Creaking From Windscreen/Dash Under Hard Acceleration

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
markjp
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Ultra Violet
With a: Manual box
Options: Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Electric 12 Way Seats, Smoking Pack, 90% Rear Tint, Gloss Back Door Mirrors

Creaking From Windscreen/Dash Under Hard Acceleration

Post by markjp »

I have just noticed a creaking/crackling noise that comes from either the windscreen or the dash where it meets the screen. It has just started happening to my car under hard acceleration say for example 30-40 mph and then flooring it in 3rd.

My car is booked into the dealers on Monday to rectify a couple of rattles I have, one was a similar sound to above but louder and fairly constant and under all driving conditions from the the area in front of the driver where the dash meets the windscreen, however after a test drive this afternoon it is not now doing it but seems to have been replaced as per my first paragraph. I think temperature may have something to do with it as the noise has been really bad during the recent cold spell, but today the outside temp was 10c.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar and what was the solution?

Thanks

Mark
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Creaking From Windscreen/Dash Under Hard Acceleration

Post by RW1 »

There's a couple of common ones that can cause this. The noise can travel because the scuttle panel under the bonnet changes with temperature. The noise inside can appear to be coming from the front of the dash.

The first was a MY2009 Scirocco problem and was fixed by Velcro pads under the windscreen where the scuttle panel slots in. Its been a production fix since MY2010 started. So yours should have this one fitted but the pads could have slipped.

The second is the scuttle panel contacting the suspension strut top. The fix is here. This is effectively what the dealer will do if they have to fix this one.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
markjp
Options: Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Electric 12 Way Seats, Smoking Pack, 90% Rear Tint, Gloss Back Door Mirrors

Post by markjp »

RW1 wrote:There's a couple of common ones that can cause this. The noise can travel because the scuttle panel under the bonnet changes with temperature. The noise inside can appear to be coming from the front of the dash.

The first was a MY2009 Scirocco problem and was fixed by Velcro pads under the windscreen where the scuttle panel slots in. Its been a production fix since MY2010 started. So yours should have this one fitted but the pads could have slipped.

The second is the scuttle panel contacting the suspension strut top. The fix is here. This is effectively what the dealer will do if they have to fix this one.

C.
Thanks, will have go with the second fix you mention tomorrow.

How can i check the first production fix hasn't slipped? are there any pictures on here?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Unfortunately not without taking off the scuttle panels which means the wiper arms have to be removed. Its on a plate in the centre below the windscreen where the scuttle panels contact when slotted in.
MY2009 Velcro Pad rattle Mod.jpg
C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
markjp

Post by markjp »

Tried the fix, but unfortunately the crackling noise is still there under hard acceleration. :(
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Mark - this 'crackling' noise, is it anything like a heavy raindrops kind of noise? Reason is, my wife has a new Polo, and yesterday we were driving along and I thought it had just started to rain as there was a sound like those big spoldges of rain that splatter on the windscreen, but there was no rain at all :?

We were not accelerating though, if anything this was when we were tootling along at about 30 mph. May not be connected, but it sounded too similar to the problem you described.
markjp

Post by markjp »

skippy wrote:Mark - this 'crackling' noise, is it anything like a heavy raindrops kind of noise? Reason is, my wife has a new Polo, and yesterday we were driving along and I thought it had just started to rain as there was a sound like those big spoldges of rain that splatter on the windscreen, but there was no rain at all :?

We were not accelerating though, if anything this was when we were tootling along at about 30 mph. May not be connected, but it sounded too similar to the problem you described.
Now you come to mention it, I did mistake the original noise for rain when I first heard it.
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

Does anyone have the full screen shots for this fix from vw. My idiot of a dealer says there's no such complaint or fix for the scirocco and they wanted to rip out my dash. Ill take great pleasure in showing the screen shots to them.
motorsportmatt
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, interlagos, 510rds,

Post by motorsportmatt »

im finding my roc full of rattles, there is a squeak from the rear suspension over bumps, a metalic rattle from n/s/r somehere, both doors rattle, the same noise behind the air vents(windscreen), the gearbox grates in 3-4 under acceleration
list goes on and on, its had clutch, wiper switch, headlight main beam stalk, countless ECU updates, wipers smear, TBH is not very well screwed together
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

BAIKAR wrote:Does anyone have the full screen shots for this fix from vw. My idiot of a dealer says there's no such complaint or fix for the scirocco and they wanted to rip out my dash. Ill take great pleasure in showing the screen shots to them.
You mean the two photos I posted above using Velcro Strip, quote them Tech Product Information: 2019361/3, release date: 03-Feb-2010.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR »

Yeah that's the one but I dont even trust them with that. I'd rather show them there and then as they denied there ever was such a reported fault. If you have the full bulletin I'd appreciate that.
SciroccoPL
Options: Sport package

Post by SciroccoPL »

markjp wrote:I have just noticed a creaking/crackling noise that comes from either the windscreen or the dash where it meets the screen. It has just started happening to my car under hard acceleration say for example 30-40 mph and then flooring it in 3rd.

Mark

markjp, did you finally fix it?