ACC Anyone actually notice the difference?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Re: ACC Anyone actually notice the difference?

Post by maisbitt »

VW used to claim that for ACC equipped cars, the throttle and steering response were sharpened in Sport. This claim was most prominent in early MK6 Golf brochures with a page extolling the virtues of ACC as an option VW would like you to pay for.

I'm sure the 1st Scirocco brochure also mentioned sharper throttle response, although at that time, the only model mentioned (and in production) was the 2.0TSI, so sharper thottle resonse might have been specific to that model (if it wasn't just VW marketing hype).
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
kane1210
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Rising Blue
Bi-Xenons
19" lugano's alloys
RNS510
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Voice control

Post by kane1210 »

Taken from VW

ACC is an innovative system that allows you to choose the style of drive you want at any time. Three ride settings are offered - Normal, Sport and Comfort - all at the touch of a button in the centre console. This operates the electrically regulated dampers and steering. In Sport mode, for instance, relatively stiff dampers match the changed steering characteristics, offering a driving experience like that of an agile sports car. The damping also adapts itself to the respective road conditions. Each shock absorber is connected to a control which calculates the optimum setting for each wheel from the sensor data and other information received from the steering, braking, engine, transmission and driving assistance systems. This allows the ACC to react continually (up to a thousand times per second) to bumps in the road, changing lanes or bendy roads, reducing pitch and roll motion and provide the optimum settings for every driving situation.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

When mine was dynoed for the itg intake there was a noticeable difference shown on the graph between comfort and sport in terms of the changeover between the super and turbo charger. The sport map clearly covered over this change whereas in comfort there was a noteable dip in the graph at the changeover
playing in my '86
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Oh and on the original question i can feel a clear difference too
playing in my '86
whicher
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2 Zone Climate, Cruise Control, Paddleshift, Colour MFD, Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenons, Winter Pack, Front Fogs, Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Tinted Glass, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Fixed Price Servicing.

Post by whicher »

Is it a really noticeable difference or really subtle? Just driven home 25 miles on the motorway and despite mucking around with it for the whole journey, the suspension seems exactly the same whatever mode it's in! :s
Ordered: 27th February 2011
VW Confirmed Build Week: 13
Built: 28th March 2011
Delivered to Dealer: 21st April 2011
Pickup: 30th April 2011

Time from order to delivery: 2months 3 days :D
matsa71
In: Reflex Silver

Post by matsa71 »

In my opinion, it's very noticable when doing hard cornering.
In comfort mode, I loose grip much earlier than when in sport mode.
Steering feel as well, most noticable at stand still, harder steering in sport mode than in comfort mode.
I would say that if you can't feel the difference when doing some hard cornering, there is something wrong with the system.
When it comes to throttle reposonse, well, there I can't feel a difference.
Sanders83
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

This thread has actually inspired me to play around with the ACC modes alot more. And although when I first got the car I couldn't tell the difference I now can. When going 90 degree turns into residential streets etc the front corner does lollop down and go squishy in comfort. But I have to say even in comfort mode the handling is still awesome. Very little body roll. Sport mode just makes you feel every change in road surface with a bump.

I do prefer the steering in sport mode though, and wish you could customise the settings so you can have soft suspension and sharp steering cos it is a bit floppy in comfort mode sometimes. I never actually use the normal setting. Flick from one to the other.
skyblues11
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

Maybe the accelaration side is related to the gear setting of the DSG.

In Sport mode, the first few gears are longer but faster upshift. This may have improved the 'responsiveness' i feel.

The Comfort mode also have short 1st to 3rd, keen to climb to 7th and cruise at around 2k rpm on each gear.

Normal mode is best suited for manual gear use IMO. IN this, the gears are longer and the suspension is about right. Steering could be a tad tight for the urban commute.

i wonder, does anyone drive around with the ACC on Sport and DSG on 'S'?
Shorum
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

Yes, there's a big difference:
The dampening of the suspension is increased in sport mode - less lift when you go over humps and less roll.
The brakes and throttle response is increased.
The steering tightens.
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Big difference.

Most noticeable in cornering. In comfort you'll really feel a lollopy roll. In sport you wont.
Gary_Monkey
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

I most definitely feel a difference between, COMFORT, NORMAL and SPORT on the ACC settings.

If instance if you drive round in SPORT for a day or two and then switch back to NORMAL it feels like you've got Merc air suspension! Conversely if you leave it in COMFORT and then switch to SPORT you feel every bump, camber and judder.

