RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Upgrade RNS 510 Firmware

Post by RW1 »

iain_magic wrote:I'm assuming a cheap eBay clone that claims it works with the Ross-Tech software is probably not a wise move?
You get what you pay for basically. As in other things in life. Your best bet is what you've just posted up about getting someone with VCDS to assist considering you only want to do a few things.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iain_magic
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box
Options: Navigation System, Parking Sensors, Sunroof, Black 18" Wheels, Leather

Post by iain_magic »

Yep, agreed - I think I'll try that. Thanks bud.
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

iain_magic wrote:Sand33p - just wondering if you had any luck with this in the end?

I'm new to this site, but I have a 58 plate Scrirocco 2.0 TSI GT and am trying to do exactly the same thing as you - I just wanrt to find out the RNS510 HW/FW version so I can upgrade the firmware (for things like SDHC support, and for better maps with 7-digit postcode entry etc). However, like you, the advanced stetup menu doesn't work, because this feature has not been enabled using a VAG COM thingy.

Did you ever find out what model of VAG COM (or VCDS) you need to do this? There seems to be quite a few on their website! I'm actually an electronic/firmware engineer so I'm slightly embarassed to ask, but I don't wanna buy the wrong one -they're expensive! Can anyone shed some light as to which type I want to be ordering (i.e. HEX-USB+CAN or MIcro-CAN or whatever)?

Alternatively, if anyone has one of these in the Guildford area and can help me enable this hidden setup menu with it, please let me know - I'll buy you a pint!

Thanks,
Iain.

Iain,

Sad to say, I've sort of given up for now. I took the rocco in to a VW dealership and they took it in to their garage and got one of their mechanics to take a look. They came back saying there were no updates available for the car and that there was nothing new to load. I don't really believe this to be the case since I do not have 7 digit post code entry and nor does my RNS 510 unit seem to like the 32GB SHDC card I splashed out on (even though my manual says it ought to work.)

I've got the impression from the posts so far that I should try to upgrade to 130X which is the latest and official firmware update and should be relatively low risk. However I'm too scared I will brick my unit.

I'm only in Heathrow, West London so let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

Sandeep
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have the same issue with mine being limited to 2GB, but don't let it waste your 32GB card.

Just connect it through a USB reader to your RNS so it goes through MEDIA-IN.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Mini-USB-C ... 35b3c72cd0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

99p for that, same as I have with my Micro SD card.

I do have an updated v7 maps, but not from a dealer if you get me. I have the offical 5.1 (I think) disc, so if v7 fails, I'll probably go an fall back and install the v5.x one I have.
iain_magic

Post by iain_magic »

Sandeep - thanks, seems we are in the exact same boat - I am a bit scared of upgrading the firmware without knowing what version I have etc, I don't wanna knacker the RNS! VW clearly didn't know what they were talking about then - there have been many firmware updates that support SDHC cards, bit annoying they don't seem to be given this information! Cheers bud, not far from me then, I will let you know.

Ryy - that is a pretty neat solution actually, nice one, maybe I'll just go for that instead, plus it'll sit tucked away in the armrest where it can't be seen. As for the maps, I have also "acquired" version 7.1, but not loaded it on yet - do you know if this updated map set alone will support 7-digit postcode entry, or do you also require a certain firmware version to enable this feature?

Thanks,
Iain.
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

Iain, you need to have a certain FW version (someone will know which) to get 7digit to work as well as the v7 maps....

my car (manufactured feb 2009) did not originally have a new enough FW for 7digit, hence my fiasco with updating it.....
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Re: RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Post by yellowplum »

Just started the upgrade process to maps 7.2 (version 8 will be out in October (ish)) my understanding is that you need to upgrade the firmware to take advantage of new features, as the new units now have 3 HD partitions and not the 2 previous ones. To do this you will need to upgrade the firmware to 38xx first and then to 39xx (if you want that firmware) as 39xx will not partition the drive.
iain_magic

Post by iain_magic »

mordred - thanks, yeah I figured this would probably be the case, how annoying.

