DRL Survey

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.

What have you done with your DRLs ?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm happy with the factory default
65%
I'm reluctantly living with the factory default
11%
I got them disabled by the dealer
19%
I want them disabled but the dealer can't/won't disable
6%

Total votes: 54

arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Re: DRL Survey

Post by arlurt »

Well done.

Looks like I've got to have another afternoon at the dealer then... :rolleyes:

Do you know if they used the VAG-COM switches shown on the screen-shots above? I've printed them out and was planning to wave them at the service guy, but if the VW approved route you've taken is something different then I'd best not.
TurboTrev
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: Manual box

Post by TurboTrev »

arlurt wrote:Well done.

Looks like I've got to have another afternoon at the dealer then... :rolleyes:

Do you know if they used the VAG-COM switches shown on the screen-shots above? I've printed them out and was planning to wave them at the service guy, but if the VW approved route you've taken is something different then I'd best not.
Not sure I'm afraid, but the instructions they used were sent from VW HQ.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Fingers crossed that VW get back to me soon with a response as favourable as the one you've had.

Can I ask who your dealer is? Maybe I can get the York lot to ask 'em what they did...
TurboTrev

Post by TurboTrev »

arlurt wrote:Fingers crossed that VW get back to me soon with a response as favourable as the one you've had.

Can I ask who your dealer is? Maybe I can get the York lot to ask 'em what they did...
Lookers Darlington.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Contacted my dealer and asked them to speak to Lookers to get my DRL's switched off....

They've said they can't do that, they can only use the chassis-number-specific advice they've had from VW UK for my car.

VW have yet to reply to either the on-line request or the letter I wrote last week.

I'm about ready to blow! :grumpy:
TurboTrev

Post by TurboTrev »

Sorry to hear you're still not sorted. Lookers got the info from VW in less than 24 hrs. I think you need to speak to your dealership again? Good luck.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

VW Customer Service finally got back to me today, after two on-line requests and a letter. I've restated that I want the DRLs off. They say they'll investigate... :rolleyes:
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

I was told by VW that they could switch them off, but it would take most of the day to do, and then could not be switched on again, a sort of one shot deal, dont know if i was getting the bums rush, but ive decided just to switch to sidelights.
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

ive decided just to switch to sidelights.[/quote]

Ditto ! :clap:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Mk3Mike
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Premium package
RCD 510
Automatic Climate Control
BSR ECU-upgrade = 193bhp & 291Nm (215ftlb)

Post by Mk3Mike »

DRL is short for??
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Daytime Running Lights unless anyone can correct me.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

I'm now on two letters, three on-line complaints and several phone calls with VW Customer Service trying to get the DRLs switched off.

They have yet to reply to either of my letters or on-line complaints in writing or by eMail. They seem to prefer verbal communication only, usually to my home while I'm at work. I've asked for a written response several times but apparently it's very difficult to reply by eMail, because their reply has to be "spell-checked" which they say takes about a week... :grumpy:

I will call back again today to see what's happened with their latest approach to the Technical Department...

Saw another Scirocco yesterday, with the lights switched off. Lucky b*gger.
TurboTrev

Post by TurboTrev »

albertz33 wrote:I was told by VW that they could switch them off, but it would take most of the day to do, and then could not be switched on again, a sort of one shot deal, dont know if i was getting the bums rush, but ive decided just to switch to sidelights.
Once your VW dealership have the coding from VW (mine got it within 24 hrs - sorry Alurt!), it only takes a couple of minutes to do and they can be switched back on later, if you so wish.
TurboTrev

Post by TurboTrev »

arlurt wrote:I'm now on two letters, three on-line complaints and several phone calls with VW Customer Service trying to get the DRLs switched off.

They have yet to reply to either of my letters or on-line complaints in writing or by eMail. They seem to prefer verbal communication only, usually to my home while I'm at work. I've asked for a written response several times but apparently it's very difficult to reply by eMail, because their reply has to be "spell-checked" which they say takes about a week... :grumpy:

I will call back again today to see what's happened with their latest approach to the Technical Department...

Saw another Scirocco yesterday, with the lights switched off. Lucky b*gger.
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. I really cannot understand why your dealership have been unable to sort this for you, as mine did?
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

arlurt wrote:Saw another Scirocco yesterday, with the lights switched off. Lucky b*gger.
It is possible he may have had the switch over to the side lights?
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

How about instead of getting all worked up about it, and constantly harassing VW about something so utterly trivial, you ask around and find someone with VAG-COM to do it for you locally for a couple quid. :rolleyes:

If anyjne in Aberdeen area is needin it turned off i'd do it.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

I'm booked in to have the DRLs switched off next week. It's taken a deal of persistance, but hopefully this time I'm there...
Last edited by arlurt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

I was fiddling round with the light options this morning.
I know you don't get the fancy auto lighting option with this but I just flicked it to the setting to the right of auto >o< and the car just drives with the little sidelights by the indicators on. Much less conspicuous.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

DRL's now switched off. :nod:

But have also lost all Autolights functions. :shrug:

VW Customer Service told me I might lose "Coming Home" lights which is fine, and booked it in on that basis.

Checked the Scirocco last night when I picked it up, all manual lighting selections worked but couldn't check Auto because it was daylight. I was suspicious that there might be a problem with Auto, because the light switch Auto indicator was Red. The Passat courtesy car I'd had for the day (without DRls, and with fully functional Auto Lights) had a green Auto in daylight, amber after dark.

Checked the Scirocco again after dark and found no headlights on when you unlock in the dark, and no Auto-Lights on when you're driving after dark, and no Coming Home lights.

Spoke to the dealer this morning, they say that all Auto-Lights functions are lost by switching off DRLs.

I know other people on this forum have had their DRL's switched off, have you also lost Auto lights?
chr15
In: Rising Blue

Post by chr15 »

arlurt wrote:DRL's now switched off. :nod:

But have also lost all Autolights functions. :shrug:

VW Customer Service told me I might lose "Coming Home" lights which is fine, and booked it in on that basis.

Checked the Scirocco last night when I picked it up, all manual lighting selections worked but couldn't check Auto because it was daylight. I was suspicious that there might be a problem with Auto, because the light switch Auto indicator was Red. The Passat courtesy car I'd had for the day (without DRls, and with fully functional Auto Lights) had a green Auto in daylight, amber after dark.

Checked the Scirocco again after dark and found no headlights on when you unlock in the dark, and no Auto-Lights on when you're driving after dark, and no Coming Home lights.

Spoke to the dealer this morning, they say that all Auto-Lights functions are lost by switching off DRLs.

I know other people on this forum have had their DRL's switched off, have you also lost Auto lights?
That would piss me off, I would much rather put up with DRL's on all the time. Xenon DRL's look awesome though ;)