What engine would you have?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Re: What engine would you have?

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yes it's mainly short. As I work all week and hardly have spare time to go anywhere. And i only live 5 miles away from work. Just I fancy a diesel for the torque and resell vaules would be good wouldn't it? And dad thinks diesels are better
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Tallguy

Post by Tallguy »

If you are very low mileage don't even think about it - go for petrol! There won't be much difference in re-sale values after say 3 years.
yaroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, DAB ,Mats

Post by yaroc »

As said above, get a petrol, your'e not doing enough miles to keep a DPF clean.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

yaroc wrote:As said above, get a petrol, your'e not doing enough miles to keep a DPF clean.
Unless your prepared to do a good hour's 50 mph+ driving on the weekend a diesel engine will suffer from short trips with the DPF becoming problematic.
ArgyleMatt
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue

Post by ArgyleMatt »

Have driven a 140 tdi for just under 3 years and done 50k miles and it has excelled but if it's fun you're looking for then, in my opinion, petrol is the one for me!

M@
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Post by sciroccorocket »

if you have the Money get an R
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

That's the thing I don't :(. If I had the money I wouldn't be asking what engine to get , I'd get a R hands down :)
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Post by sciroccorocket »

i dont do too many miles so i can run the R but if i was doing a high mileage i would go for one of the Diesels
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I don't do high miles either, but still can't afford R in 1st place.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

you clearly say you don't do many miles at all & that you are young so insurance is clearly a factor. if you are not going to do long motorway runs on a reasonably regular basis to ensure the dpf stays clear that leaves you with the option of: petrol (& as stated not an R due to costs).

also do you mean 2nd hand?
Drive_with_Style wrote:Not in situation I can buy one right now but I'll be buying a 2nd roc soon
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Yes I meant 2nd hand :). Petrol it's going to be then I guess. My knowledge on engines etc isn't great so don't surpose you could explain what Dpf is? Also hi trix :)
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

:)
the dpf is the diesel particulate filter which removes the soot particles from the exhaust gases http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Thanks for clearing that up. Could of just googled it my self, Ah well
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

One of my friends has a 1.6TDI (105PS?) Ibiza and that has the DPF - her journey to work is probably less than 5 miles each way and whilst she says she wouldn't buy another diesel with a DPF, all it needs is a clear out every so often - when the light comes on which for her is about weekly. It's only if you don't then give the car a run to clear the DPF and let it build up that it would become an issue.

I remember the days when we had an easy choice to make - the 140 (believe it was still PD at the time) engine didn't have a DPF, the 170 did. 140 it was then.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

My journey is 5 miles each way so 10 miles daily. Now and again ill have chance to go on a 30-40 mile little trip.Heck I don't know what I'm going to get, all I know is that it's definitely a scirocco I want.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Very short commutes (less than 5 miles each way) on slow roads are inviting DPF trouble with a TDI so make sure it gets a run on the motorway for 10 mins a few times a week to burn off the collected soot. Between the TDIs the 170 is worth every penny of the £765 premium over a 140TDI GT (it's a bit more of a gap if you weren't intending getting a GT). If you're doing low mileages then a TDI doesn't make sense over a petrol variant unless you prefer the driving style of a diesel ( I personally prefer having loads of torque for overtaking rather than having slightly better acceleration from a static start, and quieter at cruising speed because it's only doing 2000rpm at 75mph).

170 vs 140: Far better power delivery in the upper gears, massively better engine note. I've had both variants as I bought my first Roc before the 170TDI was out. The 140 is good if you're a diesel driver who hasn't driven the 170 yet, but once you've driven one you won't want to settle for the 140 unless there are insurance/money/company car (you lucky sods!) restraints. Economy wise I average about 49mpg (indicated - about 45mpg in reality) compared with about 52mpg in the 140 when I had it. Although my best ever economy for a long trip was 59mpg for a 350 mile journey maintaining 75mpg, with the aircon on (in the 140).

You might be in for a shock when you first get your 170 though. For the first few hundred miles it didn't feel much more powerful than a 140 - these are really tight from the factory, almost as if there is some software retardation going on while it's running in. After 300 miles it was like a different car, and has a very deep roar about it when you accelerate (the 140 doesn't sound like this, not sure why).
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
sean28uk
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: bluetooth telephone kit, multi function steering wheel, 18 inch wheels, nicer mats

Post by sean28uk »

I am biased I guess, but I did drive the 140, 170 and the petrol 160 before choosing my Roc

I do around 12000 miles per annum, and wanted a car for short journeys with a couple of runs every week. My previous car was a Civic Tyrpe R GT.

The 160 just felt like a better deal on price overall as it was a non GT, but I find it great for my use and well equipped. A small extra but the multi function steering wheel makes the interior feel very different to standard imo. Performance wise I found them all good tbh, but did not justify the 170 on cost difference for what i wanted.

Sorry I am not a techi but am just offering my experience when I chose my car, hope this helps.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure the diesels are holding their value a little better than the petrols right now so you will get more for your money if you go petrol.
You will probably loose out a bit when it comes to resale too but depreciation is going to hurt either way!

My choice for low miles and low cost would be the petrol.
jimma1983
In: Indium Grey
Options: DAB tuner, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Smoking Pack

Post by jimma1983 »

maisbitt wrote: You might be in for a shock when you first get your 170 though. For the first few hundred miles it didn't feel much more powerful than a 140 - these are really tight from the factory, almost as if there is some software retardation going on while it's running in. After 300 miles it was like a different car, and has a very deep roar about it when you accelerate (the 140 doesn't sound like this, not sure why).
I have definitely noticed an increase in performance of my 170TDI over the last few hundred miles. I have now reached just over 800 miles and the car feels so much more powerful then it did when I first had it.
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Friend from work has got a golf 2.0 gt tdi 170 Dpf. Now I asked him if he has had any trouble with the Dpf. He said no and he drives about 2 mile to work each way. And like me goes on 30 mile plus trips now and again.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)