Design foibles

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
morrissey
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Golf R, 3 door, manual, leather, sunroof, 19" alloys, ACC, cruise, comfort and storage packs

Design foibles

Post by morrissey »

You know how you only really get to understand the shape of a car when you wash it..

The bit I'm not so keen on is the rear bumper - in particular the number plate surround and that lip which traps water.

Very minor points I know - but they could have designed out those bits if you ask me - anybody agree / disagree or have their own thoughts?

(I also don't like the black plastic door rubbing strip - I 'd have preferred something colour coded, which doesn't get covered in polish so easily)
adamj
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Re: Design foibles

Post by adamj »

Hello my fellow Pewter friend! :D :D

I totally agree on the side strips!

Not noticed the rear bumper problem yet.
JaseW
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

I agree there are a few design features which whilst they add to the car, make cleaning it a challenge :nod:

One of the ones that comes to mind in the A pillars. Where the windscreen meets the pillar there a approx 2cm gap between the glass and pillar. This means you can't get to it with your normal wash mit/sponge! I also agree about the rear bumper, but it's the corners where the number plate surround merges back into the bumper that prove to be awkward to clean for some reason :shrug:

on a non cleaning note, the rear visibility is known issue, and I've gottern used to that now.. but the A pillars are so thick, they obscure your vision when going round bends. I find myself leaning slightly to see sometimes.

Last one.. Is it me or does the interios seems to attract dust. I give the car a good clean every week, but by the end of the week, the interior looks like it's not been cleaned for a month? This isn't environment related as all my previous cars didn't suffer dust retention like this.
I luv Roc!
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

(I also don't like the black plastic door rubbing strip - I 'd have preferred something colour coded, which doesn't get covered in polish so easily)
Have you tried low tack detailing tape, you can get it from the detailing online stores. Use it like masking tape when applying polish, wax or glaze and it keeps the plastics free from these products. On another note, did you know peanut butter makes a very good plastic trim cleaner !!!!! :nod:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

noticed also, and was surprised by this, that the roof holds alot of water after rain, you get in drive off, and its like someones pouring a bucket over the rear windscreen, then you brake, and its a waterfall on the front, odd given the shape of the roof. Ditto on the pillars, they obscure vision but you learn to live with it.

But the main complaint is that visibility out of the rear window is limited to a certain distance behind you, thus you cannot see all the way back, so if your giving it some beans down the A1, you cant see the rozzers creeping up on you. :D
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Post by sir_rocco »

Albert,

simple answer.....drive faster so they can't catch you :lol:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Sir-Rocco, you've obviosly never hammered it down the A1 on a sunday morning, Durham police seem to appear out of thin air, in either their souped up BMW Tourer, or Volvo S60 T5, its all very well when you can see them comming, as i could in my GTI, and slow to a lawful speed, but with the roc im going to have to hunker down in my seat, 'gangster style' just to see into the distance!

On a lighter note, i cant believe how much attention the ROC gets! you all must have noticed it, everyone wants to know what it is / like / costs / etc.. im going to have to print information flyers and just hand them out!
rhcp128
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra

Post by rhcp128 »

About the rear view mirror and the distance. I had the same experience but after one month of adjusting the seat and mirror every which way I finally got it proper!!! No idea how but i can see till the horizon :clap:
JaseW
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

albertz33 wrote:Sir-Rocco, you've obviosly never hammered it down the A1 on a sunday morning, Durham police seem to appear out of thin air, in either their souped up BMW Tourer, or Volvo S60 T5, its all very well when you can see them comming, as i could in my GTI, and slow to a lawful speed, but with the roc im going to have to hunker down in my seat, 'gangster style' just to see into the distance!
Or an unmarked black A3 sportback, with a lady officer driving it, much to my surprise... :rolleyes:
I luv Roc!
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

What about the honeycomb grille at the front. it takes ages to try and dry each hole and the lower edge where it meets the painted section of the front bumper holds more water than a reservoir :cry: :cry: :cry:
And don't get me started on the door mirrors.. Where does that water keep coming from :mad: :mad: :mad:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Zarger
Options: Leather Seats
Parking Sensors
Winter Pack

Post by Zarger »

I hate to pick on such a beautiful car, but here are minor points ....

1. Think they should of played with the piano black finish more, lower front bumper, side mirrors, then chrome and silver touches on the dash and door interiors and if the side strip could only be black then there too.
2. More adjustable seats, as I have mine as low as it can go and due to my height I can only see the bonet of the car behind me out of the rear view mirror and my head is higher than the door window. I would have to lie right back to solve it.
3. Wish the front lower bumper had body colour seperation between the honeycombe and the fog lights section.
4. Angel eye lights like my old BMW would be cool.

POINTS I LOVE ........
1. The bumps on the spoiler.
2. The glass work on the doors to the rear window where they meet.
3. The windscreen seems to be sealed beneath the glass as opposed to the usual rubber edges normally done, makes it seem to float.
4. Looks like a Porsche at some angles at the back.
5. That noise it makes as the DSG changes gear, OH ...... MY ...... GOD !!!!!!
6. The amazing driving experience.
7. The standard options are very impressive.