What's your best ever MPG

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
markwiggy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, 19''wheels, sat nav, Dynaudio, cruise, 6cd changer,heated seats, folding mirrors

Re: What's your best ever MPG

Post by markwiggy »

littleyellowspider wrote:
markwiggy wrote:
char wrote:Seriously you drive less than a mile to work? Does that damage the car as it wont have got up to operating temperature?? :s
Very damaging over a period of time.

Mark
Why is it damaging?

We've all got to do the first 0.8miles, haven't we? Why does it damage the engine if it has to stop rather than continue?
If the engine does not reach it's operating temparature you end up with condensation build up in the engine which will turn to emulsified sludge which will restrict oil flow, also will cause premature exhaust and catylistic converter failure due to again not reaching a high enough temparature to burn of vapour/condensation in the system. The reason the back box on a exhaust usually fails first is because it is the coolest part of the exhaust and can literally fill up with water.Check when you get to work, bet there will be water dripping from your exhaust.

Mark
3t3p
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: R-tech Stage 1, Forge Twin take,19'' Talladegas, Rear sensors, Heated leather, RNS510 Satnav + Dynaudio, Tinted glass, LED Interior lighting, Electric folding mirrors, Custom mats, CBI Xenons, Yellowstuff pads

Post by 3t3p »

got nigh on 45 mpg over 20 miles back from work

My engine seems to get more efficient every day! I'm around 5000 miles now and suspect that it is really starting to bed in nicely now
littleyellowspider
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Black Leather

Post by littleyellowspider »

markwiggy wrote:If the engine does not reach it's operating temparature you end up with condensation build up in the engine which will turn to emulsified sludge which will restrict oil flow, also will cause premature exhaust and catylistic converter failure due to again not reaching a high enough temparature to burn of vapour/condensation in the system. The reason the back box on a exhaust usually fails first is because it is the coolest part of the exhaust and can literally fill up with water.Check when you get to work, bet there will be water dripping from your exhaust.

Mark
Nice one, thanks :yes:
Joloke
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Luxury "Scirocco" Mats

Post by Joloke »

63.8mpg :nod: :yes: :eyepop: :yummy: :D :lol: :clap: :hyper:
Be Kind To The Enviroment and Drive a Green Car. Mines Definatly Green So I am Doing My Bit for the Enviroment ;)
Andyh79
In: Night Blue

Post by Andyh79 »

Well, I've only had mine since Thursday, but on all of the journeys I've done so far, I've been 53mpg+ - I am probably about 25% in town and 75% out of town on most journeys so far...

On the way back from the dealers on Thursday I got 60.7mpg as I was stuck on the A420 behind traffic. I was mostly doing the 50-60 mph limit though... Can't believe how good it is on the fuel! :) If I keep going at this rate, my full tank is going to last 650+ miles! :) :)
Deft
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

Yep we see about 650 miles per tank if driving carefully. Long term average over 10000 miles has been about 47mpg, and that's without purposefully trying to drive fuel efficiently.
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just been on a huge round trip this weekend, the longest i've been in my car.

Drove from Newcastle to Southampton on Friday morning, 353mile trip in my soon to be replaced 140TDI. Tried to be good and stick to 70mpg, but I just couldn't do it. I ended up driving 75-80mpg most of the way (unless I was on 30/40/50mph roads!), and until I hit traffic in the last 20 miles, my trip average was 61.8mpg. As the last 20 miles took me an hour, my overall trip average dropped to 59.1mpg. After the first 1/3 of the journey, the outside temp crept up to 27C, so the aircon was on to maintain 17C in the cabin for the last 200 miles of the journey, not bad, all considered.

On the way back today, absolutely no traffic at all, did the same speeds, but it was noticeably cooler. It was up to 17C outside max, so the aircon was not on at all, and I "only" managed 56.2mpg for the trip.

