170 TDI, the good and the bad...opinions wanted

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
metaljay
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2+ Revo ;)

Re: 170 TDI, the good and the bad...opinions wanted

Post by metaljay »

why not save yourself the money and get a 140 and remap it lol?
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Metaljay: Old topic, I know - but for the sake of others looking at this thread for a decision making process in the future......in the UK you'll pay a lot more for remapping than paying the difference between a 140GT and a 170 GT. Probably £100-150 a year on your insurance for the privilege of running a remap if you have a decent level of no-claims and the £350-400 cost of the remap itself vs £760 list price difference for the 170, you'll get 1/2 of that back at trade-in in 3 years (the 170 will be worth more than a 140GT), and minimal increase in your insurance (£15 a year extra over my old 140).

Then there is the exhaust note - the 170 has a great roar when accelerating through the gears that is completely different to the 140. I've had both and the cost difference between the 2 is worth every penny.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Johlsson
In: Viper Green
Options: * Premium Package
* Sports Package
* Titan Black (Catch up)
* Interlagos 8x18
* DynAudio
* Climatronic

Post by Johlsson »

maisbitt wrote:Then there is the exhaust note - the 170 has a great roar when accelerating through the gears that is completely different to the 140. I've had both and the cost difference between the 2 is worth every penny.
This sounds promising, I have yet not heard the 170 TDI, not even driven it, I have driven the similar engine in the Passats and such, but when I was to order my car they could not get a Scirocco with that engine for me to test out, and the exhaust sound is one of the things I have wondered about. =)
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

maisbitt wrote:in the UK you'll pay a lot more for remapping than paying the difference between a 140GT and a 170 GT. Probably £100-150 a year on your insurance for the privilege of running a remap .
That seems like a very conservative insurance estimate. When I had my old octavia mapped most insurance companies wouldn't insure it at all, my premium with Admiral went up over £200 which was much cheaper than many.
maisbitt wrote:Then there is the exhaust note - the 170 has a great roar when accelerating through the gears that is completely different to the 140. I've had both and the cost difference between the 2 is worth every penny.
Agreed, Exhaust note is pretty good for a diesel :yes: :nod:
mortc002
In: Night Blue
Options: Dynaudio Pack, DAB, Blutooth & Parking Sensors
https://twitter.com/#!/TilehurstTech

Post by mortc002 »

Since I had my care deliver about 3 months ago I have been very quiet on the forum (following 9 months of daily posts during the wait.)
I wanted to weigh in on the whole 170 vs remap vs petrol.
First thing long journeys Doing 65 up hill on motorways, 70 on flats, 80 downhill (plus the odd overtake here and there) I manage to get 55MPG
That works out as 1/4 tank for roughly 185 miles costing £17.50 (ish)
The car does not feel slow and really has the power at the top end. Yes I miss the high revs of a petrol engine ever so slightly,
I would recommend the revo as I have driven a car with it, the reason I haven't is the car is costing my 380 per month for 2 years on contract hire and I am not feeling to throw another £500 on a car I will never keep.
Insurance came out cheaper , like 300 a year cheaper than the 1.4 for me (as racers don't but diesels according to the chap at Admiral) although this may be different for others.
I am going to put a post about dynaudio elsewhere but feel free to reply with any questions
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

We went away from a couple of days to Tenby, my wife driving most of the way. We stopped in a lay-by and I took over the driving. Having to pull out onto a very busy dual carriageway I just floored it. It is getting quick, I had to back off to stop going over the top of the car which had just passed the lay-by. :eyepop:
gerz87

Post by gerz87 »

I am not yet a rocco owner but when I do the only car that I'm interested in is the 170 TDI. I am finding the info on this discussion really helpful and informative. I am very interested in the exhaust note does anyone know if there is a video or sound clip of it I cant seem to find it on youtube.
mortc002
In: Night Blue
Options: Dynaudio Pack, DAB, Blutooth & Parking Sensors
https://twitter.com/#!/TilehurstTech

Post by mortc002 »

gerz87 wrote:I am not yet a rocco owner but when I do the only car that I'm interested in is the 170 TDI. I am finding the info on this discussion really helpful and informative. I am very interested in the exhaust note does anyone know if there is a video or sound clip of it I cant seem to find it on youtube.
I Dont have a video or clip but it sounds good for a dielse, e.g not comparable to petrol equivilent.
However if it is that important then an aftermarket k&/n and/or exhast will soon sort that out!
gerz87

Post by gerz87 »

I cant wait when I get a rocco its such a beautiful looking car a real head turner!
They are becoming more common where i live i have seen quite a few recently