Can anyone tell me what F/W version I would need to achieve this? My car was registered Sep 08, so I imagine the RNS510 F/W currently installed is pretty old school. Thanks!
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

ive been trying to update my rns with the vim cd but get a software downgrade message. when i plug in the vagcom it says H50 2840 for my radio. is that not the correct version or should i try installing the 2720 as others have done?
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

Upgraded successfully to firmware 1300 last night :D

Loving the 32GB SHDC memory card functionality!
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

I've managed to upgrade the firmware to 38xx, haven't had a chance to get the upgrade to 39xx yet. However I have reinstalled CD_7333 maps (7.1) but have lost my POI. Anyone else had this? Haven't managed to upgrade to maps 7.2 as everytime I burn a DVD DL it doesn't burn correctly so have ordered some VB discs to see if that makes any difference.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

yellowplum wrote:I've managed to upgrade the firmware to 38xx, haven't had a chance to get the upgrade to 39xx yet. However I have reinstalled CD_7333 maps (7.1) but have lost my POI. Anyone else had this? Haven't managed to upgrade to maps 7.2 as everytime I burn a DVD DL it doesn't burn correctly so have ordered some VB discs to see if that makes any difference.
With the 38xx software you need v7.1 or later maps to get POIs working correctly due to the new database format and the v7.0 (7333) maps don't have this. You should get them working again when you get the 7.2 map installed.
yellowplum

Post by yellowplum »

ayeaye wrote:
yellowplum wrote:I've managed to upgrade the firmware to 38xx, haven't had a chance to get the upgrade to 39xx yet. However I have reinstalled CD_7333 maps (7.1) but have lost my POI. Anyone else had this? Haven't managed to upgrade to maps 7.2 as everytime I burn a DVD DL it doesn't burn correctly so have ordered some VB discs to see if that makes any difference.
With the 38xx software you need v7.1 or later maps to get POIs working correctly due to the new database format and the v7.0 (7333) maps don't have this. You should get them working again when you get the 7.2 map installed.

My bad, thought 7333 was 7.1, hence why I don't have POIs, I will see about getting 7.1 also as I know the single layer disks work with the car, it is the dual layer that I am struggling with (7.2).
iain_magic

Post by iain_magic »

Sandeep / Paralla,

Thank you both for your private messages - I am sorry but I can't reply to them with more messages - I am not yet a full member of this site so I am not allowed apparently - not sure how to change this!

Paralla, to answer your question - no I have not yet tried this - I am a little scared to do it too! What I plan to do is first find out what firmware version I have, then upgrade before attempting to load the new maps on. Trouble is, I don't know how to find out! One company in Guildford can do it, but haven't got round to getting over to them yet, as they only open on a weekday. Perhaps we should just be brave!?

Sandeep - thanks a lot for all your advice, it's really concise and helpful - I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but like I say I can't send private messages, and have only just thought of writing on here instead!
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

@sandeep......
iain_magic wrote:Sandeep - thanks a lot for all your advice, it's really concise and helpful - I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but like I say I can't send private messages, and have only just thought of writing on here instead!
Be nice to share with the rest of us........

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Paralla
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

RNS 510 updates are a minefield! I've done a lot of reading and I’m still a bit scared to do anything to mine.

I think I have a Rev-C unit because it has the star button on the top right. The clock is displayed on the screen when I turn it off and I get speed limit signs on the map screen. Pressing the setup button when I turn it on tells me nothing. its a 59 plate.

Does anyone know what will happen if I update the maps to V7.2 without doing anything to the firmware? I really don’t want to brick it. At the moment the voice control, POI's all work great but I'd like newer maps and 7 digit postcode search.

So the question is - Is there a risk of bricking it (or breaking POI's or loosing any other functionality) by simply updating the maps but not the firmware?
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Nope, the 7.xx series are 7 digit full on. Just not installed myself!
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

RW1 wrote:@sandeep......
iain_magic wrote:Sandeep - thanks a lot for all your advice, it's really concise and helpful - I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but like I say I can't send private messages, and have only just thought of writing on here instead!
Be nice to share with the rest of us........

C.

No secrets... :)

"Hey Iain,

I just took the plunge and updated my RNS 510 unit to the 1300 firmware last night. It worked a treat and I've successfully tested the 32GB SHDC memory card. Since I have an 09 'rocco and therefore a 1T0 035 680B version headunit I just upgraded straight to 1300. Given that you have an 08 'rocco, from what I've read so far you will most probably have a "rev A" unit - specifically 1T0 035 680A. Now you'll probably have firmware versions 1000, 800 or 900 installed. I would recommend that you upgrade to firmware version 1110 - available here - http://www.my-gti.com/497/volkswagen-rn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rsion-1100 and then finally once this is complete, upgrade to version 1300, which is available here - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ic=23779.0

Let me know if you've any questions!"
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

The urls again - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... ic=23779.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.my-gti.com/497/volkswagen-rn ... rsion-1100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paralla
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

Yesterday I loaded maps V8 which went smoothly but I still don't have 7 digit postcode entry. I guess my maps are more current though.

I was pretty nervous about doing the maps and I don't think I am brave enough to do the firmware. My other half would kill me if I bricked it. When it goes in for a service I'll ask VW to do it for me.