Is the DSG classed as a full automatic?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Is the DSG classed as a full automatic?

Post by Ian_Mac »

Just a quick one here, I'm wondering if the DSG would be classed as an automatic from an insurance point of view? Also for someone with an auto only driving licence would they be covered driving a DSG Rocco?

Speaking to one insurance company this morning with regard to my renewal they class the DSG as a manual for insurance purposes.
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Is the DSG classed as a full automatic?

Post by Cuprabob »

It's classed as a Semi-Automatic in the V5
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

Cuprabob wrote:It's classed as a Semi-Automatic in the V5
That's the problem, all the online quote sites only give an option of manual or auto. Depending which site I use entering the reg number my car comes up as both hence me ringing 1 insurer up.

There is also a difference in price between manual and auto so this makes a difference as well (not that VW do a full auto anyway).

Should the worst happen and I have a bump I imagine that's one of the first things an assessor would pick up on. :shrug:
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

It is the clutch pedal that is the difference between the two categories. The DSG has no clutch pedal and is therefore in the 'automatic' category for the driving licence. This is taken from the DVLA site:

SEMI-AUTOMATIC SYSTEMS
With these the driver has to select the gear required by movement of the gear lever as with a manually controlled gearbox, but there is no clutch pedal. For driving test and licensing purposes these vehicles are regarded as automatics.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

no clutch peddle (foot or hand operated) = Automatic.

At least thats what I understand
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with auto like last year. Bloody insurance companies trying to confuse me!
jammyd
In: Rising Blue
Options: Bluetooth, Cruise Control... and a button in the roof which does not do anything! oh and I have just found I have TPMS which I did not order!

Post by jammyd »

I had this discussion with my insurer when I got mine and they said it was a Manual, after quoting the same bit above, they changed to Auto, but it shows that insurers seem to know nothing about the cars that they insure!

2011 Rising Blue 170GT TDI DSG (its on my drive!)
2010 Candy White Roc Now Gone :(
2008 Meteor Grey TT TDI
2005 Deep Blue Golf GT TDI
The Cars before do not matter!
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

I spoke to 2 different people at the same firm this morning and they both said different things!

:rage:
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

I Did my policy on line and when i put my reg in it came back as a Scirocco R with DSG so i just clicked accept :-)