Tailgate rattle/clunk

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
marksmith34
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather, Cruise Control

Re: Tailgate rattle/clunk

Post by marksmith34 »

I finally got round to taking my car in today for a service + sort out boot that wouldn't 'spring' open + Ipod not charging. Stupidly didn't check things at the dealer, got home, boot won't open at all, don't even hear the lock make a noise..... Stupid dealer, and stupid me for beleiving they had fixed it.

Ipod charges again now with new cable.

I hate my Scirocco, so far 6 days in the dealer, worst car i've ever had... :grumpy:

Looks fab though...
brendan

Post by brendan »

i couldnt agree more with u mark,crap dealers here in ireland also,same trouble here with things not been sorted,replaced wipers for me,worse than ever,boot rattle still there,driver door window now making noises,i'm actually thinking of selling out,fed up with it,but prices being offered over here are a joke,mainly due to oversupply of demos from vw ireland,by the way,vw ireland WILL NOT admit to any of the faults constantly being reported day after day on this forum.i actually think they are a very highly overated car tbh.& i do think they will age badly over next couple of years. :no: :no:
KJ Byrne
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Full leather, 18"wheels, Multi-function steering wheel, Side window tints, Multimedia socket, metallic paint

Post by KJ Byrne »

brendan wrote:i couldnt agree more with u mark,crap dealers here in ireland also,same trouble here with things not been sorted,replaced wipers for me,worse than ever,boot rattle still there,driver door window now making noises,i'm actually thinking of selling out,fed up with it,but prices being offered over here are a joke,mainly due to oversupply of demos from vw ireland,by the way,vw ireland WILL NOT admit to any of the faults constantly being reported day after day on this forum.i actually think they are a very highly overated car tbh.& i do think they will age badly over next couple of years. :no: :no:

I've had trouble with my car also. I'm in Ireland also, my car has an annoying creak under the passengers side window, after many visits to the dealers turns out the car has a faulty spot weld between two body panels. I was told last week that VW Germany are on holidays, not due back until next week. The dealer reckons it needs re-welding, I just want VW's opinion on it. What prices have you been offered for your car. I've been offered from €19,000 to €23,000, from VW dealers and other makes.
pishpashposh

Post by pishpashposh »

Don't think i have ever owned a car with so many squeaks, rattles and clunks. VW seem great at using quality materials and engineering but screwing it all together seems like a problem. i need to take mine back to get my squeaky door looked at again and now the dash is rattling, not sure they put it together with the firm suspension in mind over other models.

No wonder the likes of Skoda come out better in surveys and VW dont get anywhere near the top.
eidooo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Post by eidooo »

Spiney wrote:Here's how I did mine....

1. Loosen allen bolt and pull stops almost all the way out
2. Very gently close boot, don't slam you are trying to get the boot to push the stops back in to roughly the right place.
3. Open boot and pull stops out by 2-3 clicks, then tighten allen bolts.
4. Go for a drive to test and readjust if necessary.

Mine are well extended which does make the boot harder to close but mercifully silent on the road...
Worked like magic ! :yes: :yes: :yes:
Thanks dude ...
Manno
Options: Parking sensors
Folding mirrors
Winter pack
19" Lugano style pack Black

Post by Manno »

Does anybody know the part number of the spring loaded stops? After adjusting them slightly to cure the rattle, mine have now snapped off. The car is only 6 months old so I could go see the dealer but I would rather order a few on-line. I think they will always keep breaking cos they are a bit of a cleaply made part. Thanks.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Its 1K8 827 761D. Last time (14.03.13) I purchased they were £4.22 + VAT.

C.

Hatch Bump stops. Buffers. Buffer. Bumpstops. Bumpstop.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

One of the dealers I took the car to noticed the squeak from the boot and placed a couple of padded strips in-between the boot plastic, I suppose it is a novel way of curing the problem, i'll take a picture and upload thought it was rather amusing.
crap80

Post by crap80 »

solved mine by adjusting the tailgat rubber stoppers with allen key as suggested by some....
now finally peace from the tailgate :)
vee
Options: Pdc and dynaudio sound

Post by vee »

Hi guys - my car also has the tailgate rattle - not sorted out as yet but as for the other squeaks and rattles...i had some annoying ones on the doors - sounded like it was right next to my head - only audible when going over bumps and bumpy roads. Had the door panels out to check for any moving parts but found nothing so we did this..

take Meguirs trim detailer and coat all the rubbers on the door and rubbers on the frame of the car where the door closes...noises gone!

Simple but has worked for me
yellowplum
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

Post by yellowplum »

This was also on my list for the dealer to look at - he adjusted the pads so far out that the boot now rattles even more. I think this is one for me to do next weekend....idiots!
00HVB
Options: Parking Sensors - Truffle Leather - Cruise Control

Post by 00HVB »

Does any body have a clue what size allen key i need to loosen the rubber stops?

