annoying rattle offside rear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
webbyal
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box

annoying rattle offside rear

Post by webbyal »

i have noticed a 'rattle/noise' coming from the offside rear of my scirocco. when i first took it to the garage to be investigated they kept the car for a whole day and then told me there was nothing they could do 'it was a design fault'. when i questioned this and said it was unacceptable they said they had tightened up some of the rubbers on the tailgate and suggested i take it back if it continued. it did continue and i took it back - they then said that the rear off side shock absorber was loose and i booked car in to have it replaced. they did this - but the rattle is still there!!! it only happens when i go over a speed bump or uneven road but is really really annoying.

i will have to take it back again but does anyone else have a similar problem?

:(
discowill
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, RNS510, Rear Sensors, Cruise Control, Luxury Mats & Full Promotional Vinyl Wrap coming soon

Re: annoying rattle offside rear

Post by discowill »

I sometimes have this same problem, however its only occasionally, I cannot pin-point its location either. Hopefully someone will have the answers.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Boot pop opener rattle ? http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/roccop ... t_tailgate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Shaun on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue

Post by juniorbanks »

Strat
In: Candy White
Options: This and that.

Post by Strat »

I get this too, dropped the rear seats to try to hear it better, only resulted in the exhaust being even louder than normal! lol fail
Rolling Deep...
3t3p
In: Viper Green
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

I get this now! rear, off-centre rattle!

WTF
atce

Post by atce »

Same problem here with a rattle from the rear of the car.
I looked at the recommended tailgate adjustment but I'm wondering if VW have changed the design as mine are sprung, like pistons. Loosening the allen bolt doesn't seem to do much except make the assembly loose so gave up on that idea :eek:

EDIT: Reading further and I now realise that they are all spring loaded, doh! :rolleyes: Still not sure exactly how to adjust them though, can anyone explain in words of one syllable please. thanks
Digiman
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: none

Post by Digiman »

If you slacken the bolt enough with the allen key you can pull the unit out slightly further from the main body of the housing. Then re-tighten the allen screw and see if that helps.
atce

Post by atce »

Sorted now, thanks
eire
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Night Blue
Options: sports pack, 18" alloys,sunroof.

Post by eire »

hi lads i have a rattling noise coming from the drivers side rear its driving me mad i cant seem to find where its coming from..HELP!!!!!
PDD1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: leather

Post by PDD1 »

I to have a annoying rattle coming from the offside, having took it to the main dealer today we went for a test drive and he said that he has cone across this before with siroccos & pin pointed the problem to the tailgate ^buffers^ (a piston like stopper either side of the tailgate that assists the tailgate realise) the car is booked in Friday to have replacements fitted.
atce

Post by atce »

PDD1 wrote:I to have a annoying rattle coming from the offside, having took it to the main dealer today we went for a test drive and he said that he has cone across this before with siroccos & pin pointed the problem to the tailgate ^buffers^ (a piston like stopper either side of the tailgate that assists the tailgate realise) the car is booked in Friday to have replacements fitted.
The buffers are easily adjustable using an allen key. Not sure why your dealer is going to replace them unless they are broken.
PDD1
Options: leather

Post by PDD1 »

Well I have had the new buffers fitted (under warranty) and it has improved, but not totally fixed the problem. I suspect that there was more than one noise. I now have a annoying kind a knock noise as I pull away or go over speed bumps from the offside which I have been trying to locate for the last couple of weeks.
I now think I may have solved the problem ! it appears that the noise is coming from the passenger door handle !!!!!!!! I know it sounds daft but having sprayed the mechanism with WD40 it seems to have stopped. Now I can enjoy the car without stupid annoying niggles :clap:
Mylene

Post by Mylene »

Hi, new here but I think I've probably had the same problem - i.e. rattle from rear offside.
Tried all the fixes discussed on here & other Scirocco forums but none of those stopped it.
After looking under the car I eventually tracked it down to a cable that runs underneath the car from front to back on the driver's side about level with the rear seat - there's about a 2ft section of this cable visible.
It's held in place with a sort of wire hook & the cable was vibrating against the underside of the car - bent the hook a bit to change the line of the cable and the noise has stopped.
...roadrunner...

Post by ...roadrunner... »

Hello all,
I had the same problem with rear rattle/knocking noise coming from the rear of the car under bumby roads/speed bumps. After several service visits with no solution to the problem, i have insisted in replacing the rear shock absorbers. Despite the fact that the dealer insisted that the noise cannot be generated by the rear struts (as the vehicle had only a milleage of 2800km), replacement of the shocks resolved the problem. After replacement no noise can be heard from the rear side of the vehicle from that moment on. We concluded that the noise is generated by faulty shock absorbes (abnormal freeplay in the main axle of the strut).
I hope this information will help others solve the knocking noise or rattle noise coming from the rear of the car on bumby or rough roads.

PS: I searched a solution to this problem on many Scirocco forums, but didn't found this solution on any of them, and it seems that a lot of scirocco owners are confronting with this annoying problem.
platham_1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: full leather

Post by platham_1 »

Hi Guys

I have the same problem, i have noticed this over the last few weeks and its now beginning to annoy me especially over speed bumps. I am about to speak to VW about this, be interesting to see if they take ownership of the problem while its under warranty:).

How can u prove its the shocks if they start trying to fob me off???

Cheers
Danscirocco

Post by Danscirocco »

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=10329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ignore the engine?!
platham_1
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: full leather

Post by platham_1 »

Hi

its the offside rear doubt its the engine its the same fault as others on this thread. sounds like shocks or something to do with the tailgate!
Danscirocco

Post by Danscirocco »

yeah, the engine was a seperate fault of mine..

But ive had VW look at it 4 times, they cant find the source of the rattle. One excuse was "flexing" a characteristic of a performace car with stiff setup and the chassis "flexing" creating that noise. To be honest i dont buy that!.
Christopher dean

Post by Christopher dean »

Problem is rear trailing arm there is a plastic gattor at the top of the arm thats the problem