RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Re: RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Post by Ryy »

I need to ask something here.

Stupid question first. How long does it take to update the unit to V7 maps. Do I leave the engine on whilst doing it? I think the RNS510 turns off after 30 minutes. IIRC.

Then following on from that, although (I THINK) I have a B unit, can I just bop the V7 maps in and update anyway?

What's the worst that could happen? It fails and I just install my V5.x disc that I got from dealer? <- I don't know, but I'm guessing there.
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

Both the firmware 2720 and v7 maps took about an hour each. With the firmware it was easy to tell as it had the percentage on the screen.

I just left the key on the first turn ie before all the dash lights come on, I didn't have any trouble with the unit switching off.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I'm sure I can't flash firmware. Sure of it. So will just try V7 maps.
bianco
In: Deep Black
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

You can install/copy the map at anytime. It will copy in the background, while You fx listen to radio. Took 20 min. for mine to copy.

The firmware must be installed with the car NOT started. Mine took a little less than an hour (firmware 1300, the latest official for rev. B)

PS Installing firmware is: insert CD, reboot (press both arrows and "i"), press Yes/next a few times, watch progress bar for 45 min.
chani1312
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: bluetooth, dsg, 19" alloys, sat nav, black leathers

Post by chani1312 »

Firmware is 3810 official VW. Map is 7333 official.

Someone is selling this. Will this firmware version work on the version C rns510. My car is a scirocco R 2010?? Could someone get back to me as I know someone selling this. Thanks.
sand33p

Upgrade RNS 510 Firmware

Post by sand33p »

Hi All,

I have the RNS 510 Sat Nav/DVD system in my Scirocco and I've read a lot about upgrading the firmware for the system. I would like to upgrade to see what new features are available.

However, how can I find out what version I am on at the moment? I've read a lot so far on the internet, and have tried to hold the "Setup" button on the headunit for about 30 seconds until the "secret" menus appear. However, I've not been able to determine my current firmware version.

How on earth would I find out?

On a slightly different note, I purchased a 32GB SDHC memory card and formatted it to FAT32 and place an mp3 on it. However, when I insert it into my headunit it fails to recognise it and displays the standard SD card read error. I thought the headunits supported upto 32GB SDHC?

Thanks in advance.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Upgrade RNS 510 Firmware

Post by Shaun »

How old is the car, did the unit come with the car, is there a clock on the head unit when it's turned off ?, to get to the secret menu you need to use VCDS to reprogram the RNS, Only the early units let you in the secret menu without VCDS.
Why do you want to do the firmware ?, is there something wrong with it, do be aware that you can potentially break the unit by upgrading the firmware !!, I have seen quite a few people recently that have bricked their RNS by doing this, I would leave well alone unless you really know what your doing (even then you could brick it)

As for the 32gb card your firmware may not support this, later FW's do support these cards.
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

The car is a 09 plate and was purchased in aug 09, just before the 59 plate edition was released so it has the new features (like new steering wheel) that the 59 editions have.

The unit came with the car and it does not display a clock when turned off. I wanted to upgrade it to support upto 32GB SDHC as I've just bought one thinking it would work. Well, at least that's what my manual said.

If I could find out what firmware I am on, I could then make a more informed decision on how to upgrade.

P.s.what is VCDS? I've heard it mentioned a lot of times. :s

Cheers
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

sand33p wrote:P.s.what is VCDS? I've heard it mentioned a lot of times. :s
VAG-COM Diagnostic System. (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

3rd party Laptop/Desktop PC software which allows you to access the VAG cars diagnostics just as a Dealer's system would do. Therefore using it, one can interrogate various controllers and look at faults, make adjustments to the way equipment works and perform maintainance set-ups following repairs. ie. an electronic do-it-all spanner.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

Thanks RW1.

So is this the best method to use to find out what firmware version I have? If so, can you download the software off a website. I guess I'd need to purchase a special cable?
bianco
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

Would recommend firmware 1300 which is the latest (secondlatest?) and without bugs.
Also Update map to latest You Can find.
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

1300 really?

