Time to sell...

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
smithy1311
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control;
Flat Tyre indicator

Time to sell...

Post by smithy1311 »

A new arrival is going to force my hand soon and I'll be selling my beloved Scirocco in the next few months.

I've not sold a car privately before (always gone the easy route and part-ex'd), but given I have got a bit of time to play I thought I might try a private sale.

Has anyone got an any tips for finding private buyers efficiently, or does the obvious route (Auto Trader) actually generate genuine interest rather than canvassers and time wasters trying to get a stupidly cheap deal?

Cheers!
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: Time to sell...

Post by maisbitt »

Its always hard to sell a car privately over about 8 grand - people want the reassurance of a dealer or the ease of finance/part-ex when parting with big money for a nearly new car. It'll have to be considerably cheaper than the used forecourt of your dealership for a cash buyer to come along and give you more than part-ex money for it.

Best to post it for free on the forums for starters - people come here when researching their planned purchase and might be tempted by a bargain. You can try autotrader et al but unless you're 2 or 3 grand cheaper than the cheapest main dealer used price you might not have many bites.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Grampa
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

The most expensive car I've sold privately was advertised at £10500 so no experience of selling something as pricey as a Scirocco, but when I have advertised on line, Autotrader produced zero serious interest and was an expensive place to advertise, whereas Ebay classifieds (i.e. you advertise the price rather than enter it in an auction) sold the car (a Megane 225) in two hours flat at the asking price. I've advertised two other cars on Autotrader and Ebay classifieds and each time it's the Ebay ad that's sold the car.
smithy1311
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control;
Flat Tyre indicator

Post by smithy1311 »

thanks -- I might have a go a private sale first and see how I get on.

If anyone's interested in haing a chat about my car (2010, pewter grey, GT, Petrol, DSG, 15k miles, cruise, flat tyre) .... PM me.
goatboy
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather!

Post by goatboy »

Try pistonheads too, free and it has quite a big readership
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

goatboy wrote:Try pistonheads too, free and it has quite a big readership
not free anymore unless you have been registered with PH forums since before 1st Jan 2009
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

never sold a car privately until my last A3, shoved in it Autotrader and didn't get a great response but sold for £1,500 more than dealer wanted to give me, £99 hire car for a week till the roc arrived and job done, the roc will be going the at/ph route with a px as a last resort
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
mrtrendvampire

Post by mrtrendvampire »

has it got leather>
i might be intested!
harryc
In: Indium Grey

Post by harryc »

Good pictures = good advert. Get a good quality camera that does the car justice and people will want to view it over other cars with rubbish thumbnail pics. Forums are always good, I always search the enthusiast forums when buying a car as they are usually well looked after and have documented history on the forum.
2.0 GT Revo Stg 1 remap
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Just sold mine via autotrader. Much as the guys have already said but do a proper valuation on parkers or similar. Include your options and mileage to get an accurate valuation. Checkout the competition and be realistic with the pricing. If you're not in a rush try starting high with the price (don't go silly), go for one of the longer web packages on autotrader and reduce the car weekly if interest is slow. This will be more cost effective than having to renew your advert after a couple of weeks.

Or based on your valuations and the competition price it keen and sell it quick.

Good luck!
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
ArgyleMatt
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue

Post by ArgyleMatt »

No, no, no, have two kids, and when i got my roc they were 3, and 6 mths! The roc happily took us to where ever we wanted with a weekends luggage. Answer is....don't sell it!

M@
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

My two grandsons, 11 and 7 years, think the Roc is brilliant. They prefer it to their other grandad's Ferrari 360, perhaps it's because they are allowed in the Roc but not in the 360.