Speech button on steering wheel

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
dstill
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic sunroof
19 inch Lugano black alloys/pack
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

Hi, i have a 2012 Scirocco 170 GT and wondered if the speech button on the steering wheel is working. When i press it the RCD 510 is muted for a few seconds and that is all the button seems to do.

Is there something i need to add or recode as i'm very much a virgin owner so know little about the car and cannot find anything pertaining to this issue in the manual.

Thanks in advance. :)
GiannisA
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Sport & Style Package , Bi-Xenon , PLB , Car Alarm PLUS , Cruise Control , Park Pilot & Rear View Camera , Bluetooth , Color MFD, RNS-510.

Re: Speech button on steering wheel

Post by GiannisA »

The speech button is used for the voice command function of the RNS 510.
In your case that you have RCD 510 installed, it is used to mute it.
mat
In: Deep Black
Options: iPhone mount, red footwell lights, led numberplate lights, p-torque tuning (212bhp), Flux lights, Alloy pedals, iPhone mount, Factory bluetooth retrofit, vag-com, Tracker + 3G CCTV

Post by mat »

If you get the vw Bluetooth kit, it'll work then.
dstill
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

Thanks mat. I do have the factory fitted Bluetooth, its standard on the GT model but it only mutes the sound. Do you have a RCD or an RNS unit?

It sounds like (as GiannisA mentions) that it only works with the RNS unit, could anyone else confirm this who only has the RCD 510 please?
GiannisA
Options: Sport & Style Package , Bi-Xenon , PLB , Car Alarm PLUS , Cruise Control , Park Pilot & Rear View Camera , Bluetooth , Color MFD, RNS-510.

Post by GiannisA »

i am sure about my previous post.
When i bought my car , it had RCD factory fitted and speech button only muted the sound.
Then i upgraded it with RNS and now i use the button to activate the voice commands function. :yes:
thecrofter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Post by thecrofter »

I have the RCD510 with rsap bluetooth and voice activated dialling works fine. Don't remember having to do anything to enable the button just record the names.
2.0 TSi 280 R DSG Rising Blue / April 15 - 11 March 20
2.0 TDi 170 DSG R-Line Indium Grey / June 12 - April 15
2.0 GT TDi 170 DSG Salsa Red / May 10 - June 12
dstill
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

thecrofter wrote:I have the RCD510 with rsap bluetooth and voice activated dialling works fine. Don't remember having to do anything to enable the button just record the names.
Can you see text messages on your RCD 510 or on the MFD, i cannot see them at all which makes me think i need a higher spec module.

What year is your car? You would'nt be able to tell me what the part number is on your bluetooth module under the drivers seat would you? :)
Trickytree1984
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Folding Mirrors
Parking sensors
DAB
Winter Pack
Cruise Control
Colour MFD
Dynaudio
Phone Prep

Post by Trickytree1984 »

The button doesn't voice dial on the rcd510
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

I have the RNS 315 in a GT and the button only mutes the sound for me. Looking in the handbook it reads like it should activate the voice command. Is this something that should have been enabled via Vag Com?
GiannisA

Post by GiannisA »

Try to make some changes with VCDS

• Address 56 – Coding - Byte 07 – Bit 1 : de-select “Voice control inactive”

• Address 16 – Coding - Byte 01 – Bit 3 : select “Multi function steering wheel with push to talk button installed”

The above settings are for RNS 510, but you can try them to 315.

In RNS 510 apart from bluetooth voice command, the following components can be controlled through speech: Radio, CD & Navigation, but you must first route the cable from the microphone to the RNS 510 and from the RNS 510 to the bluetooth instead of running it from the microphone directly to the bluetooth unit.
Last edited by GiannisA on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mat
Options: iPhone mount, red footwell lights, led numberplate lights, p-torque tuning (212bhp), Flux lights, Alloy pedals, iPhone mount, Factory bluetooth retrofit, vag-com, Tracker + 3G CCTV

Post by mat »

Sorry - not been around for a couple of days....

I've got this module: 7P6035730G

RCD 510 head-unit.

You need to set the VCDS settings as shown before, then voice-control will work ok.

(I had to try a combination of settings, I'll report back what I've got set later, as I need to change something tonight)
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

Does anything work on a VW without having to use Vagcom ;).
mat

Post by mat »

Garry74 wrote:Does anything work on a VW without having to use Vagcom ;).

Erm... The engine, gears, brakes and gas pedal!!!
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

But not without activating them on VAGCOM before leaving the garage :).

Just been to VW and they looked at some list of all the equipment my car has on it. The RNS 315 was on there but no mention of the voice control. The tech said if it is not on there then it does not have it. He said the only way to definately make sure is to connect it up to the computer and that even if the handbook says it has it, then that does not necessarily mean it has it.

As far as I'm concerned the handbook for the RNS315 says it should have it, so it should be there. The button is configured as a mute button, so it must be a software problem.

I can see me buying VAGCOM, any where to get it at a discount?
thecrofter
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Post by thecrofter »

dstill wrote:
thecrofter wrote:I have the RCD510 with rsap bluetooth and voice activated dialling works fine. Don't remember having to do anything to enable the button just record the names.
Can you see text messages on your RCD 510 or on the MFD, i cannot see them at all which makes me think i need a higher spec module.

What year is your car? You would'nt be able to tell me what the part number is on your bluetooth module under the drivers seat would you? :)
Mine is a 2010 model - ordered January delivered April 10. Text messages appear on the MFD. I'll have a look at the module when I can for the part number but I can assure you that despite what peeps say in response there was no need for Vagcom to get the voice dialling working on mine. RTFM!
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

I take it you have the little microphone symbol on your radio as a button? On mine where the mic button should be on the RNS screen there is just a blank button. I think mine has just not been activated as its an upgrade.
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

I've spoken to VW and the RNS315 does not come with voice control even though its in the manual. They also do not recommend using Vagcom to change it. The RNS 510 does have it.

I think i'll have to bite the bullet and buy Vagcom.
Garry74

Post by Garry74 »

Anyone sussed out how to activate the voice commands on vagcom for the RNS 315?
thecrofter

Post by thecrofter »

Garry74 wrote:Anyone sussed out how to activate the voice commands on vagcom for the RNS 315?
Bump

I'd also be intersted if anyone has accomplished this. Coming from a GT with RCD510 that had this function to now not have it is a retrograde step.
dstill
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

For people who cannot get voice activation to work (who have retrofitted an RNS and already had factory fitted bluetooth) is it a matter of routing the cable from the microphone to the RNS then to the bluetooth module.

I have heard that the microphone is connected directly to the bluetooth module if no RNS is fitted as standard. If so can anyone provide a step by step guide how to rearrange the cabling please?