I did 710 miles on a completely full tank, just into "0 miles remaining" on display when I had my last 10 miles left, knew it would be close, but the Diesel is 4p/L dearer down there on average, so I thought i'd try andsee if I could get back on the one tank.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
MickeyCheetz

What's your best ever MPG

Post by MickeyCheetz »

I picked up my 2.0TSI last week, and have just been on my first purposeful journey (45 miles). I must say I was made up that I averaged 45mpg there, and 42 overall!!!
scirocco
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

Post by scirocco »

Thats impressive the best I have managed is 41 MPG and I was driving like a granny....
the_tyce
Options: Dynaudio

Post by the_tyce »

61 mpg over 198 miles, driving at 65-70mph on a duel carriageway... sometimes within a couple of car lengths of a coach's ars*
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

AVG is 32, but I have done a 37 or 38 before going to work this past winter.
polo classic
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: H&R Ultra-lows and BBS RS-GT 9,5 20

Post by polo classic »

44 km and average of 4,9L/100 km

1,4 TSI 160 with 6 speed manual, avearage speed 70 (Town and motorway driving)
candyrocco
Options: 18" Interlagos Alloys
Front Fogs
& Smoking Pack (DON'T SMOKE!)

Post by candyrocco »

markwiggy wrote:If the engine does not reach it's operating temparature you end up with condensation build up in the engine which will turn to emulsified sludge which will restrict oil flow, also will cause premature exhaust and catylistic converter failure due to again not reaching a high enough temparature to burn of vapour/condensation in the system. The reason the back box on a exhaust usually fails first is because it is the coolest part of the exhaust and can literally fill up with water.Check when you get to work, bet there will be water dripping from your exhaust.

Mark

My mum's passat TDi has recently had the engine managment light on with 'emissions workshop' showing on the display, she took to Vw dealer & the backbox was full of water ! Dont know what they did but cost a few hundred quid to fix, they told her it was due to short car journeys, (The 0.7 mile trip to school is all the poor car has done for the past 5 years),
Last edited by trix on Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote fixed
polo classic

Post by polo classic »

polo classic wrote:44 km and average of 4,9L/100 km

Acutally did 53.46 mpg this weekend :clap: 84 km trip
rococco

Post by rococco »

polo classic wrote:

Good God, how? :fall: Were you both slip-streaming or what?

I'm obsessed by fuel consumption because of that darned MFD. Which can be a bit of a curse in a quick car. ;)

At what speed is the car at its most economical? Is it just at the point when it enters top gear (7th in my case)?
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

My best is 58.2MPG on 180M trip at a constant of about 70mph.

My recorded average is 44.1 (due mainly to stop and go single lane A roads on my morning commute).
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
caprinolaw
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Post by caprinolaw »

candyrocco wrote:

Mark

My mum's passat TDi has recently had the engine managment light on with 'emissions workshop' showing on the display, she took to Vw dealer & the backbox was full of water ! Dont know what they did but cost a few hundred quid to fix, they told her it was due to short car journeys, (The 0.7 mile trip to school is all the poor car has done for the past 5 years),
0.7!!! That's just lazy isn't it! :lol:
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
polo classic

Post by polo classic »

rococco wrote:
polo classic wrote:

Good God, how? :fall: Were you both slip-streaming or what?

I'm obsessed by fuel consumption because of that darned MFD. Which can be a bit of a curse in a quick car. ;)

At what speed is the car at its most economical? Is it just at the point when it enters top gear (7th in my case)?
I did mainly cruising at speeds from 70-80 kph. Keeping good distance between me and the car in front (to be able to keep the same speed all the time)

6th gear al the time. Accelration in 4th when needed
Gary_Monkey
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

NEW BEST EVER MPG:

ø 50.5 mpg

Got this whilst doing a 35 mile run on free flowing A-roads and motorway.

Imagine what I could get in a 2.0 TDI (140) :eyepop:

Happy days.

Gaz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
birdman66
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Leather,sat nav, folding mirrors, pano roof, 19'' talladegas, VW Bluetooth, parking sensors

Post by birdman66 »

Got a average of 37 mpg while traveling at 70 mph motorway.