I was on the following website - http://www.my-gti.com/3164/volkswagen-r ... -2846-2848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argh, why is it not easy to find out your current firmware version!!

Does anyone else have a 09/59 scirocco with the RNS 510 system? It's never been updated since the car was made...
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

when touching the firmware, remember you can brick the unit.......which is a very expensive fix....I know I did it.....
bianco

Post by bianco »

I have an early 2009 Roc, with the RNS 510 rev. B. which I updated to 1300 and newest map.
My best guess is that Your RNS 510 is a rev. B with firmware 1100.

Version numbers 0xxx are for revision A (haven't look much into those)
Version numbers 1xxx are for revision A and B (they upgrade an A to rev B)
Version numbers 2xxx are for revision C (most of the features also work on rev. B, but it is not made for rev. B)

The last official version specifically made for the Rev. B is the 1300. This is as official and low risk as it gets. It will give You 32GB SDHC, speed limits and other features. Should definitely be combined with a new map.

Installation tips and walkthrough http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... ic=23779.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sand33p

Post by sand33p »

Bianco,

Does the 130X firmware update include maps as well? It won't remove the maps will it because I don't have a DVD to load them explicitly....

Thanks,
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

sand33p wrote:Bianco,

Does the 130X firmware update include maps as well? It won't remove the maps will it because I don't have a DVD to load them explicitly....

Thanks,
No Firmware version includes maps, but 130x is supposed to leave the maps on the HD so you should be OK
bianco

Post by bianco »

Shaun wrote:No Firmware version includes maps, but 130x is supposed to leave the maps on the HD so you should be OK
:yes:

When looking for maps online, please note that there are a western europe DVD (ISO) and a eastern europe DVD (ISO).
iain_magic
Options: Navigation System, Parking Sensors, Sunroof, Black 18" Wheels, Leather

Post by iain_magic »

Sand33p - just wondering if you had any luck with this in the end?

I'm new to this site, but I have a 58 plate Scrirocco 2.0 TSI GT and am trying to do exactly the same thing as you - I just wanrt to find out the RNS510 HW/FW version so I can upgrade the firmware (for things like SDHC support, and for better maps with 7-digit postcode entry etc). However, like you, the advanced stetup menu doesn't work, because this feature has not been enabled using a VAG COM thingy.

Did you ever find out what model of VAG COM (or VCDS) you need to do this? There seems to be quite a few on their website! I'm actually an electronic/firmware engineer so I'm slightly embarassed to ask, but I don't wanna buy the wrong one -they're expensive! Can anyone shed some light as to which type I want to be ordering (i.e. HEX-USB+CAN or MIcro-CAN or whatever)?

Alternatively, if anyone has one of these in the Guildford area and can help me enable this hidden setup menu with it, please let me know - I'll buy you a pint!

Thanks,
Iain.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

iain_magic wrote:There seems to be quite a few on their website! I'm actually an electronic/firmware engineer so I'm slightly embarassed to ask, but I don't wanna buy the wrong one -they're expensive! Can anyone shed some light as to which type I want to be ordering (i.e. HEX-USB+CAN or MIcro-CAN or whatever)?
HEX-USB+CAN or MIcro-CAN ... Both will work. Micro-CAN is OK with the Scirocco for all you would want to do but it may be limited if you plug into another VAG car if ever that was needed, particularly older models. Thats where HEX-USB+CAN will be more applicable.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
iain_magic
Options: Navigation System, Parking Sensors, Sunroof, Black 18" Wheels, Leather

Post by iain_magic »

Cool, thanks RW1, that clears it up a bit. Might see if anyone in the area can lend me theirs before I buy one though, just cos it seems a lot to spend just to enable one setting (don't really have another use for it).

I'm assuming a cheap eBay clone that claims it works with the Ross-Tech software is probably not a wise move?

Cheers,
Iain.