Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Post by RW1 »

whicher wrote: started at about 200 miles. Only squeaks from stationary using mild to hard acceleration.
That's not unusual for the newest version of the supercharger clutch. And replacements are generally the same if you have it replaced under warranty.
whicher wrote: Gentle acceleration doesn't seem to make it do it.
It will soon unfortunately.

It won't squeak/chirp above 3,000 - 3,500 rpm as the Supercharger clutch won't engage if you demand torque through the accelerator. By that rpm and above, its turbo only.

The squeak is most noticable when the Supercharger is engaged at around 2,500 rpm engine speed and the Supercharger has to wind up from 0 rpm to 5 times the engine speed, ie 12,500 rpm-ish in an instance.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
whicher
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2 Zone Climate, Cruise Control, Paddleshift, Colour MFD, Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenons, Winter Pack, Front Fogs, Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Tinted Glass, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Fixed Price Servicing.

Re: Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Post by whicher »

Ahhh. Ok. I'm loving it so far despite the quirky noise. Love the sound of (what I think) is the supercharger kicking in on acceleration from stationary. Sounds sweet! Loads of steep hills around here and makes a lovely growl, whistle (and little squeak sometimes) driving around. Hehe
Ordered: 27th February 2011
VW Confirmed Build Week: 13
Built: 28th March 2011
Delivered to Dealer: 21st April 2011
Pickup: 30th April 2011

Time from order to delivery: 2months 3 days :D