Sealed Tyre Puncture

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
sunners
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

Sealed Tyre Puncture

Post by sunners »

Whilst cleaning the car yesterday I spotted a nail in the tyre although it had not lost any pressure . After speaking to the VW dealer they advised that they cannot repair it but must be replaced at a cost of £191 (cheapest after ringing round several garages). VW advised that there are only certain garages that can fit the self sealant tyres. I was wondering is this true are and there any other tyres any members would recommend as alternatives
Thanks
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Sealed Tyre Puncture

Post by Shaun »

Where is the nail on the tyre ?, I would never have a dealer change my tyres !, they charge far to much and by reading what they have told you tell a load of porkies too !
In the event of a puncture occuring within the BSAU 159 repair zone (the central 3/4 of the tread area), the viscous layer can be cut and peeled back to expose the damage. A traditional stem patch repair can be installed and the layer refitted over the repair zone. It must be stated that a further puncture in the same area would result in the subsequent scrapping of the tyre.
a4gee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

yeah kwik fit is better :hyper:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

5th Bullet point ... Self Seal Tyre FAQs

By that, besides it not being damaged due to running the tyre when flat etc., I read it as with a normal tyre repair rules and where the puncture hole is relative to either edge (which ever side is closest) of the tyre tread face. And it is definitely not through the sidewall.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!