Skyblues11:
I never drive my 160 in DSG 'S' and ACC in SPORT for long periods (only the odd angry blast). I would have been banned by now if I had ;)
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I think I'll give this a go on the way to work over the next 3 days. Same journey and I'll check with times. Mine has been lowered, but the DCC still works AFAIK. No errors anyway.
fun meter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: MY12, 19" wheels, Leather, RNS510, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Premium mats, MDI...

Post by fun meter »

Dont even come on here that often and feel like this has been beaten to death already, lol.

Definitely noticeable between all 3 modes - steering weight/sharpness, ride feel and throttle response. Use comfort 95% time in winter because crappy roads and conditions, normal this time of year feels better, and sport for fun and track.
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Mine now coming up to two years old in July - must say that I have NEVER felt any difference with any of the settings !

Will mention it to the dealers - come the two year service

Jeff
Maroon
In: Sumatra
Options: Sport, DCC, Sunroof, ParkPilot...

Post by Maroon »

Anyone of you who has lowed chassi with H&R sport suspension and still feels the clear difference between the three modes? I don't.
kenti
In: Deep Black
Options: R-Line Plus, R-Line black leather, Xenon, RCD510 w/Dynaudio, Tinted windows, Safety alarm with sensors inside, Mirror pack, Light pack, Tyre pressure control, DAB, Telepone prep, Media-in, DCC, Parking sensors, Winter pack, 18" Mallory for the winter

Post by kenti »

Maroon wrote:Anyone of you who has lowed chassi with H&R sport suspension and still feels the clear difference between the three modes? I don't.
After fitting H&R 35mm lowering springs I still feel the difference between the different modes. I clearly felt the difference before, and there is even more between "Sport" and "Comfort" after the new springs were fitted. The difference isn't subtle either, you can clearly feel it right away.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have tested all 3 now in the last few days.

When I left the car in Normal for the first day (Thursday) the normal few bumps I avoid (drain covers) near my house, I went over and could feel them more than previous times I've hit them (comfort). The motorway journey was normal, mainly 60mph, seemed fine although when on the old surface of the 1st lane, it sounded so loud was unbelievable.

Friday went for Comfort and clearly noticed that it was not so sharp going over the drains. Also went round one big island here rather nippy and it seemed to not like it, so would test that again on Sat. Motorway journey I never touched the 1st lane as it was rammed and traffic was more busy. Seemed quiet in the other lanes though. In general it was a lot more relaxed drive, so the little bumps you go over I think are a lot less noticeable. However, when you go over a raise in the ground it feels like you're on a roller-coaster in comfort compared to the other 2.

Sport was for Overtime on Saturday. A lot more empty roads and I wouldn't recommend driving over sharp drain covers. Jesus did I hear and feel that loud. Went around the island a tad faster (no cars around so why not) and the steering was definitely more responsive and wheel itself was more stiff to turn. Seemed like you could feel more feedback through it. It was very noisy compared to the day before on any surface. Had to turn the heating fans down 1 and the stereo up 1.

I didn't really feel difference before, but leaving them in for a whole day must give the system time to adjust as I could totally feel a difference, even being lowered 30mm.

I have to admit, regarding the throttle response too, I think it's like the whole 98ron / 95ron thing in cars that are not optimised for it. It's a mental thing that works for different people. Personally, when it was in sport mode I felt the car be more responsive in all areas. Now perhaps that is because the steering was more responsive and the car felt more alive that it heightened my senses which gave my brain the feeling of improved throttle response, but either way, it felt there was more to the 3 of them than just turning and comfort.
matteeee
Options: DCC, RCD-510, Panorama roof
Window tint
8,5x19" ET35 Audi A5 wheels
Devil Eyes LED head lights
H&R 35mm lowering springs

Post by matteeee »

Maroon wrote:Anyone of you who has lowed chassi with H&R sport suspension and still feels the clear difference between the three modes? I don't.
Yep! Defenately feel great difference between all three modes (and most between sport and comfort). Both before and after lowering!
cornelce

Post by cornelce »

This is going to sound a bit silly but whilst test driving the roc a couple months ago, I definitely remember myself asking the dealer why is the steering wheel so stiff, and that was because it was in sport mode haha. Changing to comfort mode made a significant difference!
Scott_mac
In: Night Blue
Options: Multifunction Wheel, Bluetooth, Cruise Control

Post by Scott_mac »

It's amazing how quickly you adapt... my current Avensis is the first car i've owned that has power steering and it took me an age to get used to the light, lifeless feel of it! I'll probably love the Sport mode and find the suspension feels soft... if i hadn't spent 2 years in a luxo-barge!
Current:
2011 VW Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Desire
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
*Deleted to avoid embarrassment*