RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Re: RNS510 Updating and Experiences

Post by ayeaye »

I wouldn't upgrade to the 38xx or 39xx firmwares yet - wait until the final one has come out.
I've downgraded back to 2720 as the 38xx with v7 maps didn't let you display POIs (system hangs when you try and select them), and the beta v7.1 maps don't include all POI categories. Rumoured that the final maps and firmware are due for the week 22 model year changes.
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

However does this mean that the the new 4xxx firmware will not work with the C unit?
GeoffCapes
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Night Blue
Options: Cruise control, leather, sat nav, parking sensors

Post by GeoffCapes »

Does any one know where I can get a updated version of the frameware, as still can't use the 7 digit postcode function, even though I think I ve got version 7 maps. Think I must be running version 1200 (version B???) updated from 1100 (version A????) As still have the old splash screen.

Thanks
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Post by juniorbanks »

You can google "how to update RNS510 tutorial" it may possibly/probably be the top link, of course i cannot say nor post a direct link as thats bad :)
GeoffCapes
In: Night Blue
Options: Cruise control, leather, sat nav, parking sensors

Post by GeoffCapes »

Thanks for the hint, after updating the SW, the 7 digit postcode works, yea :o)
juniorbanks

Post by juniorbanks »

Yes but i just read your first post i think there is a bit of confusion, The RNS REV (A,B,C) is the model of unit with C being the latest (with the star button and LED screen) i have a REV B which came running software version 1100, which like you i updated to 1200. That "hint" will update you to version 27xx (cant remember the last 2 digits).

Version 27xx supports 7 digit postcodes provided you have V7 (i believe)

In short i am running version 27xx with version 7 maps and have 7 digit postcode plus many other little features such as standby clock, speed icon in top right of current road speed etc etc :yes:
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

juniorbanks wrote:Yes but i just read your first post i think there is a bit of confusion, The RNS REV (A,B,C) is the model of unit with C being the latest (with the star button and LED screen) i have a REV B which came running software version 1100, which like you i updated to 1200. That "hint" will update you to version 27xx (cant remember the last 2 digits).

Version 27xx supports 7 digit postcodes provided you have V7 (i believe)

In short i am running version 27xx with version 7 maps and have 7 digit postcode plus many other little features such as standby clock, speed icon in top right of current road speed etc etc :yes:
I believe support for this was first introduced with 26xx software - possibly 2660 but definately 2680.

Also there's two Rev C units - one with the older "info" button next to eject button and the "C LED" which has the star button.
richroc
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, sat nav, parking sensors, Ipod, Black VW badges bonnet & boot, silver A pieces, silver gear gaiter surround, silver rear seat headrest trims, Focal speakers, alloy pedals, golf-ball type gear knob.

Updating firmware on RNS510

Post by richroc »

As I'm not a techie and didn't fancy all the hassle of trying to download the latest rns510 software to a disc (sounded v complicated to me !!), I obtained a disc already burned by a guy on eBay.

Well it worked a treat and now my rns doesn't take ages to run thru iPod menus etc (this was really slow previously). Well worth it. You can find the bloke on the bay easily - just search for rns 510. His I'd is something like veedubs.

PS. Mine was a 2008 unit so had the original slow and buggy software.
Ian_Mac
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Re: Updating firmware on RNS510

Post by Ian_Mac »

Did you go for firmware version 2720? I notice that chap offers various different versions of f/ware.

Also, did you upgrade your maps as part of this process?

Thanks
essexbloke
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Folding mirrors, Satnav, dynaudio, leather interior

Re: Updating firmware on RNS510

Post by essexbloke »

Just been to the dealers to get headlights set up, They handed me a version 7 navigation DVD to update. Said they are calling people with the RNS510 to come in for the update.
Ian_Mac
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS 510, Leather, Winter Pack, Reverse Sensors, Electric Seats, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Xenons, Electric Folding Mirrors, Metal Pedals. Sadly gone now. :-(

Post by Ian_Mac »

Are there any major differences between firmware versions 2720 & 2760? If upgrading which one would be the preferred choice?

Thanks
ayeaye

Post by ayeaye »

Ian_Mac wrote:Are there any major differences between firmware versions 2720 & 2760? If upgrading which one would be the preferred choice?

Thanks
Not aware of there being any major differences, 2720 is an official released firmware (as it came on the RNS510 from the dealer in Nov 2010) and I'm sure I read somewhere that 2760 was a beta release - but could be wrong.
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

Carried out the update to 2720 firmware this morning as well as a v7 map upgrade and MDI update.

All went well, I now have the 7 digit post code, speed limit on map screen and clock on switch off. Only thing which is slightly different is the start up screen. Mine is different to the ones shown earlier in the thread, maybe something to do with the Dynaudio?
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I really need to get this done. I went to VW back when I had brought it and they advertised it with a tracker and it didn't have one, so was back there to get that sorted.

I told them of the 2GB limit and they game me some A4 paper with some VAS 5052 info on it saying that it's not possible to go past 2GB. The production change was modified hardware with index C. Although he didn't give a clear answer I think this means I have a B unit.

Does anyone know if I can update the "B" unit myself?

Ian what version is yours?
Evil Derboy
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Ryy wrote:I really need to get this done. I went to VW back when I had brought it and they advertised it with a tracker and it didn't have one, so was back there to get that sorted.

I told them of the 2GB limit and they game me some A4 paper with some VAS 5052 info on it saying that it's not possible to go past 2GB. The production change was modified hardware with index C. Although he didn't give a clear answer I think this means I have a B unit.

Does anyone know if I can update the "B" unit myself?

Ian what version is yours?
You can update the B unit with version 1300 firmware (if it doesn't have control and version 27xx if it does). That coupled with v7 maps will give you full postcode entry as well as all the other gubbins from earlier releases (improved stability, some added functions, speed limit displayed on roads etc).
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

Not a 100% sure what version mine was. Definitely don't think it'd be new enough to be a C being a 59 plate car.

All seemed very straight forward just pop the disks in and let the system work it's magic.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Is there a simple way to find out what version I have? I don't have any VAGCOM thingy's so please don't suggest! ;)

As I said it just says that "Production Change - Modified hardware with index C - planned from week 45/09". I also have a 59 plate car btw.

The maps I have downloaded are: CD_7333. Is that the one you had Mac?
Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac »

It was firmware version 2720 I upgraded to, didn't download the file myself so not sure what it's called (not got the disk with me at the moment to pop into the laptop and check, I'll have a look later though).
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

ok I am sure I have missed something....

My Roc whilst regd in Sep 2009 was made in Feb 2009. Not sure which version RCD510 I therefore have, nor which firmware update I need to search for? anyone point me to the right version? mildly confused over versions 27** and 13**?

Cheers
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

mordred1973 wrote:ok I am sure I have missed something....

My Roc whilst regd in Sep 2009 was made in Feb 2009. Not sure which version RCD510 I therefore have, nor which firmware update I need to search for? anyone point me to the right version? mildly confused over versions 27** and 13**?

Cheers
If you don't have the VAGCOM software (as I don't) then the easiest way to get the info from the dealer when the car is in for something.