Daylight Running Lights. ARGGHHH......

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
pishpashposh

Re: Daylight Running Lights. ARGGHHH......

Post by pishpashposh »

true romance wrote:As anyone managed to keep the front lights on (main or sides), but turned off the rears??

Cheers,
TR.
why would you want to do this? fog lights are for safety when its foggy so in those cases the rears should always be on.

On drl's i have never been flashed or had people pull out in front of me. Volvo's have had them for years so it isn't anything new. i have to say i rarely notice they are on and they really dont bother me just like the gear change indicator.
Sanders83
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Bi-Xenon lamps

Post by Sanders83 »

I've been flashed a couple of times while running with the DRL's as some people assume the inner lights are the full beams but never with my xenons running. That said the xenons are very well angled and the DRL's are aimed much higher though not as bright.
caprinolaw
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

Has anyone noticed that the DRL's are now an option on the MFD?

I Have a MY2011 2.0 TDI 170 with Xenons and i can activate/deactivate my DRLs on the MFD.

Didnt think this was the case but for those of you interested there you have it!
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
juniorbeep

Post by juniorbeep »

not noticed that.... what section are you seeing that under? Anything to do with having xenons fitted you think?
Paul_W
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Reverse park sensors, cruise control, winter pack, Parrot Bluetooth Kit

Post by Paul_W »

I can't get the indicator method to work on mine. I set the switch to 0, key in ignition but not on, pull the indicator stalk toward me and down, turn the key and all that happens is the full beams and left indicator come on

Mine is a 2 month old 1.4 TSI 160. No xenons
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Paul_W wrote:Mine is a 2 month old 1.4 TSI 160. No xenons
Thats why Paul

to quote roccopedia
MY2009 (up to May 2009) with standard halogen headlights & MY2010.5 cars (post week 45) require VAG-COM to turn the DRLs off.
Note: not quite the same process within VAGCOM
Paul_W
Options: Reverse park sensors, cruise control, winter pack, Parrot Bluetooth Kit

Post by Paul_W »

Ahh. That'll be why. Didn't see that bit. Thanks
maq
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Post by maq »

Well, being the proud owner today of a 2010 Roc, I tried to turn my DRLs off with the stalk/ignition method... And it worked!!

Ironically, after seeing the sleek look of my black roc with black luganos and the DRLs being brought out of the garage for my collection, I've actually decided to keep the DRLs on.. it just makes it look even more mean and moody!!

Glad to know I can turn them off if I wish though, as I didn't want to invest in VAGCOM. I've got Xenons, so maybe thats the link...

Maq
skindemon
In: Indium Grey
Options: Cruise & Bluetooth

Post by skindemon »

mine was at a dealers yesterday, and they wouldn't turn them off (reason as mentioned earlier - it will be law next year) :(
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 089:EN:NOT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone is inclined to read it is available here as the directive, but does not only include DRL but also Emergency Stop Signals (ESS) and other items.

The rules are that all new cars will have to have them applied and on by the 7 Feb 2011 (With effect from 7 February 2011 for vehicles of categories M1 and N1)

Various European Countries have already taken steps to make it a legal requirement to have DLRs on all the time, even before the Commission passed the new legislation.

12 countries required drivers to drive with their headlights on all year round including Sweden since 1977, Iceland, Latvia, Macedonia and Norway since around 1980, Denmark since 1990 and Romania, Slovenia and parts of Portugal since 1998.

Four – Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic – required this in the winter only while Hungary and Italy required daytime running lights outside built up areas.
nd10

Post by nd10 »

I may be being thick here.....ESS?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

nd10 wrote:I may be being thick here.....ESS?
:google: & Wikipedia are your friend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive ... top_Signal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

On the scirocco the option makes use of the indicators or brake lights flashing. My set-up has been set up to flash brake lights by the factory/dealer when it was built & delivered.

On electrics controlled by 09 - Central Electrics controller (post May 2009 Sciroccos) is in Byte 16 bits 1 & 2
Bit 1 - Emergency Brake Flashing via brake light active On = 1, Off = 0
Bit 2 - Emergency Brake Flashing via turn signals active On= 1, Off = 0

Early Sciroccos pre may 2009 with 46 - Central Convenience controller Byte 17, Bit 1 set.
Bit 1 - Emergency Brake Flash Light active On = 1, Off = 0.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
JG400
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
Options: Bluetooth, Mats, Digital Radio

Post by JG400 »

A know this is a bit old but what applies now in 2011, I tried the stalk method as per the manual but it doesn't work I cannot switch off DRL , might use the side light method ;)
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

your car was built during Feb 2011 therefore is subject to the drl legislation therefore it must by law have daytime running lights active from the point of starting the engine (as I understand it, it will fail the mot if these are not turned on)
for your reading http://www.visitcars.co.uk/car-news/car ... Lights+Law
Jeffao
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenon's, Pano Roof, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Cruise, Elec Folding Mirrors. Smokers Pack (for covered storage area), BMT, Coloured MFD, Tyre pressure Ind.
RNS-510 SatNav (video-in-motion enabled) + Voice Control & safety camera database, VW Bluetooth (iPhone5) Led Drl's.

Post by Jeffao »

caprinolaw wrote:Has anyone noticed that the DRL's are now an option on the MFD?

I Have a MY2011 2.0 TDI 170 with Xenons and i can activate/deactivate my DRLs on the MFD.

Didnt think this was the case but for those of you interested there you have it!
Yep I concur, My MY2011 2.0 TDI 140 with coloured MDF & Xenons also has the option to switch off the DRL's in the MFD
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

Having managed to turn off my DRL's via the stalk method (MY10), I was astonished to discover this week that the setting is key fob dependant! If I start the car with my spare key the DRLs are back on again. Switch back to other fob and they're off. Weird innit? I wonder if any other settings are affected by change of key .....
Bill in Norfants