Water laying in the petrol filler sump

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
buster
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: chrome exhaust tips, chrome sill protecters, over carpets.

Post by buster »

:( A problem has just become a must fix now.i have searched but can not find any topic on it. do others suffer from water laying in the petrol filler sump drain. i have tried to clear the drain pipe but dont want to cause any damage before calling in the problem at the dealers. this has been there since new in july and i just brush it out. but having about 1/2- 3/4 inc of water floating about there seems a bit wrong to me.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Water laying in the petrol filler sump

Post by RW1 »

I just push some bendy wire through the small hole a short distance, ie. 1cm. What is behind is a wider rubber tube extension of the rubber surround to the tank filler pipe. As long as the wire will bend easily, it wont do much harm.

Its just a small plastic plug seated in the rubber which has a central hole in it. The hole is about 5mm deep and then goes into a much wider tube, the diameter of the plastic plug.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
buster

Post by buster »

cheers RW1 for getting back so quick tried it but my bit of bendy wire was to short at about 7 inches, ill have to try and sort out some a bit longer just may be frozen at the moment though. regards buster
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The tube beyond the plug you can see in the filler cap/rubber comes out in the rear wheel arch wall, forward of the rear righthand shock and slightly more inboard. Its a clear tube at that point.

You will need to take off the wheel & tyre to really get at it. And I seem to remember it runs inbetween the fibre wheel arch liner and the body work (hidden) when above the tyre area.

Like you say, could be plugged with ice but if it is, there is an underlying blockage that has stopped it draining (dirt or the clear tube is pinched). Water should flush straight out leaving the tube dry (and therefore not freezing). Mine makes a sucking noise in the small plastic plug hole in the filler area as it completes its drainage.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
capster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Too many to list here, but everyone is a good un!!!!!

Post by capster »

Must admit I have the same problem, so thanks for that RW1 :)
buster

Post by buster »

RW1
from what you say i think ill get on to the dealer when it warms up a bit, as this has been like this from new, as you say may be kinked or another fault. its a motability car so i am restricted to what i can do myself. even removing a wheel. means a trip to quick fit. so thank you for being so helpful, and steering me in the right direction. regards buster :yes:
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes realised your circumstances but not precisely, so not sure what you could do yourself. If since new, then it suggests a kink. Its only silicon tubing like in B&Q, so can easily collapse if not fitted correctly
Petrol Filler Drain.JPG
This is where it comes out, clipped to the petrol filler downpipe into the petrol tank (red arrow)

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
a4gee
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

Have you stripped your car and rebuilt it? :) You know a lot :nod: :yes:
langley182

Post by langley182 »

Hose / pressure washer. Give it a blast down the hole.
silver130
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

My 1st Scirocco did this regularly. I just used to pudge around the bung hole a bit with my finger and hey presto the bit of crap that had blocked it would shift and all the water would drain away. Not had the problem once on my new one though :shrug:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Babajang
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by Babajang »

Would it be obvious if i had this problem???? i.e would i notice anything wrong with the way my car works??? i dont really understand what you guys are talking about tbh, but would want to see if i have the same problem!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Babajang wrote:Would it be obvious if i had this problem???? i.e would i notice anything wrong with the way my car works??? i dont really understand what you guys are talking about tbh, but would want to see if i have the same problem!
You would have a small pool of water below the filler pipe inside the fuel flap area if its blocked after washing the Scirocco (or when it rains).

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Babajang

Post by Babajang »

I Do have a puddle in there!!!!! time to try and do what you lot have been doing!
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I ain't proud of this, but I have no idea what is going on here. It's people like me that keep dealers in business. lol.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Shame on you Ryy.
Just don't make the mistake of trying to put the fuel pump nozzle down it. Thats the big one above it under the twist off cap. :lol:
Fuel Filler Area Drain Hole.JPG
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

lol. I ain't that thick. I've never even seen that though. My cap doesn't get full of water, so hopefully no issue!
Riad
In: Deep Black

Post by Riad »

I give mine a jet wash every time i clean the car dunno if its makes a difference!
buster

Post by buster »

:clap: PROBLEM NOW SORTED SINCE WHOLE PIPE CLEANED THROUGH THANKS :clap:
Macman
In: Rising Blue

Post by Macman »

Useful thanks to the late Chris!
I got odd looks when I had to scoop out all the water at the pump.
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Get some Mr Muscle down it :D
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available