Also a new lease here, Golf R collected and Scirocco R delivered yesterday.
10k and £290 ish all in no deposit so a bit cheaper than the Golf was, both manual. Golf had winter pack and advanced phone, Scirocco no options apart from white.
Dash cam fitted this morning.
123hjms

Post by 123hjms »

GavP wrote:Also a new lease here, Golf R collected and Scirocco R delivered yesterday.
10k and £290 ish all in no deposit so a bit cheaper than the Golf was, both manual. Golf had winter pack and advanced phone, Scirocco no options apart from white.
What are your thoughts on the scirocco vs golf? Performance and just general stuff like inferior?

hilder
In: Urano Grey

Post by hilder »

Few more pics of mine, amazing how different the colour looks depending on sunlight. Some pics from 8am on a dull morning, others around 1pm the same day when the sun came out.

whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

That looks really nice!!
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Agreed - that does look great. Indeed- amazing the colour difference, the first early morning picture you would definitely think it is black, and it is not until the sun shines on it that you see the true 'Urano Grey' showing through!
GavP

Post by GavP »

123hjms wrote:
GavP wrote:Also a new lease here, Golf R collected and Scirocco R delivered yesterday.
What are your thoughts on the scirocco vs golf? Performance and just general stuff like inferior?

Early days yet as only 300 miles in but:

Scirocco engine more raw in a good way. Can feel the boost coming and sounds like it's powerful. Golf synthetic sounds is poor by comparison and unless in race mode could be in anything smooth and refined.

Ride in the Scirocco way better than expected and better than Golf, suspect crap Bridgestones on Golf vs Pirelli is most to blame for this but considering Rocco on 19s is a real nice surprise. Not sat in/driven either before ordering, always a risk but not so much with cars of this level.

Interior feels small but that's expected, definitely not a regular family car but that's not a problem in our house.
Boot is a good size, better than a 4wd Golf.
Quality wise very similar, seats feel similar, prefer Golf alcantara but the leather is ok too.

Interior tech, similar though Golf didn't have sat nav it did do much more via the head unit rather than the mfd as on the Rocco.

Things we'll miss:
Cruise control, although the active control took some getting used to it is good.
Folding mirrors, make it easier to get in and out of the garage.

Overall so far very happy, vehicle number 73 in the list of owned/leased has made a promising start.
Needajobby

Post by Needajobby »

I think the 'Roc feels heavier than the Golf. Turbo lag more noticeable in the scirocco (though golf is mapped) and 'roc does sound better. Much deeper exhaust note and authentic sounding compared to golf. I also find the gearbox hunts down sixth gear too quickly with DSG often hitting 6th at 40 mph! Grip is also better in the golf but not really thrown the 'roc around yet as only had it 1 week. Overall, bigger difference than I would have thought between the two very similar cars, some good, some not. MIB2 is a big step up compared to MIB1 in the golf so depends what you compare. I like the scirocco, I love the golf.
123hjms

Post by 123hjms »

Interesting thoughts guys. Peak torque on the roc is 2500 revs compared to 1000 odd on the golf will deffo make the roc feel more laggy. I don't mind the eco shifts in drive lower down in the gears but often find the engine labouring in 5th/6th especially with bills! I haven't had any hesitation like people say they get when pulling paddles for downshifts which is good! Even in drive if I pull the left paddle it'll drop instantly. Overall I'm very happy, feels like a barge compared to the fiesta lol. Did the flapper mod today and it's given the car even more of a burble lower down in the rev range. Only did one journey but there is a small amount of drone around cruising speeds which doesn't bother me but worth noting if you fancy doing it.

ChetRocco
In: Indium Grey
Options: Stock

Post by ChetRocco »

Great feedback, and would agree with most of this. I was expecting to miss the golf more than I do, but The scirocco has been impressive. Things I would improve are the lag off the line, it really does take a good second to fill its lungs, and a quicker steering rack, it really does reduce the sense of nimbleness. Saying that, I have started to push it, and it handles far better than you would initially expect, also noticed the DCC firming things up in comfort once it detects higher cornering loads.

123hjms, how did you do the flapper mod?, can you access the hose without jacking up?, also at what cruising speeds do you find it drones?
hilder
In: Urano Grey

Post by hilder »

I've also done the flapper mod. Done it on the ramp at work but you could probably access it by laying on the floor.

I agree it does drone more at 70/80 ish. As obviously from standard the exhaust would normally be shut at these speeds in 6th.

Video of a few revs in mine. Sounds much better imo.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChetRocco
In: Indium Grey
Options: Stock

Post by ChetRocco »

Just did the flapper mod too, and definitely sounds louder at low revs, super easy to do, no jacks or ramps needed, just pull the hose from the black housing next to the left tailpipe and blank with a screw or similar, didn't get to test the drone at cruising speed, but if it's a bit much it's a 30sec job to plug in again!

I unplugged from here in case it helps anyone

https://ibb.co/dVbBVa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/hSFS3v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
123hjms

Post by 123hjms »

ChetRocco wrote:Just did the flapper mod too, and definitely sounds louder at low revs, super easy to do, no jacks or ramps needed, just pull the hose from the black housing next to the left tailpipe and blank with a screw or similar, didn't get to test the drone at cruising speed, but if it's a bit much it's a 30sec job to plug in again!

I unplugged from here in case it helps anyone

https://ibb.co/dVbBVa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/hSFS3v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly what I did, but I pulled my valve part off its bracket and couldn't get the metal cover back on which you can see in the 1st photo, it's off now and hopefully wont do much harm.

Needajobby

Post by Needajobby »

Anyone else finding their R jerky / hesitant when pushing it hard? Power delivery is far from linear as it goes through the gears (DSG). Seems all over the place.
123hjms

Post by 123hjms »

Needajobby wrote:Anyone else finding their R jerky / hesitant when pushing it hard? Power delivery is far from linear as it goes through the gears (DSG). Seems all over the place.
Are you sure you're not hitting the kickdown switch when going full throttle?

Needajobby

Post by Needajobby »

No, but I have noticed that it only happens when the DSG is not in sport. In sport mode it's fine. There must be a really big flat spot on the power curve but reluctant to put on rollers as its a lease.