Lights off at the switch but still on?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RJM85
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: 19inch Lugano's, Winter Pack, Protection Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs

Lights off at the switch but still on?

Post by RJM85 »

So im confused, since I picked up the car the lights have been set to "auto" but they always seem to be on regardless of day or night (dipped beam - not the little driving lights next to the indicators). So I turned the switch to off, yet the lights stay on. The only thing that turns off is the lighting in the dashboard. Is this normal?

Cheers! :yes:
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Lights off at the switch but still on?

Post by Deacon »

Yep. It's because they act as drl's and so are on all the time.
playing in my '86
RJM85
Options: 19inch Lugano's, Winter Pack, Protection Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs

Post by RJM85 »

DRLs? Also, why have an off position? :shrug:
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

DRLs - Day Running Lights. The switch has an off because cars with Xenons can switch the lights fully off
RJM85

Post by RJM85 »

Cuprabob wrote:DRLs - Day Running Lights. The switch has an off because cars with Xenons can switch the lights fully off
Thanks mate. So why do they bother with the little lights next to the indicators if they just leave the headlights on full time? Sorry for 101 questions! :)
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

RJM85 wrote:
Cuprabob wrote:DRLs - Day Running Lights. The switch has an off because cars with Xenons can switch the lights fully off
Thanks mate. So why do they bother with the little lights next to the indicators if they just leave the headlights on full time? Sorry for 101 questions! :)
I'm pretty sure if you turn your headlight switch one click clockwise to the sidelight setting you can switch the headlights off and just have small sidelights on. Certainly the case with mine.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Had mine turned off using vagcom. Have a look in roccopedia as there was a way to turn off some build years without vagcom
playing in my '86
selleym
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Means you can drive with the lights on but pitch black in the cabin! well except the MFD!
Only if I had VCDS to put MPH in the MFD I could drive with the lights off haha!
robb
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Post by robb »

yeah i had mine turned off via vagcom as a lot of other motorists were flashing at me in the day like the lights weren't supposed to be on aha, i guess it lengthens the life of bulbs too if they're off sometimes