Also could it be the plastic housing in the middle of the boot stuck to the back of the passenger seat? It seems quite loose.
"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Its 3mm.
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 857#p39857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hidden in the small print!

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
00HVB
Options: Parking Sensors - Truffle Leather - Cruise Control

Post by 00HVB »

Had a go at this today. Took it for a test drive round the block, and no rattle! :D Acid test will be on tomorrows drive to work. Fingers crossed,
"Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead"
yellowdfp
I drive a: R-Line
Leather
Cruise control
Panoramic roof
Dynaudio
Bi-Xenons
Electric drivers seat
Electric folding mirrors
Colour MFD
RNS 510

Post by yellowdfp »

Spiney wrote:Here's how I did mine....

1. Loosen allen bolt and pull stops almost all the way out
2. Very gently close boot, don't slam you are trying to get the boot to push the stops back in to roughly the right place.
3. Open boot and pull stops out by 2-3 clicks, then tighten allen bolts.
4. Go for a drive to test and readjust if necessary.

Mine are well extended which does make the boot harder to close but mercifully silent on the road...
I purchased a used Scirocco a couple of months ago and have been plauged by 'the rattle'. Very annoying. So, purchased some new tailgate sprung buffers from VW (part: 1K8827761D ~£5 each) and fitted following Spiney's advice above (leaving stops where they came to rest initially though) and hey presto - all is now quiet! Thank you so much all :).

P.S. A warning - I sprayed Servisol Silicon Grease 70 (from Maplins) into the buffers thinking to lubricate the internal springs but within 2-3 minutes both rubber caps popped off (like sprung suction jump-up toys). This spray seems to have melted the plastic retaining clips within and I had to buy a second pair :(. Must be the solvent used I guess - the silicon its' self should be pretty intert I would think. Perhaps 3-in-1 silicon is better.
Goodbye Golf (1992-1996), Corrado A (1996-2002), Corrado B (2003-2012), Scirocco A (2012-2014), Scirocco B (2014-2016)... Hello Scirocco C (2016-)
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

yellowdfp wrote:
Spiney wrote:P.S. A warning - I sprayed Servisol Silicon Grease 70 (from Maplins) into the buffers thinking to lubricate the internal springs but within 2-3 minutes both rubber caps popped off (like sprung suction jump-up toys). This spray seems to have melted the plastic retaining clips within and I had to buy a second pair :(. Must be the solvent used I guess - the silicon its' self should be pretty intert I would think. Perhaps 3-in-1 silicon is better.
Nope :shake: . They are re-cycled plastic. Best left free of anything and the drain hole in the rubber boot kept free of dirt.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 200#p94200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
mikey k
Options: Nav, leather & roof

Post by mikey k »

Just picked my used TSi up and it has the rattle
Will give this a try tomorrow :(
The Axeman
Options: -Bluefin
-Bi-Xenons
-Parking sensors
-Dynaudio
-Heated, electric, leather seats
-Winter pack
-OEM premium mats
-OEM kick plates
-OEM alloy pedals
-19's with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres
-Brembo sport discs and pads
-Goodridge Phantom stainless steel brake lines
-Needle sweep activated via VCDS

Post by The Axeman »

Hi all,

Just thought id post here seeing as I also found this thread helpful.

Had the rocco with no rattles, then one day i noticed i after opening the boot, the vibration of closing the drivers door made it click and lock back again as many have had in this thread.

Long story short, VW had car twice, adjusted and changed stops to those from another car which were dirty (not impressed !!), and basically went from boot relocking to boot rattling to boot relocking AND rattling!

Alas, I took the job on myself, decided to purchase 2 new (clean!) stops (less than a tenner for 2) - fitted, adjusted and did it all myself in 10 mins.

I found that it is nearly impossible to pull out the end part on the ratchet even after fully losening, so you may have to gently use a blunt butter knife to hold the stop and slightly pull it to one side as you pull on the stop.

VW had adjusted the stop all the way in hence the rattle AND relocking.

Car is perfect now, hope this feedback helps anyone else or adds to the correct comments from RW1 etc.

Cheers
andyfras

Post by andyfras »

For a while I've been putting up with the rattle, which has been getting steadily worse. I finally got around to adjusting the stops, not really expecting much, but it has fixed it completely! :)
yellowdfp
I drive a: R-Line
Leather
Cruise control
Panoramic roof
Dynaudio
Bi-Xenons
Electric drivers seat
Electric folding mirrors
Colour MFD
RNS 510

Post by yellowdfp »

Glad the fix has worked for others also. Over one year on and my boot is still pretty much rattle free thankfully, so this does work. Thanks to all for sharing.
Goodbye Golf (1992-1996), Corrado A (1996-2002), Corrado B (2003-2012), Scirocco A (2012-2014), Scirocco B (2014-2016)... Hello Scirocco C (2016-)